• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Bleach?

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

Bleach?

Postby bruce7267ad » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm

So ive heard diffrent opinions on using bleach to store your water in one of those 55 gal blue drums is either ok or a bad idea. So im a little confused is bleach safe to drink when diluted heavilly or no? Also how long can i store one of those drums in my garage off the floor with bleach in it. Im in southern az so it gets very hot but theres no light in my garage unless i open the door.
Thanks guys.
bruce7267ad

Re: Bleach?

Postby oldasrocks » Wed May 17, 2017 6:07 am

Bleach goes neutral in about 3 months. Three drops of bleach supposedly disinfects a gallon of water. Drinking bleach? Are you on a central water system? Then you drink a form of bleach everyday. I would NOT try using bleach in stored water. If you are trying to store drinking water, filter and disinfect before drinking, not in storage.

To have bleach in your preps buy dry bleach in tablets. It will last a year or more." Evolve" is one brand. Not drinkable though as scented. Do not use scented bleach to disinfect water. Instead be safe and buy water purification tablets.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby jean11 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 pm

We have a supply of water stored in 55 gallon barrels. After disinfecting the inside of the barrels and flushing the bleach out, I set them in place on a north facing wall and fill them with water. I add 1/3 cup liquid bleach and tighten the cap. Hubby throws tarps over them and ties them off. Hopefully the tarps will hide the barrels from view and keep them shaded. We also did this in 1999 for the - then - computer scare of 2000. I've forgotten what they called it now, but, six years later when we emptied the barrels we were surprised to see that the water was absolutely crystal clear.
jean11

Postby sageprice » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Run them out to the garden every year and restock
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Fri May 19, 2017 10:07 pm

I have a young neighbor, 25 years old. She has a whole house water filter and I have a Berkey. Her husband is an electrical engineer.
I don't think she even thinks about the water stopping to her house.
Anyway, I motioned to the bleach in the grocery bag and told her I don't use for laundry, but add a few drops to my water when I refill it...and she said...EWWWW!!
Oh, yes she did!!!
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Return to Water