• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

"Mittleider Method" Anyone doing this?Is it really worth it?

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: "Mittleider Method" Anyone doing this?Is it really worth

Postby Gunns » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:03 am

daaswampman wrote:I use this system in my greenhouse garden, it does work, but I feel it is too problematic and intensive for survival gardening. Deep mulch gardening is far simpler, less work, and can be used for larger scale and gorilla applications.

I would suggest finding a copy of The Ruth Stout No-Work Garden Book as a primer and then explore permaculture in general. My Armageddon Garden is now over six years old (maybe more-time flies), costs nothing to maintain and NEVER requires fertilizer or water! A good deal of up front work hauling mulch, but the rest is time and nature.

The best part is you can prepare a garden site years in advance and it just sits there unnoticed until needed. It's how nature does it, but people still think they can improve on perfection. Swamp

I would argue in a SHTF scenario you may find yourself starving from plants diseases and insects. But thats just me. :innocent:
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Looks like a way to use a surfeit of sawdust, and I don't have that issue. Anything requiring that much amendment and tinkering is too complicated for me to depend on it. I'll stick to dirt & compost, thank you. It never ceases to amaze me though, the new techniques someone dreams up. I always wonder how much money they make off that stuff. But then again I am a life long cynic.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:25 am

kappydell wrote:Looks like a way to use a surfeit of sawdust, and I don't have that issue. Anything requiring that much amendment and tinkering is too complicated for me to depend on it. I'll stick to dirt & compost, thank you. It never ceases to amaze me though, the new techniques someone dreams up. I always wonder how much money they make off that stuff. But then again I am a life long cynic.

No tinkering needed. Simple, safe and productive.

By the way this is NOT a new way. Its been used for over 100 years in one form or another. MGM does not discount using dirt as the medium. This methods feeds millions world wide that live in desolate places where organics are not as available. Like desert and rocky mountain areas. You should look up Dr Mittleider and the work he did for the poor.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:15 pm

Gunns wrote:
daaswampman wrote:I use this system in my greenhouse garden, it does work, but I feel it is too problematic and intensive for survival gardening. Deep mulch gardening is far simpler, less work, and can be used for larger scale and gorilla applications.

I would suggest finding a copy of The Ruth Stout No-Work Garden Book as a primer and then explore permaculture in general. My Armageddon Garden is now over six years old (maybe more-time flies), costs nothing to maintain and NEVER requires fertilizer or water! A good deal of up front work hauling mulch, but the rest is time and nature.

The best part is you can prepare a garden site years in advance and it just sits there unnoticed until needed. It's how nature does it, but people still think they can improve on perfection. Swamp

I would argue in a SHTF scenario you may find yourself starving from plants diseases and insects. But thats just me. :innocent:

I would argue in a SHTF scenario that lasts more than a few months, you may find it impossible to replace supplies. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Northern Freeman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:46 pm

daaswampman wrote:
Gunns wrote:

I would argue in a SHTF scenario that lasts more than a few months, you may find it impossible to replace supplies. Swamp

I am with Swamp.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:45 pm

daaswampman wrote:
Gunns wrote:

Have enough for years and years.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:27 pm

You might want to do some research on what it takes for a plant to thrive and compare that to what it takes for a human to thrive. You might be missing more that quality and taste. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby NJMike » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:10 am

Like all things, planting methods are applied to the conditions present (dry vs. wet climate, growing zone, indoors vs. outdoors, sand vs. clay, etc.). I'd think TMM would have an application where it might be better than other methods, but in the proper scenario where other methods fall short.

Having a little background in business cases (labor and materials), I'm still curious on what a season's fertilizers consist of and what's the cost vs. the yield.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Gardening