• Advertisement

What are the 5 skill Sets you would Want in a GDS

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

What are the 5 skill Sets you would Want in a GDS

Postby Cadit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Thinking of what you would want to know as skill sets; what would be your top 5 skills you have or want to have in a grid down situation ? Me: Med/Herbal, Hunting, Trapping, Gardening and Blacksmithing. These I think today would be my primary skills, of course that could change, because I would like to be able to do Gunsmithing. But then again, I would also like to know how to make gun powder. See what I mean, as I think on it more and more, my needs grow or change. So; what would be your 5 skills?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: What are the 5 skill Sets you would Want in a GDS

Postby IceFire » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 pm

I'll play. These are the ones I either already have, or am working on: Farming/gardening (this includes raising animals as well as fruits/veggies); hunting/fishing/trapping (I lump these together, as they are related); butchering (need to be able to "process" any animals you raise or hunt); med/vet/herbal; building/construction (that way you can make/build shelter(s) (whether for people or for livestock), processing facilities, greenhouses, etc.

Other skills that I rate slightly lower, but still important, are sewing/quilting (must have clothing and coverings); baking/cooking "from scratch" (have to keep people fed); soap making (helps to keep people clean); candle making (need a means of providing light); spinning/weaving (need a means of making cloth for making clothing/coverings)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:58 am

Think I'd be happy with, or be able to hone the skills I have for a short term GDS. Here's my off the top of the head wishlist of what I would want to know for long term GDS: blacksmithing/metallurgy, practical chemistry, circuit board level electronics repair, bio-fuel generation, forensic science (e.g.-being able to identify pathogens under a microscope).
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:33 am

My preps already cover basic survival so any skills would be for sustained survival....skills already possessed are what I think would be critical for long/short term thriving.(of course they can always grow as we're always learning more from others...)...Of course these are just my opinion and what I've worked on and grown as seeing them of value.

in order...(as I only get to list 5)

1---LEADERSHIP....Empathy...Team building and support....Ability to bring other skilled folks together for skills that you don't possess to making odds of survival increase....(good leaders also know how to follow as a valuable member)Even if not leading, this will be an observable trait for an existing group wanting to add you.

2---Firearms Training....All encompassing...maintenance/armorer/accuracy/tactics for individual and squad/defensive-offensive theory...(supports #1)

3---Sales/Negotiation.....Barter abilities/ people management/ overcoming objections/ etc...(supports #1)

4---Gardening theory.....Ability to self-sustain/ community building.(supports #1 as a valuable member)

5---Medical knowledge....Basic emergency assessment...wounds/infection/bone splinting/CPR/ entry level herbal remedies along with pharmaceutical applications and dosages.(I'm deffenately no PHD. :lol: )...Sense of humor... mental health will be as important as physical.....(supports #1 as a valuable member)

Who wants me?...lol. :gunsmile:

~D~

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby sageprice » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 pm

They are the same for all emergency situations and frugal living.
1. Food (Gardening, Foraging, trapping and hunting).
2. Clothing (proper low profile dressing for the weather).
3. Shelter, being able to build or find shelter. This includes lock-picking into abandoned structures.
4. Medical, sew up wound, set a bone, Treat infection without a drugstore (herbal).
5.Basic military training (make a weapon, handle weapons, stealth, and scouting).
That said you should know how to use a weapon for hunting already, how to climb a tree for scouting and setting up a tree stand,and how to field dress a dear quickly and quietly. You should be able to shelter in place if caught in a storm or just over night. Prepping is a test of your ability to adapt.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Norman11 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Your question needs definition. If the grid down is temporary, as in a earthquake, wildfire, hurricane, etc. then there are skills that may be imported from outside your area.. If you are questioning a EMP with country wide loss of the electric system with out hope of it being restored for years, then you may need to recover all the skills that the pioneers had when they left the east coast settlement's to homestead the western USA. Do you have a Horse, mule, oxen to pull a nonexistent wagon. Can you build a wagon , or even a wheel. We all have a lot to learn
Norman11

Postby Cadit » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I think all are most likely pretty much the same, except for one. In most of my scenarios, the GDS, is just that, no short term recovery like after a Hurricane or flooding. Now; in most cases where I've seen, there is no recovery from a Volcano, or Most heavy earthquakes. We have trimmers all the time all across the US and at times it may knock power off from a few hours to a few days. But that's all. The real bad ones, no recovery, everyone was relocated, but many died before anyone could reach them.

We all know how to survive these types of inconvenience and life goes on as normal. But: as it is always said: Plan for the worst and hope for the best. That is how we plan for any SHTF event. Long term, years on end, major population reduction, Pandemics, Starvation, People killing over a can of beans. The lone Ranger types will not last long, those who group together and set or create a system of Rule of Law for their group will survive longer than those who don't.

I myself; hand pick those I want in my group or to be grouped with. Those that can offer skills that I don't have. Being a mutual benefit to one another. The only time our group would except a new member into our group, is if they possessed a skill to benefit the group as a whole and maintain a functioning membership. Because; if you numbers drop to low, you can't defend and provide for your members as good. There is strength in numbers. Create a strict but fair Rule of Law and make sure everyone knows it, and no one is exempt from it.

There can only be one leader of any organization or group , but a good leader will set-up a committee to handle the minor issues of the group, and that group members, rotates in and out of the committee. No one is exempt from serving.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Medical \ health

Food production \ acquisition

Self defense

Metalworking and building skills

Basic chemistry

Useful knowledge in any of these areas would make you a valuable asset. By useful - I mean something you can actually perform and apply. Personally I want to be the guy who can mend a cut, pull a tooth, feed them and keep them drunk! Long after the leadership has been killed and replaced and replaced again and again, I will be happily running the stills, making 180 proof miracle cures, and quietly running the show!

When things go really wrong - do the they hang the leaders or the bootleggers? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Swamp, you are so eloquent! :p

ITA that The Trusted Leader will be taken out as soon as something doesn't go well. Then there are those who want to take someone out well, just because they can. Then they'll have access to all the booze.

I have a decent skill set for short term scenarios. Longer term, I'm with IceFire, while I can repair or temporarily rig a lot of things, true construction skills I don't have but would like to. I have a co worker who is a decent herbalist so I get some great advice from her. I should get back to the range more often and practice skills on firearms other than what I own.

I'm pretty much the lone wolf. Can't find anyone with a decent skillset.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Cadit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I know what you mean Blondie; and some very good points, a good team mate now may not be if the SHTF. The few I have in my group tell me they now understand how I got the nickname Blackheart while in service. But it’s a mindset, now like then; my team is my responsibility. And as then, there are no redo's when you are in harm’s way. If you can't trust the man or woman in the fox hole beside you, then it’s all over except for the wiping of the ashes.

No one cuts any one, including myself any slack for stupid mistakes. Now Being dumb, that's just natural, most are thinned out beforehand. We have a load of fun in training and during skills enhancements. We aren't hard asses but getting in, we must know if you can cut the mustard. When a member is excepted into the group, it’s their whole family; in-laws and all. Then the work starts there. Your group is your lifeline. :o
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Permafrost » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 am

I have most of the skills I need to survive out at my place from milling lumber to harvesting food, but I must admit there are a few I would like to pick up that are on the comfort side for the apocalypse. For one reason or another these just seem to fall through the cracks, mostly money I suppose but not always.

Blacksmithing - I've done it a few times and can probably beat out a machete or some nails but I need way more practice, and a forge, mostly the forge.

Communications - I have been drooling for a long time over a radio, something nice that does short wave & air to ground & am/fm. At this point I may just spring for a antenna and do am/fm in the short term so I can get some news when I'm out.

Distilling - Nothing beats a drink at the end of a hard day of manual labor, and I have no idea what it takes to make one from scratch. A still would be nice but I have been hesitant because there is not really a natural supply of sugar in Interior Alaska. Almost all the recipes I have seen call for sugar.

Tanning - I would love to learn how to properly tan a hide. Most of the ones I have done are fit for utility purposes but I wouldn't dream of making underwear from them. And something to thin beaver hides with, have you ever felt how thick & heavy the leather is on a beaver hide that has not been thinned at a tannery.

I think that about sums up my dream list of skills I don't have. I'm in town for a day to pick up my wife & back out to the cabin, so it's no wonder that I have a hard time filling out the last of my skill sets. Trial & error only takes you so far.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Distilling - Nothing beats a drink at the end of a hard day of manual labor, and I have no idea what it takes to make one from scratch. A still would be nice but I have been hesitant because there is not really a natural supply of sugar in Interior Alaska. Almost all the recipes I have seen call for sugar.

Learn how to malt grain and make beer, no sugar needed
sageprice

Postby Gunns » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51 pm

1 Flying.
2 Laser vision.
3 XRay vision.
4 Telekinesis
5 Invisibility
Gunns