• Advertisement

weather and earthquake proof buildings

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: weather and earthquake proof buildings

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:05 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Image

Your picture didn't come up. I'm sure it was a good one. Driven, you're as shrewd as Aunt Bee at finding just the right image. Try again.
Reb

Correction. It just popped up. :rofl:
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby gregryan825 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Sobering up, the issue still remains. Where are we going to live?
gregryan825

Postby IceFire » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Don't know that anything is completely earthquake-proof. As to location, ANYPLACE can experience earthquakes, not just subduction zones, areas near volcanos, or places where wastewater from oil/gas drilling/fracking has been injected (those are just the most LIKELY places to experience earthquakes), so the idea of building where they WILL NOT happen is faulty. You can build someplace where earthquakes are less likely, but there will still be that risk.

As to weather-proof housing, dome-shaped buildings seem to withstand hurricane-force winds, etc. the best, and the rounded surfaces allow the winds to flow around rather than forming a barrier like straight walls will...but all bets are off when it comes to tornadoes.

Then, of course, there are floods (NOT building in a floodplain will seriously reduce your flooding risk, but even mountains can flood), wildfires (NOT just forested areas, but grasslands and even "deserts" can experience wildfires) and other natural hazards...I did a series of papers in college regarding natural hazards...NO place is completely free of natural hazards, but you can mitigate the risk to some extent.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:58 pm

gregryan825 wrote:Sobering up, the issue still remains. Where are we going to live?

WE as in seven billion humans ain't got nothing to do with me! I will get along in MY steel bunker built for such events! Not going to flood, storms is not an issue, earthquakes - well it was built for that and the fill was designed to let it move around some. A cheaper route might be a trailer and a storm shelter unless your expecting both to happen at the exact same time? It that happens, I have enough good whisky to alleviate any cares! End Of The World Party At my Place - Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:42 am

OK on a serious note you need to travel to Taiwan and look how they build stuff. It's all concrete with lots of steel. Earthquakes and typhoons are are no match for the construction. They built a beautiful subway system a yr ahead of schedule and under budget. After an 8.1 quake a few ceiling tiles came down. In an F4 hurricane 2 people died. Compare that to New Orleans with an F2. My father in law lives in one of the family houses over 400 yrs old. Europe is the same in the old style construction.

Here in America we built temporary structures. It breaks down to cost. Also to the fact no one gets along with family members. In most foreign countries extended families live together and share costs. Here you have college grads living in moms basement but not contributing money but that is a different topic. Trailer houses were designed to keep poor people poor. The cost about the same as a house, higher taxes, higher utilities and they depreciate. A lot of Section 8 housing was built out of concrete yet man figured out a way to destroy it.

It's a free country. If you want to build a house impervious to the weather do so.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:36 pm

I will agree with you about the old countries, but few Americans stay put long enough to care about long term outcomes. Nor could most Americans afford quality construction. Trailers have a place in my overall plan and I own two for the camps. They were cheap as I paid cash and they can be replaced. I would not want one as my primary residence, but they do serve a purpose. As far a quality, the two I own are as good or better than most new stick built construction. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby Mollypup » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:26 pm

There is no such animal as social equality. Human beings will likely need another couple of thousand years of evolution to manage such a concept. In truth, though, never going to happen. It's not in our genes. Heck, we'd never survived as long as we have if we'd had it.

As far as this special housing.............. eh, just wrap everyone in bubble wrap.

Climate changes, earth tilt changes, poles shift. Natural cyclic events. Living organisms either adapt or die out. So far it's not looking so hot for human beings. (we're not as great at adaptation as we like to believe) We haven't been in tune with nature for a very long time.

Poles are melting at an alarming rate & glaciers are breaking up. Coastal water is going to rise significantly. (among many other things) It's already begun. So? How many people do you see moving away from coastal areas?

heck, forget climate change. How many human beings live at the foot or on volcanoes they know will erupt again? How many live on volatile fault lines knowing full well the danger?

Sometimes I think we don't possess this common sense en mass because it's the only natural culling process for humans since we've no predator. Sort of like built in population control.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 am

Mollypup wrote:There is no such animal as social equality. Human beings will likely need another couple of thousand years of evolution to manage such a concept. In truth, though, never going to happen. It's not in our genes. Heck, we'd never survived as long as we have if we'd had it.

As far as this special housing.............. eh, just wrap everyone in bubble wrap.

M
Poles are melting at an alarming rate & glaciers are breaking up. Coastal water is going to rise significantly. (among many other things) It's already begun. So? How many people do you see moving away from coastal areas?

heck, forget climate change. How many human beings live at the foot or on volcanoes they know will erupt again? How many live on volatile fault lines knowing full well the danger?

Sometimes I think we don't possess this common sense en mass because it's the only natural culling process for humans since we've no predator. Sort of like built in population control.

Mollypup, I love products with multiple uses. Bubble wrap is a great idea. It would float someone in a tsunami and protect them bouncing around in an earthquake.

As for climate change, what a crock. Virginia's Lt guv, an ultra liberal, recently stated that the Chesapeake Bay had risen by two feet. I have lived on and sailed the Chesapeake for most of my 71 years. I have a still functioning brain and better than 20/20 vision. There has been no rising of the sea levels around here. You live in Ohio, right? Which of Ohio's borders abut the ocean? Only believe what you can see for yourself, not what a self-serving politician tells you. I know you are smarter than that.

You can quote scientists, but they are easily bought. Professors are not paid well. They depend on government grants. I know, my own brother is a professor emeritus at the University of Washington. Did I mention that he is a liberal Obamacrat? He was given a gov't grant for he and his wife to spend two weeks in Ireland studying climate change. He brags about spending the whole time traveling from pub to pub studying Guiness Stout and Irish whiskies, all on the tax payer's dime. He came to the conclusion that there is global warming. That insured that he will get more grants in the future.

Obama purged military officers who refused to support his climate change policies. He paid special attention to the US Navy. Hopefully, Trump will correct this.

Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby rickdun » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:55 am

Climate change happens all the time, it's history. We've had 5 ice ages going back a couple of million years ago, I guess man made them melt. See attached:

https://www.cdm.org/mammothdiscovery/wheniceages.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 pm

rickdun wrote:Climate change happens all the time, it's history. We've had 5 ice ages going back a couple of million years ago, I guess man made them melt. See attached:

https://www.cdm.org/mammothdiscovery/wheniceages.html

Mammoth pharts caused it :eek:
Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby gregryan825 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:42 am

There are some pharts to be considered. That is for certain. This is the biggest response I've got in a long time and don't know whether or not to be proud or to apologise for getting too radical.
gregryan825

Postby sageprice » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:22 am

They exist in one basic form, the arch. make it long and its a quonset hut it is resistant to hurricanes and earthquakes. Spin it on its center it is a dome. cover with concrete and it can withstand tornadoes. The can be buried or turned into tunnels. They can even have storm shelter basements. :p
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm

The safest, earthquake proof home in an underground home made of concrete or concrete blocks. I've been in many and intend on building one. They are the most energy efficient home you can live in bar none. They are also the most well lighted home you can live in. I was in one in PA about 15 years or so ago while it was 10 degree's out for over a week. The first thing I had to do was take off my coat because it was so warm. He lit a fire about 5 days earlier.

The were several that I was in during mid summers around 100 degrees. there was no air conditioning and it was very cool inside.
During the winter, the underground homes work on direct sunlight to heat the home which must face south. In the summer months, they work on indirect sunlight as a light source. The sun does not penetrate the home directly so it stays as cool as the ground around it.

The biggest part of this all is to keep the insulation on the outside only. These homes are very bright, dry and earthquake proof.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to General Preparedness Discussion