• Advertisement

Homestead

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Homestead

Postby homesteadme » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:29 am

What is homesteading, and why does it matter today?
homesteadme

Re: Homestead

Postby IceFire » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:41 pm

According to dictionary.com homesteading is “any dwelling with its land and buildings where a family makes its home.”

Nowadays, though, when most people use the term ‘homestead’ they are referring to a home where people are trying to be self-sufficient.

As to why it's important, when the trappings of modern society collapse, people are going to NEED to be self-sufficient...producing their own food (or enough surplus of something that they can barter/trade with someone else for what they don't/can't produce themselves); having an accessible source of clean water; having the means to heat their home, cook, etc.; being able to have sanitation; and being able to provide for their other needs.

That's why many of us have gotten OUT of the cities and towns, bought acreage, and are working to establish a homestead of our own.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Homestead

Postby whitebear54 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Originally homesteading meant settling on a piece of land and "proving" it up by making improvements on it for five years while living on it. Usually those improvements consisted of starting a self-sufficient farm or ranch. If you made it through the five years the government (via the Homestead Act) gave you a fee simple absolute deed--meaning you owned your land from the center of the Earth to the top of the sky and all mineral, timber and water rights were yours.

Now, like Icefire said, it means starting a self-sufficient homestead. Right now, it is only important if you desire to live free--well, aside from having to pay property taxes. But if and when TSHTF having a self-sufficient homestead and the skills to make a go of it will save your life and that of your family.

As for me, I do not prep out of a sense of fear about the future. I prep from a sense of duty to my family.
Visit my author website at www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
"Distrust of government is at the very core of what it means to be an American."
"Growing your own food is like printing your own money."
"If you aren't preparing to live you're preparing to die."
"While doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is only for fools and zealots."
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Return to General Homesteading Topics