• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Mid Size or Full Size SUV

Discuss Bug Out Bags, Get Home Bags, and Bug Out Vehicles Here.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Mid Size or Full Size SUV

Postby guardsman79 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Looking to add another vehicle to the stable. I've already got a ram 1500 4x4 with some nice additions for survival. Looking at getting a SUV next. What's everyone's thoughts on mid size vs full size SUV's? I'm mainly looking between a hummer h3/durango or a tahoe/suburban.
guardsman79

Re: Mid Size or Full Size SUV

Postby Blondie » Tue May 30, 2017 10:06 pm

GM didn't get on board with rear fold flat seats until 2015. So if you're looking for cargo space that may weigh on your decision. Older models you have to physically remove rear seats and some have rear consoles between rear seats. I wanted something I could sleep in comfortably if used to bug out.

Fold flat seats were a must for me as was true 4WD which is necessary up here. I also read about roof strength and measured the roof cargo area to see what will fit.

While I don't tow anything with mine, it does have a good tow capacity and trailering pkg.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 am

guardsman79 wrote:Looking to add another vehicle to the stable. I've already got a ram 1500 4x4 with some nice additions for survival. Looking at getting a SUV next. What's everyone's thoughts on mid size vs full size SUV's? I'm mainly looking between a hummer h3/durango or a tahoe/suburban.

Do you have a consumer reports membership?

If not, I pay monthly....List the things important to you specifically you want and I'll be glad to break them down for you there....IMHO it is one of the most reliable resources out there for car purchases.

I'd need a list of importance in order for things like---reliability, luxury, towing capacity, safety, etc....

Again, I'd be happy to help there if you want.....here or in PM....no bother for me as I do this for all my friends.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Odin Gray » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Is this a daily driver with some bug-out capability OR a BOV with some daily driver capability?

I am not a fan of SUVs as BOVs as a pickup is more versatile especially carrying non-enclosed cargo like fuel, firewood, oversized or odiferous cargo, etc.

I had a 2002 Dakota pickup (4 doors and fiberglass bed topper) that I loved: it was largely unsupported in the aftermarket industry however.

One of the things to consider in any vehicle is fuel range when loaded: a large fuel tank and/or the ability to carry extra fuel is vital.

Consider ALL the things that you would like this vehicle to do and then buy a newer Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and kit it out with offroad accessories.
Odin Gray

Postby IceFire » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 pm

It all depends on what you need it to do, what kind of conditions you will be driving it in, etc.

For example, I needed a "daily driver" to commute 20-30 minutes to work, so needed good gas mileage; at the same time, I live out in the sticks on a dirt road, so AWD/4wd capability was mandatory. I also need cargo capacity for hauling horse/goat/chicken feed/grains, groceries, dogs/goats in crates, plants/supplies for the garden, etc., and some light towing capability (for hauling a motorcycle on a trailer, when needed.) We've also had 2 cars totaled by inattentive/moron driers, so wanted something with great crash-test ratings. Given those parameters, I went with a Subaru Forester, as it fit with my needs.

Moral of the story is first determine what type of conditions you will be driving in, what kind of hauling/towing capacity you need, range/gas mileage, how many passengers you plan on carrying, etc. THEN determine what vehicle best fits within those parameters.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to BOB's & BOV's