• Advertisement

Storing dry dog food

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Storing dry dog food

Postby david80123 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:55 pm

I am starting to work my preps again and have come up against, How to store dry dog food long term. I am thinking mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, then stack the bags in a resealable plastic barrel. I am wondering how long that would stay usable, giver all the oil in the food. Anyone got some ideas on the matter. How do you prep for the pups?
david80123

Re: Storing dry dog food

Postby MoosePath » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:42 pm

We used to get Taste of the Wild dry dog food and I once contacted the company here in the US and asked them about storage life of their food and basically they claim a year from the date on the back if it is kept in a cool dry place (no special packing). I don't think you will get much beyond that, at least as far as I have been able to find. Like you said, the oil in the food would be the limiting factor. It would probably go rancid and I don't think short of freezing it you won't get much longer then that. I would love to hear if anyone here has a good recipe for storing dog food myself.
MoosePath

Postby IceFire » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:11 am

Dry dog and cat foods tend to start going rancid after a couple of months, because of the oils.
I've quit using commercial dog foods, since they make one of my dogs VERY sick--she gets pancreatitis. Now, I make my own dog food once a week (I keep it in the refrigerator), so all I need to store is rice (50 pound bag at Costco is just a bit over $14, and it lasts for months) beef kidney, canned pumpkin, and mixed vegetables (all things I store anyway, except for the kidneys). The eggs I put in the dog food I get from my own chickens, so always have a good supply.

The dogs LOVE it, there are no unpronounceable ingredients, artificial colors, preservatives, etc., and best of all, the dogs haven't been sick ONCE since I've been making their fool. Not only that, but it costs less that the commercial dog food.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Stahlrosen » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:58 pm

You will get about a year from production if stored properly on dry dog food. Beyond that you should have enough time to raise / hunt something to feed them. We can only feed the retired dogs raw, but if SHTF we won't be working our dogs anyway, at least not in their current capacity, so feeding them long term shouldn't be a problem. We raise rabbits and chickens and can hunt / fish for them. You can also dehydrate for long term storage various meats, and then add to it to feed them. We only store about 3 mo. dry dog food at a time because that's all we have room for, about 400lbs.
The food we get rarely has a year exp. date on it, and we order it from the company, so likely because of the very high fat content, like Icefire mentioned, it would go rancid before then. We have never had the space to store it longer than we do.
Stahlrosen

Postby MoosePath » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:39 pm

IceFire wrote:Dry dog and cat foods tend to start going rancid after a couple of months, because of the oils.
I've quit using commercial dog foods, since they make one of my dogs VERY sick--she gets pancreatitis. Now, I make my own dog food once a week (I keep it in the refrigerator), so all I need to store is rice (50 pound bag at Costco is just a bit over $14, and it lasts for months) beef kidney, canned pumpkin, and mixed vegetables (all things I store anyway, except for the kidneys). The eggs I put in the dog food I get from my own chickens, so always have a good supply.

The dogs LOVE it, there are no unpronounceable ingredients, artificial colors, preservatives, etc., and best of all, the dogs haven't been sick ONCE since I've been making their fool. Not only that, but it costs less that the commercial dog food.

We also had a black lab that was prone to pancreatitis. Most of the time when she was fine we fed her a good American made brand of dog food with no grain like Taste of the Wild but when it would flare up we would boil very lean hamburger and mix it with the white rice and that worked well for her and she loved it. Another thing she really liked and it was very good for her was boiled small chunks of sweet potatoes. In a pinch she would also eat then out of the can from the grocery store after we drained off the liquid.
MoosePath

Postby Cin » Mon May 01, 2017 9:02 am

We tried storing dry dog food and it went rancid in a few months. We now store canned dog food.

I also made homemade dog food for 12 years. One of our dogs had a gluten intolerance and I couldn't afford the expensive food. I simply looked at the ingredients in the pet store, and then went home, read up on it, and created my own concoction.

2 cups uncooked rice
4 cups water
5 pounds of meat (I use the chub at Walmart 70/30 fat ratio)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables

Cook the rice in the water. Brown the meat, do not drain. Add the cooked rice and the frozen veggies to the meat and cook until the veggies are done. Portion out in plastic sandwich containers (about 12 ounces each). Keep in fridge, freeze the rest. You can also can it in pint jars, but do NOT overfill the jars.

You can add other stuff, too - depends on what your dog likes. Not sure about canning the other stuff, I understand canning pumpkin is frowned upon.
Cin

Return to Food & Water