• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

The Gray House

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

The Gray House

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:44 am

How does one make his or her home a Gray House? Becoming invisible to your neighbors and in the community. Keeping those who want what you have from looking at you as a possible supply depot. How far do you go in defending your home from looters? When is life and limb more important than supplies? Becoming a Gray House is a very important factor in the Initial break down of society. Not being looked at as a target for supplies, weapons or anything.

I read a story about two men in Egypt, one very poor the other very rich. The poor mans house looked like every other poor house in the area, but just a few blocks over, the rich houses stood. The rich man had very high walls around his house, security systems, food & water supplies. A safe room and all the things we perceive as safety items to protect us from vandals, looters and thugs. The poor man had just as much food and water supplies as the rich man, but no high walls to keep people out, no security systems, no safe room, just a small house that looked like every other poor mans house.

The rich man was robbed and killed and all his stored goods taken by a mob of hungry people rioting in the streets. A couple who was visiting the rich man, escaped and the poor man hid them until help could arrive to get them out. The moral of this story, is that the poor man didn't do things that made him stand out in the crowd. He blended in. A true story.

So; What would you do to become a Gray House?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: The Gray House

Postby Gunns » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 am

Can't. Not where I am. I have a nice place surrounded by not so nice places. I am busy making friends. Only thing I will do.

I was brought up to do the maintenance required in our home. Painted, neat, mowed and clean. Can't help it. Don't have a lot of worthless crap but still I stick out.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:05 pm

that stupid BS about disguising your home for looters to bypass - is by far the lamest prepper bull going - especially the idiots that think fake pandemic signs will scare away the starving looters - advertise that the only one home are diseased corpses - that'll drive them away ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby NJMike » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm currently in a transition space (duplex rental) for the next few months until my house sells, so in my case it's kinda gray, but still not where I want to be... It looks like all the other units, excepting a container garden and bicycle parked out on the back patio. It's not my ideal location, but it is what it is for the short term.

I will hopefully be moving the end of year, back into a home and out of NJ if all goes as planned.

Some ideas I'll be taking with me in home selection and property maintenance:

1) A home out of direct view from a major road and hopefully neighbors as well
2) Equipment and tools kept indoors when not in use
3) Animal areas kept under tree cover where possible
4) Buried or concealed cisterns
5) Solar panels below treeline, and only deployed during the day, if possible
6) Minimize reflective surfaces
7) Concealable fuel, i.e.- avoid exposed walls of firewood look or large visible storage tanks.
8) No "get off my land or I'll shoot" signs
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:20 pm

I think some have missed the whole point, don't go putting up security fences, or covering front, back and sides with flood lights that looks like a runway. Just be like everyone else on your street and community. Don't go making yourself a target. The pandemic signage is a deterrent just like a large dog. But you are right to a degree, if you put out a sign on a plague, that's too soon for that have happened, and was not part of a known health issues. You would stand out big time.

Nothing was said or implied to disguising your home, just don't go dumb-ass crazy putting in all kinds of security that is visible, that would draw undue attention to you and your family, putting you in the spot light.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby sageprice » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:56 am

Cadit wrote:I think some have missed the whole point, don't go putting up security fences, or covering front, back and sides with flood lights that looks like a runway. Just be like everyone else on your street and community. Don't go making yourself a target. The pandemic signage is a deterrent just like a large dog. But you are right to a degree, if you put out a sign on a plague, that's too soon for that have happened, and was not part of a known health issues. You would stand out big time.

Nothing was said or implied to disguising your home, just don't go dumb-ass crazy putting in all kinds of security that is visible, that would draw undue attention to you and your family, putting you in the spot light.

Totally agree, you can have a GRAY house by not advertising. Better a rose hedge than a blank wall. Better ducks than a roaming dogs. Better noise sensors than motion sensors. Better a delayed grass cutting than a manicured lawn. Blend in and slightly below the norm. Do not stand out.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Appositely right; If you are looking to blend in, then don't advertise your goods. It's like being the gray man, it take practice, then over time, people will stop noticing you. It is hardest for people that are naturally extraverts to tone down and not be the center of everyone's attention. And the same goes for their house, the more beautiful, innate and ornamental it is the more people notice. But the same can be said about the unkempt property. It too will draw attention you don't want. If people are aware of you and your home, they will also noticed things you bring into your home, and how much. :shock:
Cadit
Cadit

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 pm

While it is not possible to disappear, there are hundreds of things you can do to tone things down. I pity those who can only think in black or white. Just like I don't wear my best cloths or drive a Porsche when I go antiquing and running the junk shops! My home is on the upper end and there is nothing I would change about that. Why give up today for something that may not happen in my lifetime? I have been waiting for the big one for thirty years - any questions?

Thieves will hit the easiest target first in our normal world and a decent level of security makes sense. If it all goes to hell, everything is a target. If your foolish enough to keep all you stuff in one spot, think you can defend it under any circumstances, or think more than one person will ever keep a secrete - good luck!

Rural and small town homes offer some advantages, but there are no secrets in small towns! Then there is that annoying fact that most rural crimes are committed on people by people they know. Your neighbors may be good people, but what about all their kids, relatives, and in laws? Prepping is downright silly if it does not include what you know will happen! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Matte » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49 am

My home is tan. :)

Since you post your identity in your signature I spent a couple minutes looking at your locale, area demographics, and home details. Our situations could hardly be more opposite. Like Gunns, my home stands out although you have to view it from satellite images since it's not visible from the road (or even from my gate). You're in a metro area of over 2 million people, my home is over 150 miles away from a city that large. Your population density is about 1,300 per sq mile, my county has less than 20 per sq mile and I know for a fact there's only 4 people in the sq mile around us. You have a 1/3 acre lot in a subdivision about 50' from the road, we have 10 acres (two acres fenced/gated) and bordered by public land on three sides with a 200 yard driveway. Not to suggest either situation is better in all scenarios, just highlighting the differences and why "the gray home" isn't always the right answer.

I suppose what I really don't get however, particularly in regards to this post, is why you tell everyone who you are, where you live, details of your preparedness situation, what your plans are, and sometimes even when you'll be away from home - but also that you want to go unnoticed as the gray man living in the gray house. Not trying to argue or insult, just seems to me you give out way too much information publicly if that's your plan. You've left an online trail of bread loaves leading right to your door :lol: Preppers usually have an abundance of nice firearms and cash/PMs stashed away at least, and from your latest "Who will be your Doctor" post it's not hard to guess you probably have a nice assortment of prescription drugs too, right? Aren't you at least concerned someone might use this information to plan a burglary (or worse) of your home now?
Matte

Postby Cadit » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Very good observation there Matte, I'm not trying to be the Gray house or Gray Man, but want to let people know that how you keep you home and often times make you a target all the while not knowing, I know that I have a very large foot print, but I myself am not trying to hid from anyone. You make some very good points and I'm glad you posted, because those viewing this now has the understanding that many don't.

But; If anyone thinks they are a complete Gray Man or have the ultimate Gray House, then they are fooling themselves, because; as you problelly know, big brother knows where you are, what you're doing, what you're buying and how much. That's why big brother has merchants reporting anyone who buys large amounts of supplies and paying in cash. But let's be honest, most people are so wrapped up in their own life, that they don't see what right across the street unless it's pointed out to them, and this is what be a Gray Man or have a Gray House is all about, not taking people and saying; hey look at what I have. Because you are right, when people are hungry, they are dangerous.

And someone like yourself, who has noted that I may be a good target, they must too realize that I may know that too, and have made the necessary adjustments to compensate for that. Not to say that preppers are dumb, but many are their own worsted enemy. Like a friend of mine, he has this bunker, and unless you knew or had an idea of its location, you would walk by its entrance a million time and never find it. Now I know this and know that he has never offered to let me and mine stay with him and his, I would be a fool to think I could go there and try to stay, for he is not they type to open his doors to anyone.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby kappydell » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:45 am

I did a presentation on going gray for my prepper group and to sum things up, you blend in.

You keep your eyes open, ears open, and mouth shut. You don't advertise your stuff - or leave it where others can see it. You do not talk politics or religion with neighbors (giving them a grudge or a reason to remember you out of many other strangers, or interesting them in a sudden visit). You talk about local sports and the weather instead - innocuous subjects. You don't wear camo, you wear work clothes (if that is what everyone else wears around you). You drive a similar car to everyone elses (that was hard for many of the men to accept, they liked their personal vehicles). You don't 'open carry' . Concealed is OK, but it is strictly don't ask, don't tell. (Why give a predator pre-knowledge of your ability to defend?)

You watch what you tell people - disinformation can be a friend, but keep it to a minimum or you will get mixed up. Better just give the impression of being the quiet type.
Cultivate the neighborhood snoopy-pants. They will be able to tell you about the neighbors, their friends, strangers, wildlife in the 'hood, etc. If you can do it, a little dis-information can be put into play - just tell them it is a secret, and it will invariably get broadcast. So make sure it is what you want people to think, ie, you too think the way that everyone else does. So utilize that nosy snoop for intelligence. Be discreet, but make friends (sort of) with them. If you squirm at disinformation, just be a great listener. Spy agencies collect data that way, so can you.

Start networking now with your neighbors - discreetly, of course, talking sports and the like, so you can get a feel for how they might handle a critical situation. Several of my neighbors are preppers, though nobody has openly discussed it. They are self reliant, and in a crunch we will team up; we all know that instinctively, and have an unspoken agreement on it born from borrowing each others power tools, and swapping veggies and canning recipes over the back fence. We have given out firewood, they have helped us split wood when we get a new load in. The one legged Viet Vet, the construction worker, the do-it-yourselfer who is a hunter, and the motorcycle mechanic down the block we all know, and have learned enough about to network with them. The ultra liberal elderly lady across the street - no, we will help her get to her family, but not depend on her one whit. Ditto the harried family man next door who is always too tired from work, or when he is laid off too tired from smoking weed, to help his wife with the upkeep of their home. We will help him and his children sign up for help from FEMA (he does not know where to go, while we have researched it for him). But depend on him? Noooooo. Let him in out home? Noooooo. Give him anything? Hell, Nooooooo.

Depending on circumstances you might need to be gray around your whole family, especially when your children are too young to know about opsec. Show and Tell at school does not need to know about Daddy's (or Mommy's) new gun and how they carry it everywhere (it tends to freak out the teachers anyway); nor about the full store room. If you decorate in 'colonial' or 'historical' style, it is easier to have such things as hand tools and non-electric appliances on hand. Just tell people you are 'old school' or if you want, that you are 'trying to lessen my carbon footprint' (LOL). Treat such things matter of factly, without fanfare (if you cant keep it secret) and hopefully the little shavers will just assume it is nothing unusual or interesting enough to bring up to anyone else, until they are old enough to understand not talking about some things to their peers. Camping is a good socially acceptable way to practice your self reliance skills. If you have a nosy neighbor who sees you practicing pitching a tent or some such in the back yard, it is 'advertised' as family togetherness, not something out of the ordinary. Ditto visiting historical sites and tours to see how things were done in the eras before electricity. History buffs tend to be thought of as faceless geeks, while preppers are looked upon as lunatics with cool stuff you want to take.

Clothing, even in a crisis should NOT be military or hunting camo, it stands out. Work clothes, preferably broken in, in gray, beige or denim; a bike helmet, NOT a military style one (sorry folks, I like that stuff too). Work boots, not military ones. A common backpack in a neutral color, not a LL Bean (pricey, makes you a target) or a military (makes you a militia suspect) one. You don't want to stand out at all.

So, to sum up about going gray: look, act, talk, dress the same as the neighbors; keep display items that are flashy or more expensive strictly out of sight. Keep your yard up more or less the same way; drive a similar car. No obvious stuff that most neighbors don't already have. No gorgeous slate shingles if everybody else has asphalt ones. No boat worthy of a drug smuggler when everyone else has a bass boat. Leave the HumVee in the garage and drive the used pickup truck around town. The life of the party, the neighborhood block party guy, is NOT who you want to be in a crises. You don't even want your name being associated with charity events - donate anonymously. You want to be nobody special. You want to blend is so well that when your name is mentioned, people's first reaction is "Who? Never noticed them. " Its safer that way. That is what living gray is to me.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 pm

kappydell wrote:I did a presentation on going gray for my prepper group and to sum things up, you blend in.

You keep your eyes open, ears open, and mouth shut. You don't advertise your stuff - or leave it where others can see it. You do not talk politics or religion with neighbors (giving them a grudge or a reason to remember you out of many other strangers, or interesting them in a sudden visit). You talk about local sports and the weather instead - innocuous subjects. You don't wear camo, you wear work clothes (if that is what everyone else wears around you). You drive a similar car to everyone elses (that was hard for many of the men to accept, they liked their personal vehicles). You don't 'open carry' . Concealed is OK, but it is strictly don't ask, don't tell. (Why give a predator pre-knowledge of your ability to defend?)

You watch what you tell people - disinformation can be a friend, but keep it to a minimum or you will get mixed up. Better just give the impression of being the quiet type.
Cultivate the neighborhood snoopy-pants. They will be able to tell you about the neighbors, their friends, strangers, wildlife in the 'hood, etc. If you can do it, a little dis-information can be put into play - just tell them it is a secret, and it will invariably get broadcast. So make sure it is what you want people to think, ie, you too think the way that everyone else does. So utilize that nosy snoop for intelligence. Be discreet, but make friends (sort of) with them. If you squirm at disinformation, just be a great listener. Spy agencies collect data that way, so can you.

Start networking now with your neighbors - discreetly, of course, talking sports and the like, so you can get a feel for how they might handle a critical situation. Several of my neighbors are preppers, though nobody has openly discussed it. They are self reliant, and in a crunch we will team up; we all know that instinctively, and have an unspoken agreement on it born from borrowing each others power tools, and swapping veggies and canning recipes over the back fence. We have given out firewood, they have helped us split wood when we get a new load in. The one legged Viet Vet, the construction worker, the do-it-yourselfer who is a hunter, and the motorcycle mechanic down the block we all know, and have learned enough about to network with them. The ultra liberal elderly lady across the street - no, we will help her get to her family, but not depend on her one whit. Ditto the harried family man next door who is always too tired from work, or when he is laid off too tired from smoking weed, to help his wife with the upkeep of their home. We will help him and his children sign up for help from FEMA (he does not know where to go, while we have researched it for him). But depend on him? Noooooo. Let him in out home? Noooooo. Give him anything? Hell, Nooooooo.

Depending on circumstances you might need to be gray around your whole family, especially when your children are too young to know about opsec. Show and Tell at school does not need to know about Daddy's (or Mommy's) new gun and how they carry it everywhere (it tends to freak out the teachers anyway); nor about the full store room. If you decorate in 'colonial' or 'historical' style, it is easier to have such things as hand tools and non-electric appliances on hand. Just tell people you are 'old school' or if you want, that you are 'trying to lessen my carbon footprint' (LOL). Treat such things matter of factly, without fanfare (if you cant keep it secret) and hopefully the little shavers will just assume it is nothing unusual or interesting enough to bring up to anyone else, until they are old enough to understand not talking about some things to their peers. Camping is a good socially acceptable way to practice your self reliance skills. If you have a nosy neighbor who sees you practicing pitching a tent or some such in the back yard, it is 'advertised' as family togetherness, not something out of the ordinary. Ditto visiting historical sites and tours to see how things were done in the eras before electricity. History buffs tend to be thought of as faceless geeks, while preppers are looked upon as lunatics with cool stuff you want to take.

Clothing, even in a crisis should NOT be military or hunting camo, it stands out. Work clothes, preferably broken in, in gray, beige or denim; a bike helmet, NOT a military style one (sorry folks, I like that stuff too). Work boots, not military ones. A common backpack in a neutral color, not a LL Bean (pricey, makes you a target) or a military (makes you a militia suspect) one. You don't want to stand out at all.

So, to sum up about going gray: look, act, talk, dress the same as the neighbors; keep display items that are flashy or more expensive strictly out of sight. Keep your yard up more or less the same way; drive a similar car. No obvious stuff that most neighbors don't already have. No gorgeous slate shingles if everybody else has asphalt ones. No boat worthy of a drug smuggler when everyone else has a bass boat. Leave the HumVee in the garage and drive the used pickup truck around town. The life of the party, the neighborhood block party guy, is NOT who you want to be in a crises. You don't even want your name being associated with charity events - donate anonymously. You want to be nobody special. You want to blend is so well that when your name is mentioned, people's first reaction is "Who? Never noticed them. " Its safer that way. That is what living gray is to me.

Thank You for posting Great Advice! Some people make everything harder than it has to be. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby kappydell » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Thank you Swampie, I've noticed the same thing.

I learned grayness growing up Republican during the Vietnam War Protest era in a very liberal town. I remember the more extreme self-proclaimed 'liberals' trying to ruin peoples lives because they did not agree with their politics - getting people fired from their jobs, thrown out from their apartments, wrecking their cars (the poor man's revenge) and the like. Nowdays they are a little more in your face, but seem to remain just as treacherous. I expect being gray to become a more critical part of opsec in the coming days.
kappydell

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 am

Thank all of you for posting, some really great advice for those not in the know. And its all about blending in and not drawing attention to yourself. And that has come across very effectively. And Kappydell; if you have that presentation on file, I would like a copy to present it to my group if you don't mind sharing. It sounds like a good presentation. Of course I'll give you credit for its creation.

Thanks again for all the input, and ideas presented. 8)
Cadit
Cadit

Postby kappydell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:24 am

Cadit wrote:Thank all of you for posting, some really great advice for those not in the know. And its all about blending in and not drawing attention to yourself. And that has come across very effectively. And Kappydell; if you have that presentation on file, I would like a copy to present it to my group if you don't mind sharing. It sounds like a good presentation. Of course I'll give you credit for its creation.

Thanks again for all the input, and ideas presented. 8)

I'll see if its one I kept
kappydell

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.