• Advertisement

OK: lets Talk About the Nasty Stuff-Hygiene

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Re: OK: lets Talk About the Nasty Stuff-Hygiene

Postby rickdun » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:34 am

IceFire, I have septic also, but it's is homemade and built in the 1940's (clay pipe). When the kids were home (6 of us total) I had to have it pumped out every 18 months or so, now with just me and the wife it's every 4 or 5 years.

If the SHTF, there will be an additional 9 people at our house, total of 11. Have to have another source of doing #2.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Human health did not improve significantly until modern medicine stepped in. Soap was known by the Babylonians 5000 yrs ago. (yes I googled soap history). Cleanliness maybe next to Godliness but It didn't help Longevity. Still, if I don't do at least a sponge bath every other day I stink. If you are a stealth prepper you don't want to make it easy for dogs or other sensitive noses to find you. I rather have a enemy pass me by than be scented a mile down wind. Pond water is fine to wash with and you can water the garden with it. If you have problems with that put on the compost pile.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Put yourself on the compost pile???
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:27 pm

This thread is rather humorous and Sage is correct. Smelling like a human is not going to effect your health. Good hygiene is not about smelling nice! Using soaps and degreasers may actually decreases some of your natural protections and immunity.

If the grid goes down, everyone is going to smell unless they live in a desert environment. I grew up in Northern Nevada with Saturday night baths and it was never a problem. In Louisiana after working outside for an hour, you smell like stale urine. Thankfully it is rarely too cold to take a quick dip in the pond (poor fish) or go with a Hookers Bath as IceFire mentioned. Slop, slop, next! Gotta keep the merchandise ready! Swamp

Hygiene is a set of practices performed for the preservation of health. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), "Hygiene refers to conditions and practices that help to maintain health and prevent the spread of diseases."
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Well we know that staph infections are rampant right now, many people don’t even know that this is caused by uncleanliness, not washing our hands before eating and after going to the bathroom. A small cut then becomes deadly.

I read an article that suggested that we take too many baths today, that we don’t allow our bodies to build the necessary bacteria that helps us stay healthy. In my studies getting my Herbal certificate, I learned that there is a degree of health issues caused by taking too many baths or not enough.
Myself, I take one as needed, if I work hard and sweat, then I take one, if I don’t I may skip a day. But when the grid is down, we may not have a choice.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Staph bacteria are all around you, and they may even be in your body right now. It’s speculated that around 15 to 40 percent of healthy people are staph bacteria carriers, which means that the bacteria can live in controllable numbers in a human host without causing any disease.

They’re normally found in the nostrils and flexures (skin folds).

How Staph Bacteria Can Cause Infections
Your skin is the most important defense against staph bacteria. But if it gets wounded and experiences a sudden influx of bacteria from an outside source, an infection will most likely occur. This often happens when you come into contact with infected objects such as pillows or towels.

It’s also possible for the bacteria to spread through direct skin contact through playing sports, or by coming into contact with sneeze or cough droplets.

In other cases, the food you eat can cause a staph infection, a condition commonly known as food poisoning. When food isn’t properly stored (especially in the case of raw foods) or when infected hands touch it prior to eating, bacteria can multiply.

For menstruating women, prolonged use of tampons may also lead to a staph infection known as toxic shock syndrome (TSS). The saturation of blood can become an ideal breeding ground for staph bacteria to multiply and release toxins, which can become a life-threatening condition.

While TSS is typically associated with tampon use, it’s possible for women to get it via menstrual sponges, diaphragms and cervical caps that have been inserted in the vagina for an extended period of time.

http://articles.mercola.com/staph-infection/causes.aspx
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby kappydell » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Hygiene is one of the most critical jobs in camp. The military has an excellent selection of improvised and more advanced camp 'conveniences' if you need ideas. Id utilize the techniques I learned from scout and family camping trips.

The camp cook keeps a pail of boiling water on the fire at all times (at least steaming hot) for folks to use for washing everything from hands to dishes (remove the water required into another container, and the user refills the boiler from the extra pail alongside). The cooks assistant helps keep those water pails full, as well as keeping the cook supplied with cooking water.

Tippy-taps (made from re-cycled bleach or milk bottles) are set up for hand washing stations wherever hands might be dirtied. Bodily bathing is via the old washcloth and container of water (steel pot) technique. Military females will LOL but the TPP bath and its male version will getcha thru until you can get solar or non solar gravity showers going.

Dishes are washed in a multiple station set up - one pail to scrape off solids to feed the dogs; one pail cold water for initial wash up, the next pail hot water with soap tp wash, another for clean water rinse, then into mesh bags for dunking in the boiling water pail for 10 seconds to kill any bacteria. Then over to a nearby clothesline to hang the bags for air drying (which will not take long from the extremely hot water). Each person can do their personal mess kit this way, and the cook & assistant do the cooking vessels. At the end, the hot soapy wash water can be used if desired to scrub latrine seats at least once a day.)

Sleeping bags are turned inside out and hung over the clotheslines daily, immediately upon waking. The UV light in sunshine kills many germs.

The bucket and plunger method is used for clothing; depending on manpower each can do their own, or an assigned person can do it (preferably several people, it is more strenuous than it looks). A scrubbing board will work if you do not want to use the plunger to clean clothes, but it, too is strenuous. It replaces beating on the rocks, and is less hard on the clothing. Agitation helps loosen soil for better results with less soap.

Under clothes (next to the skin) should be of a boil-able fabric (cotton that is pre-shrunk, for example) so it can be boiled for hygiene reasons. Remove from the boiling kettle with ye old stick, and hang on bushes or clothes line to dry in the sun. The boiling kills germs and is critical, especially if there is any sickness in camp. Towels and wash cloths and dish clothes also should be boiled & hung, not to mention handkerchiefs & head scarves/bandannas.

Water treatment is another aspect of camp hygiene; in a base camp you can have an assigned person to maintain adequate supplies of potable water. SODIS is one way of treating water, but takes time and attention to do. Boiling is the fastest way to create large amounts of safe water. (I'd save the chemical disinfection for on-the-move operations, and I use an iodine bottle (polar pure) followed with a pinch of ascorbic acid to take out the iodine taste. Its easy and compact to carry, and you can purify water in a canteen as you travel.) The assigned water person would also be able to help keep enough water on hand for cleaning & bathing.

Latrines are easy to make, but need to be an adequate distance from camp for health concerns. If someone can't make the latrine, commodes (aka 'thunder mugs') can be used, but will require frequent emptying and rinsing out, with a daily scalding with boiling water all over, including the seat area to avoid germ transference. Hopefully the person can do it themselves, but if infirm, a personal aid will have to help.

I think I covered the high (if you can call them that) points. Hesperian Press puts out a booklet on water & sanitation which give excellent directions for making and caring for latrines and body wastes, including directions on making fertilizer from urine. I recommend their booklet, as well as the Humanure book which describes making a sawdust latrine for safe composting of human wastes. It's gotta go somewhere!
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Excellent info Kappy - thanks
My 2 cents was that latrine issues are the hygiene priority. That and washing hands.
Someone mentioned making soap. I'm sure that's an eventual need in a LT situation but stockpiling bar soap in a tote is very affordable and stores easily. We have purchased soap and saved hotel soaps (for the last 6 years).
One last thing is taking care of any scrapes, cuts or wounds. Have cleansing products for serious wounds, these can be as simple as alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or something like hibiclins found on Amazon, along with bandages. This will go a long way in decreasing infection.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Previous

Return to A.N.T.S.