• Advertisement

Curved verses Straight triggers for the AR Platform

Topics about guns

Curved verses Straight triggers for the AR Platform

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54 am

I just found out, via some fellows at work, that there is a straight type drop in trigger assembly available for the AR platform.

I have been reading some of the comments and experiences with this kind of trigger verses the curved triggers and decides that with such a good cross section of experienced shooters and reloaders on tis board that I would pose the question here...as was the case with the inquiring and finally the purchase of my Rock Chucker extra heavy duty reloading press.

By the way ..I have zero regrets with the purchase of the Rock Chucker press and it has turned out to be as advertised. The moniker fits perfectly for this press.

Now...If any of you have or have had experiences with these new fangled straight triggers....I would be interested in your experiences and preferences..why and so forth.

While I am in no hurry to make this purchase...I would like to know what are the experiences and thoughts on this product.

I currently have the standard issue trigger on my platform.

However..I have used both rifles and pistols with good triggers and I can tell you ...such can ceratainly spoil you and it is noticeable when one returns back to a standard military grade trigger.

I should tell the members that the most sensitive trigger I have ever used was on a 30.06 caliber hunting rifle ...a sporterized WW2 Mauser modified with double set triggers. When you click the set trigger...it sets up the firing trigger somewhere incredibly light. If you are not very very careful...you will have a premature discharge because you are not prepared for how incredibly light the set trigger pull really is. Now that is a bit too light for me..but it illustrates what can be done with a trigger. Even my double set 50 caliber black powder trigger is not that sensitive.

Well...nonetheless ...any members with experience and opinions in the new fangled flat triggers???

My thanks in advance...

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Re: Curved verses Straight triggers for the AR Platform

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 am

Comes down to personal preference really...

I know there's some guys that state "It's crisper" for them...that's just a perception.

Trigger crispness is all part of the internals completely dependent on manufacture quality, straight or curved......There's always the $.50 trigger job but that's beside the point and also no different flat or curved.

There is for sure a different feel to the trigger so like I stated, it's really just personal preference.

The only downfall that I've ever noticed on a flat is if your running a B.A.D......(Battery Assist Device)....It puts your finger a little more forward on a trigger reset and that can accidently hit the B.A.D. switch or just be uncomfortable.

I like the B.A.D....It's actually pretty intuitive and make clearing a double feed very easy and fast. Age old wisdom on that again though is train with standardized gear in case the next one you pick up doesn't have it...which is almost guaranteed. ;)

I wouldn't go spending $100+ on a flat to check it out, but try one if you can....You just might love it.

~D~

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Fyrediver » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:10 pm

I put in a CMC straight trigger in my AR; I like it and it gave me just a smidgen increase in length of pull. The assembly is smoother and crisper than the mil-spec one but D is right, it's not the trigger, that's the internals working.

I simply like the straighter feel of the trigger. Again, it increased my LOP just a tiny bit, but it feels better. There may be some difference in mechanical leverage over a curved trigger but, if so, it's quite minimal.

Installation of a drop in unit is VERY easy. Select what poundage you want and get that one.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Fyrediver
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Straight triggers were the rage during the 1890s when H&H and Drilling Rifles became popular for African hunts. Straight triggers were easier and faster to make but straight or curved, when you touched off a 600 Nitro Express its going to hurt you. Then straight triggers were installed on smaller bore high end Mauser and Martini hunting rifles of the bolt action design. It was found that a rifle with a curved trigger shot tighter groups because more surface area of the trigger finger came in contact with the curved trigger. This caused improved hand to brain nerve signal transmission so since then most military rack grade and civilian hunting rifles have been made with curved triggers. The latest drop in equipment may be a sales gimmick, hurry up and get yours before they are gone and you are left standing in the dust, I don't know. I have been plinking with the AR for a half century and am too old to change triggers and learn something new. Old time muscle memory pretty much controls what I do and how I shoot, I got used to curved triggers and like them so will keep them on my rifles.
Fullmoon

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Fullmoon wrote:Straight triggers were the rage during the 1890s when H&H and Drilling Rifles became popular for African hunts. Straight triggers were easier and faster to make but straight or curved, when you touched off a 600 Nitro Express its going to hurt you. Then straight triggers were installed on smaller bore high end Mauser and Martini hunting rifles of the bolt action design. It was found that a rifle with a curved trigger shot tighter groups because more surface area of the trigger finger came in contact with the curved trigger. This caused improved hand to brain nerve signal transmission so since then most military rack grade and civilian hunting rifles have been made with curved triggers. The latest drop in equipment may be a sales gimmick, hurry up and get yours before they are gone and you are left standing in the dust, I don't know. I have been plinking with the AR for a half century and am too old to change triggers and learn something new. Old time muscle memory pretty much controls what I do and how I shoot, I got used to curved triggers and like them so will keep them on my rifles.

Interesting...I didn't know that history FullMoon...Thanks for that. :thumbup:

Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Dirk Williams » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Could care less what's fashionable or not. If it works for you, is practically priced, and enhances your target group at versos distances, then you should consider one.

I've got CMC, straights, and am very pleased with their added performance. I shot faster, at all distances. Their is a trade off. I do not like the install set up. The pins walk when shooting. I changed out the pins to a style that screws into themselves, a little blue lock tight ang I'm happy with the fixed pin problem. The upgraded pins are an added expense, like 20.00. Something to consider.

I've also got the grisselles straight triggers, again faster, smoother FOR ME. I've got short fingers. These triggers are now 230/250.00 not cheap. I've had mine for years now.

All my m4s, and now all my sniper rifles have straight triggers. I use to spend a fair amount of time " stoning" my stock triggers relieving the trigger pull pressure,,and just to clean up any blemishes.

Remember if you,stone the trigger to much your guns will dump 30 rounds in a little over a second. It's illegal as an auto, and for me, I'm not into,auto or machine guns. I carried some sort of,full,auto rifle from day one of my career. Much prefer a solid semi with a great trigger in it. ,

Like driven said their is a physiological mental "step up" when you go to,these triggers." For the average shooter, which is me anymore, I don't know that I'd spend the money,,if it ment my kids went without shoes or,a,family nessity.

I am in the middle of a slow build,right now, an M4 pistol.

VLTOR upper.
Noveske lower.
CMC straight trigger,
A three hole full auto,BCG, " the third hole sets the dwell time to hang up a bit longer allowing a better gas dump, for recoil.
VLTOR shorty spring and heavy buffer. It's got,a number, it's VLTORs heaviest spring and duffer.
Colt spring kits.
Crane ring upgrade.
H&K hooded sights for aft.
T1 red dot.
Also using the VLTOR for end and gas block, pinned.
Gem tech muzzle break, to except a genre H suppressor.
Magpul furniture.

I've got,a,magpul stock, but this is a pistol,,which would make it a 10 inch and illegal without a tax stamp. Not into illegal weapons, so I'm thinking this thru.

I'm actually looking for,a,buffer rude that houses a slide in stock very simlar to the H&K MP4/5.

I've found a couple they just look flimsy. Looking for,a,better,built one. And I don't mind spending the money if it's what I want.

I have gas buster I took off of one of my m4s. I'll apply the gas buster and leave it in the gas reducer selection position. I,discovered that by using the GB, the heavy bolt with the extra hole for,dwell reduction, and the VLTOR heavy spring and heavy buffer,,with a 3 pound trigger, the rifle displays almost zero recoil.

The VLTOR foremd will extend past the muzzle so when I spin the can onto the Quick disconnect it gives the rifle/ pistol and unusual look. Like a foremd with a can sticking out of it.

O yea using a Noveske Afgan heavy 10/12 inch barrel. (Censored word. I'm a Potty mouth) barrels, and I'm still kicking around making this rifle a piston gun. I'm not,big on them, but still,considering them. ,

I do own an H&K 416 piston m4. I'm not real happy with this rifle, just feels funky to me. This HK is the go to,rifle of all the tier 1 teams military wide. Mine is the civilian version.

Much prefer my others.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:32 am

NICE DIRK!!!

That sounds like one hell of a setup...Would love to run that config thru a few thousand.

Have fun with that one... :thumbup:

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Return to Guns