• Advertisement

Camp Perimeter Defenses

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Camp Perimeter Defenses

Postby Cadit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi guys: Haven't read anything about Perimeter defenses should one have to leave and head to the hill so to speak. I have always used an Solar powered electric fence around my camp, to keep the wildlife out or at bay. But what about the trackers and other groups that are looking for the small camp to raid and plunder? What is your suggestion as how to ward off the unwanted. I know that a centry on watch is normal and most people know that, so the first action would be to silence the centry. not a good thing.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Camp Perimeter Defenses

Postby NJMike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:09 pm

How does one's perimeter defenses distinguish between potential friend or foe? What if another group's people are out collecting firewood or foraging for wild edibles and run into a perimeter defense?
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Do you think that in a fight for survival, that there will be friends out there, or just someone waiting to get in and see what you have or don't have. It's not just your life you're putting on the line, it's also the lives of the members of your camp. Unless you've seen war, you do not know who is friend or foe, so; they are all foe. If someone wonders in to my camp, they don't leave, they become the slave of the camp until we move. If they want to go with us, they remain a slave until we are sure we can trust them, and that may never happen. Sounds hard, but until you loss someone because you didn't take that extra measure, then you're the pray and they are the Predator. Talk to a few vets and see what they say. They may open your eyes.

A friendly village may help you one day and turn in to the enemy the next. You never know. So; you trust your own people.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm

If you have the time do what we did. Planted thorny blackberries along the outside fence. We wove them is as they grew and now we have an 8 ft fence about 4 ft wide with nasty thorns. I figure anyone cutting their way through is NOT accidentally wondering in.

Any soft areas will get booby traps.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I have an assortment of tripwire activated devices. Some are audio, some are pyrotechnic, some just flash a light. Setup depends on situation, but all are small and portable. And not all are battery or electric dependent, either, some are mechanical. Add in some good dogs and motivated sentries to check on perimeter disturbances. No such thing as innocent if I have to put out perimeter alarms....anybody trips one and does not want to be detained they can always run (I ain't back-shootin'...that's murder.)
Anybody WANTS to talk or parley they can do the old fashioned walk and hail method. For those that have never seen a western it is simple. Walk up toward the camp while yelling 'Hail, the camp!" That will alert us that you are not being sneaky/suspicious and we would send someone out to talk, under watchful eyes, of course.
Old fashioned, but workable.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby Matte » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:38 am

Decided to beat the rush and headed for the hills a decade ago. If we had to bugout deeper, or back to the The City, the major pieces of our bugout perimeter security kit.

Dakota Alerts, HTs, a combo motion sensor and contact (door/window/tripwire) switch alarm, monofilament line, and eye bolts. Dogs not shown. Picked up a 6-pack of those motion sensor/contact alarms cheap pre-Y2k, they're pretty versatile but not really weather resistant. The Dakota Alerts with the stock antennas have a range of about 3/4 of a mile to a HT on flat ground through the woods, handy for monitoring a trail or the approach to your camp, or for hunting.

Slaves? lol
Matte

Postby sageprice » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Cheap fishing line and pin pull alarms. These are normally used as hotel intrusion alarms. also called personal alarms can be had for $5 sold even at Walmart. I tried pull poppers and they get wet and are unreliable.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 pm

sageprice wrote:Cheap fishing line and pin pull alarms. These are normally used as hotel intrusion alarms. also called personal alarms can be had for $5 sold even at Walmart. I tried pull poppers and they get wet and are unreliable.

Yep a spool of fishing line and a few can or bottles is a cheap set up that will work .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks Guys: good information,, most I have in those areas plus a little more Like: game cams, track trails, post more, feed the brain. Thanks again.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 pm

A team of sled dogs running loose all over your property will generally let you know if anything living comes within a mile of your place. If you throw a few german shepherds in the mix the whole team will generally start to adopt the "guarding" nature of the shepherds, and not just instantly charge in for the kill. Nothing says stay away like a bunch of 120+ pound freight haulers with their hackles up. I've seen them stand their ground against a grizzly, and watch the grizzly walk away looking scared. Generally groups of 2 or 3 seem to naturally do perimeter security, walking around a outer border of the property looking for threats. You got to love the territorial nature of sled dogs, if they think its home they will guard it to the death. Once the barking starts the whole pack comes a running, including myself.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Around my perimeter fences, there are places adjacent to the "neighbors" where the fence is doubled, with a 2-3 foot space between their fences and ours...we've started a bunch of prickly pear cacti there...just chop off pads from other prickly pears that are growing where you DON'T want them, and chuck them into the "no man's land" between the fences; those suckers will take root and grow with NO assistance, and no one in their right mind (or even people OUT of their minds, for that matter) wants to tangle with those things! For the other areas of the fenceline, there are nice, THORNY brambles...blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries, and rugosa roses. Those have the advantage of not only providing a great deterrent, due to the thorns, but they provide me with food and natural medicine, as well. (The raspberry leaves are especially good to dry and use on my cranky mare when she's in heat...they are the ingredient in "Mare Magic".) Oh, and then there are the dogs (4 of them, including a Belgian Malinois and a Pit Bull.)

That leaves only the gate (which is kept chained shut at night or when no one is home) with a LONG driveway, but with any intruders within range.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to A.N.T.S.