• Advertisement

Curing potatoes?

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Curing potatoes?

Postby SuburbPrepper » Tue May 30, 2017 8:33 am

I'm a very inexperienced gardener. I have a small yard and I've been doing a little experimenting with planting some vegetables. I planted a few potatoes in the spring (I live in Florida), the plants are dying back, and I think they'll be ready to dig up in a couple of weeks. Everything I read and see on videos tells you to "cure" the potatoes by letting them sit in a cool, dry place for 10 days or so. My question is, in an SHTF situation, I won't have a cool, dry, place at potato harvest time, and I'm wondering what to do just to "get by", so to speak. I'd really appreciate any input from more experienced gardeners. What if I don't cure the potatoes, and instead, maybe just sit them in a dry, shady spot. How long do I need to let them sit? And, is "curing" them absolutely necessary? If you needed to, could you just eat them right after digging them up? Appreciate any info. Thanks in advance to everyone.
SuburbPrepper

Re: Curing potatoes?

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:08 am

Do not wash! Pack them loosely in layers of straw in a laundry basket. Store in a cool place inside. I used to process 500 to 700 pounds this way with very little loss. They were stored in an unheated workshop. The leftovers were used as seed potatoes the next Spring.
I have also dehydrated sliced potatoes and also canned potatoes, even the small ones with the skin still on.

Yes, you can eat potatoes right out of the ground. They are wonderful, especially the golf ball sized ones cooked with the skins on.

If you dehydrate, cut in uniform thickness slices and blanch for a few minutes to avoid blackening during dehydration.

Hope this helps.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby SuburbPrepper » Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks Reb. You helped me find what I was looking for. Basically curing them makes them store longer. If I don't cure them at all, they're "new" potatoes - taste great, but won't store for as long as a cured potato.
SuburbPrepper

Postby Fullmoon » Tue May 30, 2017 10:04 am

I usually leave potato's right in the ground and dig them up as needed. Cover with a 6" layer of leaves or straw so they don't freeze during December and January. Must have well drained soil to do this or they may rot. Have not had any insect problems and this will save time, labor and storage space.
Fullmoon

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:51 am

Fullmoon wrote:I usually leave potato's right in the ground and dig them up as needed. Cover with a 6" layer of leaves or straw so they don't freeze during December and January. Must have well drained soil to do this or they may rot. Have not had any insect problems and this will save time, labor and storage space.

Yes, I have dug potatoes in November that were planted in March. They were just fine. In Virginia, we don't get a deep frost line much, maybe a few inches.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby SuburbPrepper » Tue May 30, 2017 11:00 am

Fullmoon wrote:I usually leave potato's right in the ground and dig them up as needed. Cover with a 6" layer of leaves or straw so they don't freeze during December and January. Must have well drained soil to do this or they may rot. Have not had any insect problems and this will save time, labor and storage space.

Thanks Fullmoon. I didn't know that you could do that. Do you cut the plant stems off at the ground after they die back? Then lay down the straw before it gets cold? It never gets below the mid twenties where I live, and even then its for a very short time. So, that method would work great for me assuming I've got well drained soil.
SuburbPrepper

Postby anita » Tue May 30, 2017 12:14 pm

I've left mine in the ground as long as possible as well. Sometimes they grow again after they die back, and those potatoes were just fine too.

And even after I dig them, I always miss a few, and they come up the next year.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

anita

Postby SuburbPrepper » Tue May 30, 2017 12:52 pm

anita wrote:I've left mine in the ground as long as possible as well. Sometimes they grow again after they die back, and those potatoes were just fine too.

Gook to know, Anita. Thanks.
SuburbPrepper

Postby anita » Tue May 30, 2017 2:57 pm

SuburbPrepper wrote:
anita wrote:I've left mine in the ground as long as possible as well. Sometimes they grow again after they die back, and those potatoes were just fine too.

Gook to know, Anita. Thanks.

The only problem with that is that you should only plant potatoes in the same spot every fourth year. Otherwise you can get blight. I usually just dig up whatever plants have started, and transplant them to where I want them, but this year they got ahead of me, so we'll see what happens. I mostly eat sweet potatoes anyway, so only plant enough potatoes for a few meals and to keep my seed stock supplied.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

anita

Postby Fullmoon » Tue May 30, 2017 5:28 pm

The above ground green shoots will die back and fall off on their own. I leave them lay there to decompose. Its good to rotate crops if possible to avoid potato scab. I have a huge garden with plenty of room to build another raised bed and fill it up with compost and used planting soil. This year I yanked the plants in the strawberry patch, added last fall's maple leaves and soil, manure, granite dust, rock phosphate and a little green sand and planted last years seed potato's. They are doing fine. I always think I have dug up all the potato's till they start popping out where I planted them last year so I have volunteer's growing amongst the goose berry's and other crops. I used to yank them but have decided to leave them there, what can they hurt? That straw or leave mulch will break down and I turn that into the soil with a shovel every spring to add nutrients to the soil.
Fullmoon

Postby SuburbPrepper » Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks Fullmoon, really appreciate the info. from someone experienced.
SuburbPrepper

Postby bacpacker1513 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Lots of good info here. This is what I do and have done in the past.

I wait for the plants to totally die back, around here generally in late July/August, then dig them up. I always try and get them out before labor day, mainly because we sometimes get rains in Sept/Oct and I have had my taters rot in the ground (sometimes). I take the taters to my workshop and pour them out onto old bread racks in a single layer and stack the trays. This allows good airflow around them and the skins will dry and harden which makes them last much longer. I'll leave them out there until we are expecting a hard freeze (mid 20's or below) and then take the racks into the basement for the winter.
One year I planted two rows in November and the next late march they came up and produced well. That year I beat the tater bugs. Most years planting in the spring unless I get the out in late Feb, I have lots of bugs. I have yet to find a good solution for them and would be thrilled to find a tried and true solution. Neem oil, Sevin dust, etc. works a little but never clears them out.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 pm

bacpacker1513 wrote:Lots of good info here. This is what I do and have done in the past.

I wait for the plants to totally die back, around here generally in late July/August, then dig them up. I always try and get them out before labor day, mainly because we sometimes get rains in Sept/Oct and I have had my taters rot in the ground (sometimes). I take the taters to my workshop and pour them out onto old bread racks in a single layer and stack the trays. This allows good airflow around them and the skins will dry and harden which makes them last much longer. I'll leave them out there until we are expecting a hard freeze (mid 20's or below) and then take the racks into the basement for the winter.
One year I planted two rows in November and the next late march they came up and produced well. That year I beat the tater bugs. Most years planting in the spring unless I get the out in late Feb, I have lots of bugs. I have yet to find a good solution for them and would be thrilled to find a tried and true solution. Neem oil, Sevin dust, etc. works a little but never clears them out.

Bonide makes a spray especially for Colorado Potato Beetles. Alternate with Sevin to avert resistance by the bugs.
Re

rebnavy1862

Postby bacpacker1513 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks Reb. I will give that a shot.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:09 am

Mine are loaded with blooms this year and we have tons of bees. So happy to see it
expect more potatoes from less plants.
PatrioticStabilist

Return to Gardening