• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Bicycles; are they worth the Investment

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Bicycles; are they worth the Investment

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 am

Bicycles have been around longer than the car, and is still a major item in most peoples lives. What use can a bicycle have for bugging out. What type or style would one need to have, for building a Bug-Out Bike? How much weight is too much on a bike? What does one look for when selecting a bike. Now; we are talking about the pedal type of bicycle, not powered. There may not be fuel for a powered bike.

Does having a bicycle trailer help or hinder? Can you really haul needed items that way? Will a bicycle really help you travel faster and further? Will bicycles be a sought after item in a grid down world?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Bicycles; are they worth the Investment

Postby NJMike » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:13 am

I have 2 bikes currently, a hybrid and a 12 speed road bike. Both are old and without the features of newer bikes like lightweight frames, shocks, etc. I also have extra tubes and tires.

There are many types of bikes, and I'm no expert. I'm still looking to add several more bikes to my equipment, including a folding bike to keep in the back of my truck. I'll need more tubes and tires as well.

My rationale for a bike:
1) Getting back to home base if roads are impassible for cars/trucks. (thus a folding bike option)
2) Getting away if roads are impassible for cars/trucks
3) Extending range vs. on foot for non-motorized reconnaissance and trade travel
4) No grazing, watering, or shoeing required
5) Many parts are interchangeable between makes and models
6) Repairable with basic hand tools

I don't expect to carry much on a bike, although I've recently seen some people around my area with bikes loaded up with crates/bags like a bunch of 3rd world nomads.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:10 pm

bikes aren't only for bugging out - you'll be needing non-motorized transportation for getting around and hauling things ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:bikes aren't only for bugging out - you'll be needing non-motorized transportation for getting around and hauling things ....

Heavy-duty garden carts are more useful for hauling things around. I have a cart with a 400 pound capacity, that I can use to lug water jugs from the river or move supplies around anywhere I can walk.

But I do want to add some bikes to my preps since they are just so useful compared to just being stuck on foot. But even if I get a bike trailer, I don't expect to be able to move the same amount of stuff that I can on that garden cart...
dmwalsh568

Postby angie_nrs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Considering you can get a bike at a yard sale for $10 or less, then yes, I'd say it's money well spent. Many people don't realize how much time and calories you can save by riding a bike as opposed to walking or running. We use ours at the local nascar track when we go so that we can get around with little effort (as it's typically hot out) and use little time. Those 2 factors may come in handy if no other mode of transportation is available. Other things to consider are the facts that bikes don't make noise, almost anyone can use them, they take little space on the roadway (easily to maneuver around other objects), and are fairly easy to store. However, it's a good idea to keep extra tubes, tires, tool set, etc. on the bike.

I used to have a baby stroller with a front removable wheel and would attach to the bike. I wish I still had it as that would have been great to put things in for transport if the need should arise. After the kids outgrew it, I had an older dog that I would take for rides who couldn't withstand long walks. The stroller did create some drag but as long as you were on a flat paved road it was fine. However, in loose or sandy soil or going uphill, a stroller or cart may be pretty tough to pull.

Even if all you had was a bike without a cart, it would still be handy to have. You can do a lot with a bike and a backpack. I can ride to my family garden that is almost 10 miles away and grab some produce. Or, I could ride to the river several miles away and fish. Or, I could ride to the local berry farm which is a few miles away. Or, I could ride to my farmer friends house who produces honey and maple syrup. All you have to do is imagine the things that are within 20 miles or so of where you live and imagine how long it would take you to walk it vs. how long it would take you to bike it.......a full day's venture vs. just a couple of hours or less. Needless to say, I like my bike. :D
angie_nrs

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:49 pm

I would think in many places a bike would be a vital part of the preps. My son who lives closer to town, has one and rides his quite a bit. I don't have a bike, I have horses, which in my situation (right now) are a bit more practical as they can haul quite a bit, and can get up and down the mountain in any weather.
Stahlrosen

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:08 pm

The answer is seen Dailey aroumd the world, Europe and Asia are full of old bicycles. They don't look like much, but on closer review all the important stuff on most of those bikes is in great shape.

Think it important to have off road bikes and road bikes. Bikes that can pull a cart, without stressing any component on the bikes frame.

Tubes patch kits, chains and lube are all cheap and critical. My wife dragged home an older beach bike. Wide tires and single speed. After thinking it thru, she did good. ,this is a girls style bike built like a tank.

I'm starting to,emnrass the girl style bikes as easier to mount dis mount, and not cause lots of pain to us boys, should we slip off the peddles.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:45 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:bikes aren't only for bugging out - you'll be needing non-motorized transportation for getting around and hauling things ....

Heavy-duty garden carts are more useful for hauling things around. I have a cart with a 400 pound capacity, that I can use to lug water jugs from the river or move supplies around anywhere I can walk.

But I do want to add some bikes to my preps since they are just so useful compared to just being stuck on foot. But even if I get a bike trailer, I don't expect to be able to move the same amount of stuff that I can on that garden cart...

???? '- lucky you if you EVER have that much to haul during a SHTF - target that big is hard to miss .... how's a heavy garden cart taking you 5 miles down the road to Bartertown Flea Market for exchanging a few pounds of goods for another few pounds in return .... and like most people - hard to store - innocuous - SHTF only items aren't going to cut it for preppers ... you're an anomaly having current day to day use - we use a thing called a truck ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby dmwalsh568 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:04 am

Illini Warrior wrote:
dmwalsh568 wrote:

???? '- lucky you if you EVER have that much to haul during a SHTF - target that big is hard to miss .... how's a heavy garden cart taking you 5 miles down the road to Bartertown Flea Market for exchanging a few pounds of goods for another few pounds in return .... and like most people - hard to store - innocuous - SHTF only items aren't going to cut it for preppers ... you're an anomaly having current day to day use - we use a thing called a truck ....

I am pretty lucky that I have room for occasional use only items. The garden cart gets used only a few times a year for moving things around during planting season and for fall cleanup. But it's durable enough that I really got it to haul water. I'm not as young as I used to be and I don't want to have to haul water by hand from the river every day if the SHTF. By having the cart I can haul 25 gallons back from the river and not have to worry about going back for a few days to a week depending on how many folks make it to my place.

And sure, if I was going to the local post SHTF flea market then I'd be a fool to bring a cart fully loaded with barter supplies, but I'm not a fool and have backpacks and smaller carts too. I plan on blending in and not being a juicy target - although a large part of that will be not going to any trading markets until well after things have stabilized. No reason to advertise I have more than others.

I just wanted folks to think about carts as well as bikes. Bikes give you range, but carts let you haul heavy stuff around - water, rocks/bricks, wood, or whatever.
dmwalsh568

Postby sageprice » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:43 am

I found that a bike is a good prep item, SO LONG as you use frequently. Nothing is worse than relearning how to use a tool that will wear you down because you are not use to it. Even an exercise bike will get those old legs use to pedaling long distance.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:58 am

I have thought about this too. I was once considering a bike with an electric motor and lithium battery. Some of them recharge going down hill.

Also a trailer is a good thing.

C:\Users\matr06047\Desktop\2017-06-08 11_55_48-Amazon.com _ Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Child Steel Bicycle Trailer, Red _ Sports & O.png
Attachments
2017-06-08 11_55_48-Amazon.com _ Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Child Steel Bicycle Trailer, Red _ Sports & O.png
2017-06-08 11_55_48-Amazon.com _ Allen Sports Deluxe 2-Child Steel Bicycle Trailer, Red _ Sports & O.png (224.2 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 pm

That trailer isn't much different than mine, it has regular rail sides and a liner with a cover to keep things dry. Very lite and easy to pull, I put my weights in it sometimes and pull it loaded with about 70 to 75 pounds. At first it would ware me out, but after a short time, I got use to the extra load.

The big thing is going through the woods after it has rained, Hard going here. Don't do that much. Had ended up pushing it a couple of times. Tires like those on the beach bikes would work better, but that's a different type of bike all together. :'(
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Gunns » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Cadit wrote:That trailer isn't much different than mine, it has regular rail sides and a liner with a cover to keep things dry. Very lite and easy to pull, I put my weights in it sometimes and pull it loaded with about 70 to 75 pounds. At first it would ware me out, but after a short time, I got use to the extra load.

The big thing is going through the woods after it has rained, Hard going here. Don't do that much. Had ended up pushing it a couple of times. Tires like those on the beach bikes would work better, but that's a different type of bike all together. :'(

I don't think I would even try to go through a woods with a trailer. Most likely burn more energy then if you did several trips with the bike and back pack.

I was thinking more like bugging out early, before the people finally realize they are screwed. Or after all the violence subsides and you need to get around.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Me too Gunns; There are very few developments that would make me bug out, but if they did develop, I would head out as early as possible. Another prepper group I hitched my wagon to, advocates purchasing at least a small one acre track of land as a BOL. Myself, I don't know if a one acre of land will provide me with enough substance to make it on. Everything I've read says a minimal of two acres is needed. But I guess, one acre is better than no land at all.

I understand the safe haven idea of the one acre to get you out and away from danger, and I've seen one acre farms as it were, but it's so compacted. and you are right, it would be easier to make several trips, but with each trip, you run the risk of being noticed and followed.

As I told a friend of mine, when asked about buying property, I suggested that he purchase at least acres of land, land that has a lot of hard words on it. He could then turn around and sold the trees off it and pay off the land. He did this and paid off his land and had clear title to it. Then turned around and built him a house also and now has a clear title to it as well. When he sold the trees, he did what is called select cut, that means they went through and cut only certain trees, not all. So now he has a beautiful small farm, which is listed as a farm, the government pays him not to plant except that which he needs for him and his family, he get also farm privileges for his vehicles, equipment, gas and much, much more. He's one of those who falls in muck and it turns out to be oil. Another friend did well also that I told this to. He now owns six (6) stores, I never pay for anything when I go there. of course I don't go very often, and I do try to pay.

But I understand about the Multiple trips, and being my age, I too would most likely do the same. But very carefully. :shakeyes:
Cadit
Cadit

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:07 pm

I have bikes and agree with sage, if you don't use them frequently - you might as well not own them. Carts are another matter! If there is any chance you would need to go off road or haul stuff through the woods, get a quality deer cart! I use mine almost every week taking stuff into and out of camps. I can easily move two hundred pounds through the woods. I could haul more, but that is what works for me without getting hurt. Just like bikes, you need to use it or don't bother. Mine is rigged to work as a trailer for a bike or four wheeler, but have rarely used it that way.

With a harness I can easily pull two hundred pounds through the woods while making nearly no noise and clearly seeing where I'm going. Just another option to consider. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.