• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Mystery illness in Liberia

Post about flu and other pandemics here

Moderator: medic94

Mystery illness in Liberia

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:14 pm

As if we don't have enough to worry about, an article on CNN talks about an unknown disease that both the WHO and the CDC are looking into:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/01/health/li ... index.html

11 dead so far with 21 hospitalized. Ebola and Lassa fever have been ruled out. Samples have been sent to Atlanta for the CDC to analyze.

Maybe nothing, but it's a reminder to keep up to date with medical preps while the news keeps us focused on other threats. I really need to check on fish to see if they have enough antibiotics just in case. :whistling:
dmwalsh568

Re: Mystery illness in Liberia

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon May 01, 2017 3:07 pm

https://flutrackers.com/forum/search?q= ... eria%22%7D

here's a running dialogue of what's currently happening and where it began ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ReadyMom » Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote: I really need to check on fish to see if they have enough antibiotics just in case. :whistling:
We were visiting soccer-playing son, in Texas the past few days. While there, he's so close to the border we went on another shopping trip to Mexico, so I stocked up again. (Did so last month, while there, too! :D ). My fish will be very healthy, should anything pop up 8) . I was also able to get pure vanilla & honey in 2 lb bottles for just a couple of dollars ($2-3!!) each! Both have indefinite shelf life.

Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Mon May 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Here's a link to the thread, over at Flu Trackers where this situation is being tracked pretty close: xhttps://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/af ... -ruled-out
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
dmwalsh568 wrote: I really need to check on fish to see if they have enough antibiotics just in case. :whistling:
We were visiting soccer-playing son, in Texas the past few days. While there, he's so close to the border we went on another shopping trip to Mexico, so I stocked up again. (Did so last month, while there, too! :D ). My fish will be very healthy, should anything pop up 8) . I was also able to get pure vanilla & honey in 2 lb bottles for just a couple of dollars ($2-3!!) each! Both have indefinite shelf life.

ReadyMom.... How does Vanilla help?....I haven't heard of that....
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby kenjabroni » Mon May 01, 2017 6:16 pm

One thing I am kicking my self for. I did not pick up any meds while I was in Mexico last year. I was shocked to see all the meds sold over the counter.......Maybe that shock turned on my stupid meter too.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:[

ReadyMom.... How does Vanilla help?....I haven't heard of that....

LoL! Sorry for the confusion. It doesn't. It was just one of my great purchases during the big medical stockpile. Those are just a few of the med bottles ... a sample. I got 6 bottles of the 'Deflenol' ... it's Mucinex. $6.95/100 vs about $41-$59/100 (depending on where you shop).
16 oz. of pure vanilla at sams club is $18+/16 oz .... I got 33 oz for $1.95! Same with the honey ... that 2# jar only cost $3.85! I bought 2 of each of those items. -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TuapekaGold » Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 am

ReadyMom,
A real shocker that there is such a disparity between US prices and Mexican prices for the same product. What causes this? Also is the Mexican stuff reliable as to safety standards? I was just interested as I have no clue about it.
TuapekaGold

Postby ReadyMom » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 am

TuapekaGold wrote:ReadyMom,
A real shocker that there is such a disparity between US prices and Mexican prices for the same product. What causes this? Also is the Mexican stuff reliable as to safety standards? I was just interested as I have no clue about it.

We also have family down there. Brother in Law & sister-in-law (married to hubby's brother). SIL is a nurse in Texas. While we were visiting them & some of their friends, I asked that, because we were talking about my 'shopping list' for our Mexico visit. I asked about the reliability of the meds. There was another older man there, who worked at a hospital, years ago. They all said 'yes' the meds are the same as what we get here. Actually, SIL had a plastic bag with her, on the trip, that was full of little empty med boxes that she had rec'd from her American doctor with scripts. She wanted to replace those meds with the meds from Mexico.

Someone on a Facebook page I belong to said that some vanillas from Texas have an ingredient that is a known blood thinner added. I didn't know that. I read the ingredients on my bought vanilla and it's not there. We also got boxes of Orbit gum. At Sam's Club, a club pack of 12 is nearly $8.77/pack ... in Mexico a 'club pack' of 8 is only $2.35!!! Crazy! Same stuff. -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm

WOW, that's fantastic RM!!
Stahlrosen

Return to Pandemic Preparedness