• Advertisement

Cooking in a Grid Down Event

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Cooking in a Grid Down Event

Postby Cadit » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Greetings All: I read an article not long ago that addressed the issues with cooking in a grid down event, with hungry people all around. Two things were brought out; one the smoke and the other smell. Smoke I know you can smell miles away, but because of working in a chemical plant, I have no sense of smell.

It was stated that these two things will draw people and give away your position. So; I'm asking how do you plan to address these two seemly dangerous event that can turn deadly.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Cooking in a Grid Down Event

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Not worried. I have a propane stove in the kitchen and about 500 gals of propane. I can cook for years and years. No food smell, no vents to the outside. I could always burn old tires in the wood heat stove to mask any food odor, unless you like the aroma of burning rubber.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:47 pm

will be setting up a portable kitchen in the basement whether the natural gas and electric are still working and the regular kitchen would be a go - a food crisis is a food crisis - won't be showing any signs of food or cooking ....

have a overhead stove hood ready with a 110V/12V powered fan and feeding into either my chimney or soil pipe - both will feed out 25+ feet above the ground - no way to detect any cooking smells locally and trace it back ....

ready to cook with natural gas/propane/electric/white gas - won't be using any wood until well into a serious SHTF - signs of heat during the winter will be almost as bad as cooking ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks for the post, some good Ideas, masking the smell and diverting them. I think the masking may be more versatile. Could be used anywhere, and I think old tires and such will be in good supply. So; even moving around, you can still use them. What other items could someone use to mask the smell of a cook fire and food?

This has gotten me to wondering now. Using tire rubber ever time can also alert someone who notices that the smell happens a couple times a day and moves around? But still a very good idea that I hadn't thought of. But all in all; very good post from the both of you.

My uncle had a still in his basement and did pretty much as you said Illini Warrior, He ran his piping out to a pine tree, but the fumes killed it. Only dead Pine out there.LOL
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Gunns » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 am

Like Reb we converted to LP. Stove vents to the attic.

Plus I have my LP BBQ and plenty of tanks. Plus I have my solar oven. Plus I have my white gas stove. Plus I have my LP camping stove. Plus I have my single burner LP stove. Plus I have my Rocket Stove.

Dang I got lots a stoves.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:25 am

Cadit wrote:Thanks for the post, some good Ideas, masking the smell and diverting them. I think the masking may be more versatile. Could be used anywhere, and I think old tires and such will be in good supply. So; even moving around, you can still use them. What other items could someone use to mask the smell of a cook fire and food?

This has gotten me to wondering now. Using tire rubber ever time can also alert someone who notices that the smell happens a couple times a day and moves around? But still a very good idea that I hadn't thought of. But all in all; very good post from the both of you.

My uncle had a still in his basement and did pretty much as you said Illini Warrior, He ran his piping out to a pine tree, but the fumes killed it. Only dead Pine out there.LOL

masking smells is one thing - sending up a black smug pot signal with tire tread material is another - don't think you'll be wanting that attention no matter what the situation would be ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am

Cadit wrote:Thanks for the post, some good Ideas, masking the smell and diverting them. I think the masking may be more versatile. Could be used anywhere, and I think old tires and such will be in good supply. So; even moving around, you can still use them. What other items could someone use to mask the smell of a cook fire and food?

At least the pine died happy :D
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby NJMike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:24 pm

Lots of options for low to no smoke for basic cooking- alcohol stoves, butane hiker stoves or single range burners, propane camp stoves, solid fuel stoves (hexamine or trioxane), and solar for example.

Otherwise, I'm not expecting to cook early into a situation. There's plenty of canned and dried items that can be eaten room temperature. Boiling water, yes. But that's not going to create an odor.

Flavorful aromatic dishes that are simmered half a day will wait until there's security. I won't be frying bacon until then too.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 am

propane to boil up my covered pots of food for 10 min or so, then into a thermal wrap to finish cooking. saves fuel plus masks odors, no smoke, it works well with dehydrated and common storage foods. no burning the food, and doesn't require tending in case you have other more critical stuff to attend to.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:15 am

Just bought a folding Sterno Stove at a second hand store and the wife and I are starting to put together dehydrated soup and sealing it in jars ..
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I learned how to make a meal in my Thermal cooker. 15 minuets at night eat hot meal the next day.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks for all the comments; they were great. But how long do you think Propane gas will be around in a grid down event? and the sterno cans, how easy will it be to get a fresh supply of those? A few people may have a stock pile of these, but most people want or don't. After a year or maybe two, will we still be able to find stuff like this? And if you have to leave your home or home stead, will you make room in your pack for a sterno can or two? Now; if everybody was able to stay put in their locations, that would be great, but you know as well as I do, that these big cities will start empting out their people, and it will be like ants from an ant hill, searching for food and water along with anything else they see and will try to take. I feel for those of us who are tied to a house in a neighborhood, unless I've created a group to fend off invaders untill we are forced to leave.

And for those who haven't thought of the Propane or Sterno, they will be looking to find ways to cook with out giving away their position. Now; their having to making booby traps out of Bic lighters. Those little lighter are equal to 3 sticks of dynamite. Makes a big noise.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby kappydell » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 pm

true, after propane is gone a Dakota fire hole or a rocket stove should work to heat up the thermal cooker pot just fine. Ive noticed that cooking odor gets stronger as the food gets closer to being 'done' so the wrap should help mimize that part. As far as smoke, like I said, the Dakota fire hole; or build a very small fire in a rocket stove under an overhanging tree (to scatter the smoke).
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell

Postby IceFire » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Initially, there is the propane grill OR the double-burner propane stove (with a LOT of propane tanks), and the dual-fuel camp stove; we also have several of the esbit-type cookers with a LOT of fuel tablets; as well as my backpacking alcohol stove, and the fire pit and folding backpacking stove that burns wood etc. Also, daughter and son-in-law (who live on the same property) just got a woodburning stove (we also plan to get one for our place) and we have 19 acres worth of mesquite for fuel (some is already cut and dried.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 am

Cadit wrote:Thanks for all the comments; they were great. But how long do you think Propane gas will be around in a grid down event? and the sterno cans, how easy will it be to get a fresh supply of those? A few people may have a stock pile of these, but most people want or don't. After a year or maybe two, will we still be able to find stuff like this? And if you have to leave your home or home stead, will you make room in your pack for a sterno can or two? Now; if everybody was able to stay put in their locations, that would be great, but you know as well as I do, that these big cities will start empting out their people, and it will be like ants from an ant hill, searching for food and water along with anything else they see and will try to take. I feel for those of us who are tied to a house in a neighborhood, unless I've created a group to fend off invaders untill we are forced to leave.

And for those who haven't thought of the Propane or Sterno, they will be looking to find ways to cook with out giving away their position. Now; their having to making booby traps out of Bic lighters. Those little lighter are equal to 3 sticks of dynamite. Makes a big noise.

in regard to propane - the portable sized stuff will disappear FAssst ... the retail stores will sell out of the 1lb bottles like nothing flat - two very wise customers and it's gone ... that's why an investment in a hose/adapter for BBQ propane tanks is a smart move ....

once the sheeple realize the scope of the SHTF - the cages of exchange tanks at the retail stores will be empty - BBQ grill owners will be looking for grid down alternatives ... I have a sizable propane stockpile but still have it on my "last minute" list - keep a half dozen tanks around for the probability .... pays to have several of the tank re-fill locations on your plan's plotted maps - many are landscaping/garden center type location - very low priority looter & hoard shopper locations - look around for fertilizer, seeds, tools, pool shock ect ect while the tanks are filled ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Return to A.N.T.S.