• Advertisement

MAY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: MAY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Tue May 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks Reb - I'll probably freeze some of the herbs, too.

Good to know about the basil. I guess the other herbs can be indoors in winter, too.

I finished 3 quilts between last night and this morning - they are small baby quilts, nothing big or fancy. Once the person who commissioned them makes her choice, I hope to sell the other two on our local online swap.
Cin

Postby Cin » Wed May 17, 2017 7:56 pm

While rootling (quilter term) through my fabric stash I found the top of a baby quilt I'd finished ages ago. Since I was already quilting the other 3 baby quilts, I finished this one, too.

We had a two hour power outage today due to high winds and branches falling on lines, I believe. No big deal, except I couldn't sew. I have a treadle machine out in the garage, time to get it out, get it serviced, and get it inside for days like this!

When the power came back on I finished 2 microwave bowl cozies for one of the kids who requested specific colors. I have a ton of small projects I really need to get done, but its gorgeous weather and we're enjoying being outside. :)
Cin

Postby jimLE » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 am

i got me 5 of these buckets at a yard sale,the other day..i have some emergency foods stocked up.,and in totes.i figure on transferring those foods into the buckets.and use the totes for something else.
Attachments
DSCN1912.JPG
jimLE

Postby Genevieve » Fri May 19, 2017 9:08 am

Stocked up on:

sugar
pepper
cocoa
cinnamon
whole nutmeg
dry milk
canned meats ( chicken,beef and pulled pork)
baking soda
paper products
dish detergent

Next up is :
white vinegar
cider vinegar
more tp
more bath soap
borax
canning supplies
sure jel
pickling lime

week after that:
gauze
wraps
antibiotic cream ( 1 & 3)
alcohol
peroxide
tape
bandaids
gloves
iodine solution
individual packs of tylenol
hot packs
quick clot
anti-itch cream
calamine lotion
lanacaine
athlete's foot cream
vaselene
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Yard sales and grocery store today.

Yard sales:

6 flannel receiving blankets (to be cut up for quilts, family cloths, and washcloths) - $6
2 rompers, 2 dresses, 5 pairs of shorts, 4 shirts for the little grand-niece - $13
1 pashmina shawl scarf - 50 cents
1 fleece top - $1

Grocery store:

Stocked up on what we used

Bought 1 can of New Zealand corned beef, to try it out. If we like it, we will stock up for the LTS.
Cin

Postby Cin » Sat May 20, 2017 1:44 pm

It's rainy today so we're working inside.

Husband cooked, deboned and is currently dehydrating a turkey we got on sale.

I took the bones, skin and leftover pan drippings, dropped it all in a crockpot and am making bone broth.

I'm also sewing today, several small projects that need to be done and out of here to the appropriate people!
Cin

Postby IceFire » Sat May 20, 2017 9:55 pm

First, daughter and I went to the vegetable distribution (@ 60 lb of veggies for $10.) and ended up with watermelons, honeydew melons, red onions, tomatoes, mini peppers, green and yellow/orange bell peppers, yellow squash, and cucumbers. Then, after going home and unloading, daughter started processing veggies while I went on a building supply run, and we spent the afternoon working on the stable. Got the decking for the roof on (now we just need to put on the drip edge, then the roll-on roofing.) We also got most of the cross-braces up along the sides, and the ones between the two stalls. After that, we got the 4 remaining plywood sheets up along two walls of the inside of one stall.

I still need to get the rest of the plywood to finish the insides of the stalls, about 12 more 2x4s for braces to attach the rest of the plywood to. Once we get the insides of the stalls done, the horses will be able to start using them, and we'll get the outsides done as we're able.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:26 am

Thinking about moving our preps around. Our little hometown took a pretty good hit this week-end we got about 7 inches of rain in 3 hrs or so needless to say the flash flood that came with it was pretty nasty. It taught me that everything can be lost very quickly.. Preps need to be a lot higher off the ground..
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon May 22, 2017 9:37 am

Since my dehydrator died on me--we were right in the middle of dehydrating a bunch of watermelon (dehydrated watermelon comes out like CANDY, because the sugars are concentrated) so it was VERY disappointing--I went ahead and ordered a new one. All metal, 10 trays (about 12x14) rear-mounted fan/heating element so you don't have to rotate trays around. Still going to try and see if there's someplace where I can get the heat/fan unit fixed, as that would give us two.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Wed May 24, 2017 4:45 pm

IceFire - what brand of dehydrator?

I am currently making more bone broth with the turkey leftovers.

Also finished another baby quilt. Sold the commissioned one! YAY! Now I'm working on a quilt for the little grand-niece. I found fabric from when I made her parents' wedding album, and so I thought I'd make a quilt for her from the leftovers. :)
Cin

Postby IceFire » Wed May 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Cin, it's a "Guide Gear" dehydrator from Sportsman's Guide. I've had it for at least 10 years, and used it a LOT. It may be something as simple as a blown fuse, but I don't have the knowledge to know for sure, or to fix it if it's something more complicated. Besides, I'm REALLY hoping I can find someone to fix the old one, so that will give us 2 dehydrators, which will double our current dehydrating capacity.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby farmer_dude48 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am

Transplanted a Apple tree that was growing in the fence row and wife transplanted blk berry bushes. Always try to make progress :thumbsup:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Fri May 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Grocery shopping and yard sales today!

Yard sales:

13 yards of muslin fabric (1 yard calico) - $6.50
2 double eagle fabric panels - $1.00
Xlarge Thermarest mattress - $5 (retails for $90)
Barn toy - $1
Steel bucket - $5
Graco Highback Affix booster car seat - $5 (retails for $60)
Oval talking Princess mirror - $3 (for the niece's upcoming princess birthday party)
Camp stove (never used) - $10

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
The Rainier cherries are in - got 2 bags, ended up giving one bag to my Mom because she didn't see them!

LTS:

2 cans of New Zealand corned beef

Yesterday,
I got 4 pints of bone broth and a bowl full of bone meal from the turkey carcass I slow cooked for 48 hours. The bone broth will be used for soup base, and the bone meal is being portioned out in the dog food.

We've been harvesting the radishes and lettuce for the past week.
Cin

Previous

Return to General Preparedness Discussion