• Advertisement

Prepper Spending Challenge! How would you do it?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Re: Prepper Spending Challenge! How would you do it?

Postby NJMike » Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Nice Mike...Good preps.

I'm in a rental...4 bedrooms.....And while I garden(supplements a little, but it's more about getting the experience) I'm very limited in my space and production...Almost nothing gets saved past the season.

With that, and needing the portability of a future move in there, and being in the middle of a huge city, the freeze0dried option was a no-brainer option for me to get an immediate 3 month jump start on my preps for a family of 3 and starting from scratch...

I started with a bulk order of Wise.(I know, THE SODIUM!) but it gave me a little room to breath.... Since then(years back) I've been able to supplement and diversify....I've spent way over this specific budget listed(Family of 3) but I'm up to a conservative estimate of 7 months breathing room if SHTF with heavy rationing...water included in that.

I really want more "real food" options but I figure I've got it better than 90% of the 5 million people I'm surrounded by.....

Sometimes on here I second guess my preps as being inadequate or the wrong items from seeing how far behind I am from others, but I guess I'm grading on a "real curve" in a prepper community and going to judge myself harsher than when talking with neighbors/friends.....There like stated I'm in the top 10% at a guess. ;)

Thanks. We all have to work within our space constraints. I totally get that. I'd share that I've currently been in a 2 bedroom rental the last few months. All the food I've listed I've found some space for. I have a coat closet that is packed up to 6' with food for example. Once I move, and I'm looking forward to that, I'll be able to expand more comfortably, and a coat closet can be a coat closet. Of course if you're living with others, that space utilization matters more. A nearby storage unit is an option if you're confined by rental space.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Re: Prepper Spending Challenge! How would you do it?

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon May 08, 2017 5:40 pm

I think you do what you have to do. It's better than doing nothing at all.
As far as a challenge to myself, I'm a bargain shopper so I would probably take the lump sum and buy in bulk, dry goods, canned goods (to rotate in my everyday use) and get long term garden seeds.
BUT, most people cannot front that large sum. We didn't buy anything that expensive at one time. It takes time...years, to be where you want to be as a prepper and most would tell you it is an ongoing process. We started in 2011, thinking we were in the house we wanted to be in. Later decided to move to an even more remote area on a homestead. All our preps moved with us, buckets, #10 cans, home canned food, household pantry goods, everything.
Just because you rent, don't stop or hold back from prepping. You never know when it could happen.
Also, try not to judge yourself against what you read online. I can tell you that some people do lie about what they have. I never would've thought that until I saw it for myself.
You have to do what you can for your family, given your own set of circumstances. We don't know what the future holds but we are doing our best to prepare.

Mrs. Forward Preppers
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Previous

Return to General Family Preparedness