• Advertisement

Accuracy challenge

Topics about guns

Accuracy challenge

Postby Cast Iron » Sun May 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Using these targets: https://magnumtarget.com/products/knock ... piece-set/

And a .22 caliber Air Rifle with match grade ammo. Any scope.
Take two of the targets, overlap them so the "heads" have a 1/4 inch gap between them. The front target is the hostage. The back target is the bad guy.
Shoot the bad guy in the head from the bi-pod supported prone at 30, 40 and 50 yards.

Have fun.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Re: Accuracy challenge

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon May 15, 2017 9:20 am

Hey CI....Long time no see/talk... :wave:

Those are great targets...Thanks for the link.

We use these ones in IDPA all the time...(For those not familiar look them up, great place to get variety in "run and gun" on multiple course setups)...great for beginners to pros...Accuracy scored and timed(simulates stress)

Black is no shoot area...black hands is an entire no shoot target as a hostage or non-combatant...Fun stuff!
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cast Iron » Mon May 15, 2017 10:36 am

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Hey CI....Long time no see/talk... :wave:

We use these ones in IDPA all the time...(For those not familiar look them up, great place to get variety in "run and gun" on multiple course setups)...great for beginners to pros...Accuracy scored and timed(simulates stress)

Black is no shoot area...black hands is an entire no shoot target as a hostage or non-combatant...Fun stuff!

Greetings and salutations Driven.
I was in China for the past month.

I would like to get into IDPA or IPSC or similar, but the pistol requirements here in NY are insane.
So I stick with my lowly Air Rifle. For around here, the air rifle gets more use than a pistol would anyways. I have a target/rat rich environment.
And I can shoot off the back deck. Hearing protection not required, and pellets are cheap.
I participate in a few online, honor system air gun matches.

That second row of your IDPA targets, at what range are you shooting? What is the course of fire?

These reactive targets are a lot of fun. Nice change from shooting paper. I like you can see your POI as the pellet makes a mark in the white paint.
At 30yrds the head shot is actually easy.
At 40yrds is ok.
At 50yrds is when things get interesting. Not only the fundamentals but reading the wind.

I have also shot these targets at 100yrds. It is funny, at that range the pellet is in the air for 0.485 seconds according to Chairgun.
Then, PING!
And the target falls over.

Good times.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon May 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Cast Iron wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Hey CI....Long time no see/talk... :wave:

Greetings and salutations Driven.
I was in China for the past month.

I would like to get into IDPA or IPSC or similar, but the pistol requirements here in NY are insane.
So I stick with my lowly Air Rifle. For around here, the air rifle gets more use than a pistol would anyways. I have a target/rat rich environment.
And I can shoot off the back deck. Hearing protection not required, and pellets are cheap.
I participate in a few online, honor system air gun matches.

That second row of your IDPA targets, at what range are you shooting? What is the course of fire?

These reactive targets are a lot of fun. Nice change from shooting paper. I like you can see your POI as the pellet makes a mark in the white paint.
At 30yrds the head shot is actually easy.
At 40yrds is ok.
At 50yrds is when things get interesting. Not only the fundamentals but reading the wind.

I have also shot these targets at 100yrds. It is funny, at that range the pellet is in the air for 0.485 seconds according to Chairgun.
Then, PING!
And the target falls over.

Good times.

I understand. As crazy as CA is, we still have it better than Some very specific areas.(like 2 nationwide...lol) Air is great for keeping yourself in trigger disciplines like dry firing but a little more fulfilling...

As for IDPA, I shoot most often at Prado Olympic.(http://www.shootprado.com/)...This will show you(links below from at Prado) better than my words will but in general, all ranges up to about 40', multiple courses(normally 2 per bay X 4 bays) and all skill levels....Accuracy and time are heavily monitored...There's typically no shoot targets, at least 1 reload required, draw from concealment, and threat assessment(order of shoot) required on every stage.....Often multiple hits required before proceeding to next target.....Moving targets, poppers, barriers,Single off-hand, single strong-hand courses, movement, etc. are all part of the fun.

It can get a bit busy so patients between rounds is a mandatory or don't even go...This sport has exploded in the last 10 years so it really depends where you go...Prado, its not unusual to be there for 6 hours and only going thru 200-240 rounds.....BUT, for about $40 its well worth the cost(minus ammo)...You get to know guys, see different handguns(and their malfunctions) so well wort the cost.

We do IDPA on the 1st and 3rd weekend every month.

IPSC steel shoots are across the street at Raahauges(http://raahauges.com/) shooting park......I'll do that and 3 gun sometimes(private in San Diego) to mix things up on top of course with Falcon Operation Group(my favorite way refreshing as it's a lot higher intensity ... http://www.falconops.net/)

IDPA at Prado by example here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzGN_Wn5iPM

You can tell beginner here on this one but great representation on what to expect....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6XWEq1L1B0

You can find your local IDPA here.http://www.idpa.com/..I suggest going out to look them over if unsure as a beginner but if you're not ready once you see it you'll wish you brought your gun. :thumbsup:
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cast Iron » Tue May 16, 2017 7:05 am

That is a good looking range.
Cast Iron

Postby straightshooter » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:13 pm

One issue with shooting steel targets at pistol or rimfire rifle distances is bullet fragmentation. There is no safe place to avoid fragments. And, trust me, catching a 9mm bullet's copper jacket in the belly ain't no picnic. It makes for interesting looks from the TSA thugs.
straightshooter

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:47 am

straightshooter wrote:One issue with shooting steel targets at pistol or rimfire rifle distances is bullet fragmentation. There is no safe place to avoid fragments. And, trust me, catching a 9mm bullet's copper jacket in the belly ain't no picnic. It makes for interesting looks from the TSA thugs.

I can relate.
Took one to the cheek at a indoor pistol range.

Even at short ranges, lead air pellets deform into little squished mushroom looking things that drop right there. Makes easy clean up.
Cast Iron

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Good on you for practice clutch shooting. Best to punch paper, at those close distances. Many years ago, I was shooting a sniper comp. on the third day, we had the option of shooting a tennis ball hung on a string, at 100y, 17% downhill grade. With minor wind.

Everybody was given the option, I was in 4th, and didn't hesitate, the points offered if I hit was substantial. If I missed, o well. Carpa Diem. I was the only one to shoot.

I hit, and carried 2nd.overall.

The shots in your head. Know your kit, call your shot, put it where you called it. Your pellet gun is the perfect way to become very proficient.

EasyPesy.
Dirk Williams

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Sheeeeesh, forgot to add, the hostage targets is the gold standard for LEO snipers. Most police shoot at 100y or less. Today, those shots are being practiced at 600/800y. Unaware of any REAL deal shots taken at that distance. We liked melons. Left no doubt when you hit.

Good work CI.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:54 am

Dirk Williams wrote:Good on you for practice clutch shooting. Best to punch paper, at those close distances. Many years ago, I was shooting a sniper comp. on the third day, we had the option of shooting a tennis ball hung on a string, at 100y, 17% downhill grade. With minor wind.

Everybody was given the option, I was in 4th, and didn't hesitate, the points offered if I hit was substantial. If I missed, o well. Carpa Diem. I was the only one to shoot.

I hit, and carried 2nd.overall.

The shots in your head. Know your kit, call your shot, put it where you called it. Your pellet gun is the perfect way to become very proficient.

EasyPesy.

Dirk, most excellent advice.
Thank you for your input and expertise.
Cast Iron

Return to Guns