• Advertisement

Type of lime for an outhouse

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Type of lime for an outhouse

Postby SuburbPrepper » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 am

This is just a question for anyone who has an outhouse or uses lime on raw sewage. What kind of lime do you use? I'm getting some garden lime for gardening and was wondering what kind of lime is used to treat sewage; e.g. I've read stuff that says to throw some wood ash or lime onto excreta because it will help to inactivate pathogens, which is the same reason they used to use it on corpses in burial pits. I thought it would be good to have on hand for an SHFT situation. But, the more I look at it, the more confusing it is. There's dolomite lime, hydrated lime, quicklime, garden lime, and that's just a partial list. Any info. is appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone.
SuburbPrepper

Re: Type of lime for an outhouse

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Possibly the type of lime they use as a base in horse stalls?
Stahlrosen

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Dolomite lime is not strong enough to work in the outhouse. The best, cheapest lime to use is construction lime used in mixing plaster and brick mortar, known as Flint Coat or Type F lime. Don't know for sure but I think quick lime was placed on the hazardous materials list by the EPA people a number of years ago. Haven't seen any for sale in many moons.
Fullmoon

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

HYDRATED lime available at all garden and farm supply stores. Not to be confused with agricultural lime.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:58 pm

I use wood ash. I have considered getting lime but the ash from my wood stove is free and needs to be dumped somewhere. It works somewhat, I guess. I still have a stalagmite/stalactite (whatever) in the outhouse come spring, but nothing works in the winter because everything is froze solid.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 am

Permafrost wrote:I use wood ash. I have considered getting lime but the ash from my wood stove is free and needs to be dumped somewhere. It works somewhat, I guess. I still have a stalagmite/stalactite (whatever) in the outhouse come spring, but nothing works in the winter because everything is froze solid.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I imagine everything outside stays frozen in the winter where you are at.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to General Homesteading Topics