• Advertisement

JULY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: JULY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:01 pm

farmer_dude48 wrote:Getting ready to can more green beans and more corn.. Next year I will plant pole beans my back won't let me pick bush beans very much longer :(

I trellis tomatoes on one side and pole beans on the opposite - makes a good package .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby sageprice » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 am

Can, dehydrate, study. Be frugal and Knowledgeable.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Not really prep I don't think. But grandson and DIL are coming to stay with us for around 6 months.
Son is supposed to get transferred back to the states from S Korea, he will not know for sure the duty
station till August but about 90% positive will be New York. He will be attached to the 10th Mountain
Division as civilian support.

I think we could say prepping or bug out or what. They were vacationing off Korea when the missiles
were shot off by the north a few weeks back, very close by. I think it unnerved both of them plus there
are no American families at the forward base where they are near Camp Casey, all the command sponsored
ones are gone. We don't know if he was strongly encouraged or if it was fear but we asked if they wanted to
come and it was yes. So this is really changing our life, for the better I think. I like DIL, we get along fine,
and we want to get to know our grandson, he is just 2, so will be good. Even if he ends up having to stay
(we hope not) it will be a good thing. It is so good to be Americans, she is a citizen and has been for a few
years, (she is Russian) and have a good safe place to come to.

He is getting ready to work on exercises from now till year end, 12 hour days, so he said it will be good
for them anyway. Now I will worry about him, but that is his job so not much he can do differently.

So maybe bug out to us for part of family, leaving an unsafe place.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby jimcosta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 am

Jim’s Rant For The Day. Chinese Yellow Dick.

I apologize for all you long-time readers for this repeat tale but for you new-comers, it will help you understand what kind of a weekend I have had so far.

The businessman had been back from his his trip to China only a few months when he began having problems with his private part. When he was desperate enough to see a doctor he was told to wait while the doctor researched the books. The doctor returned and said that he had Chinese Yellow Dick, and the articles on it said he had to have an amputation immediately. The man dressed and stormed out.

Being that he lived in New York city, he felt he had a better chance if he sought out a Chinese doctor as he would be more familiar with the disease. Upon examination the Chinaman confirmed the disease. While the Chinaman was writing out a prescription, the man told him that the American doctor said it required immediate amputation. The Chinaman laughed and said, “Oh ho, America doctors so funny. No have to amputate.” The man said, “Oh thank god doctor.” The Chinaman then turned back around and said, “Just wait two week and fall off by self!”

Last week, after reservations, my wife bought me a heavy duty, gas powered hedge trimmer so I could reclaim the farm back from the jungle. I was 75% completed yesterday morning when she hollered that when I finished that I could clean the garage out. I had no choice; I sliced through most of the tip of my pinkey finger.

Being that I go into shock easily when injured, I called her on the phone and told her to stand by. Now there was no pain nor blood involved here (still no pain). But on the way to the hospital I began to go incoherent. She said that when she pulled up to the front door of the hospital I said I was going to throw up, I opened the car door, leaned out, passed out and rolled out onto my head on to the sidewalk. I came to wondering if I had had another birthday already and sporting a bald spot on the top of my hitherfore hairy head from the concrete rash.

The doctor who stitched me up was keying into his computer afterwards, looked over at me and said, “I am sorry, but I have too.” I now have “ D u m b a s s” on my permanent record.

He also said that more than likely, the tip will turn black and in two weeks “Fall off by self.”

When I got home my initial instinct was to blame my wife for the whole thing and tell her that I have been rolled out of cars by prettier girls than her before, but I just couldn’t lie to her, she’s still the prettiest. My only problem with all of this is, being the accountant in the family, I was so looking forward to teaching our new Grand-Daughter how to count to ten. Now I may have to settle for nine and a half.
jimcosta

Postby IceFire » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm

After I got home from my grocery run yesterday (while I was gone, hubby was working on clearing some mesquite and leveling the area where the new outbuilding will be, until he ran over some mesquite and put a hole in one of the front tires on the tractor--good thing it wasn't one of the BACK tires!) hubby wanted to go to the PX to "look for TVs" (AND guns. :)) He ended up getting a 1911-style 9mm, and I got a new Kimber Micro .380 :D

Worked out a barter deal with another lady at church for a "livestock swap"...she wants some new chickens in the Spring, which I can provide, since I have the incubators to hatch out the chicks (as well as the roosters and laying hens), and she plans to get a new doe to breed. (Her last one had quads 2 weeks premature--lost all 4 kids AND the doe :mad:) She does NOT want the kids, though, just the milk from the doe. So, we'll swap chicks for kids; then I'll raise the kids, keep any doelings for future milking stock, and castrate any bucklings and raise for butcher. When I get the bucks slaughtered, I'll share the meat with them. Works well for BOTH of us! :D

Not really a "prep", as such, but today took the tractor tire in to get patched and re-aired. Mesquite thorns really do a number on tires! When it goes in for its' "50-hour service", I'm springing for the extra $$ to have the tires filled so that they NEVER go flat again! We've been lucky so far that it's only been the front tires getting punctured...if one of those big back tires gets punctured, we're screwed until we get them filled.

Picked up the flooring tiles (I cheat...wood-look vinyl peel and stick flooring tiles) for the shed that will be delivered in about a week...it will be my new sewing/crafting area, as well as extra storage, so I can get the excess stuff OUT of my house, and that bedroom can become a "guest room". (OR someplace for me to retreat to when my husband's snoring is keeping me awake.)

Also planted more green beans in with the pumpkins (As much as the pumpkin vines are sprawling, they should protect the seeds/seedlings from any winged or furry "raiders".) Was going to re-plant the chard seeds, but with the storm rolling in, had to stop. If it was ONLY raining, I would have continued, but NOT taking chances with the lightning.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:22 am

Drained the pool we're selling. Once its taken down we plan on building a double walled root cellar since it will be above ground. Hopefully with the large pine tree and the house so close to it , it will manage to stay a cool temp for storing apples, carrots, late season cabbage and potatoes,etc

Making a run to sam's club sometime before the end of the month. Will stock up on more rice, seasonings,cleaning supplies and paper products

Did buy more storage containers for the supplies we have. Now is the time what with school starting up. One month to go here so everything from furniture,small appliances,office supplies,even some health and beauty aids are on sale. Plan on taking advantage and getting printer paper. Getting low. Also need more ink for the printer and plan to buy extra
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 pm

The family was here for two weeks - an assortment of my siblings, in-laws, nieces, nephews, grands, my kids, and even my niece's neighbors - they were visiting family about 2 hours away, and met up with us to hang out.

I didn't get much done prepping-wise, but we all had fun. As with the last time everyone came, they didn't want to leave, and some are now even more earnestly making plans to move here. We discussed options, and we'll see how it all shakes out. Best laid plans, and all that...

The new addition was a big hit - 5 girls ended up out there on cots, enjoying their spacious, private space. All my handmade laundry bags and the store-bought totes were a huge success - the girls really liked all the goodies in their bags.

My prepper niece brought 2 pints of her homemade strawberry jam, we polished it off in no time.

Husband and I need to harvest the remainder of the garden since we neglected it while everyone was here. We got one blackberry (the birds got the rest), and a handful of strawberries (the heat index was too much for them despite copious watering). We had plenty of jalepenos and some peppers.

Our neighbor provided squash, cucumbers and tomatoes from her garden, mine are still not producing in quantity.

I did get some sewing done - hemmed up jeans for a niece and mended some other garments for the others, too. One niece is learning to sew, she brought both her yard-sale machines for my Dad to look over, we got one running, the other needs more work.
Cin

Postby NJMike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:06 pm

@jimcosta - Yikes. Best of luck with the finger.

I've been really occupied lately getting a house ready enough for sale, with lots of minor repairs and lots of clean up. Working on filling a 3rd 20yd dumpster...I think at least one dumpster's worth was just stored building materials. Sad to see some of that go. However, In recent activity, during cleaning and dividing some final items with the ex, I recovered 10 pails of rice, beans and popcorn. I recall in this lot that some of the restaurant supply beans were a little iffy looking directly out of the bulk bags when I'd repacked in mylar with DE within the 5 gal pails. I'll have to open one pail up, see what they look like, and how they rinse up for a cooking. Decoy food at the worst.

From past reporting in this topic, my damaged #10 cans order from Augason got replaced and I'm satisfied with their follow through. First time I called for replacements I fell through the cracks, but that employee was no longer with them, so think that explained it.

Haven't been buying much lately. Just small incremental purchases. I got in a few items from Lehmans. A set of gimlets to go with my old time manual tools, a honing kit, a replacement lid for my 5 gal ceramic fermenting crock (on it's way), and waiting for a book on solar that's currently back ordered. From the Amazon, some trauma kit items inbound for several IFAKs- tourniquets, chest seals, and airway tubes. In my more frugal shopping, been picking up some additional 2nd hand books on the cheap. Among them medical reference books as well as books on learning sign language.

The container garden is doing well. I've been harvesting tomatoes and peppers. I think I'll be drying peppers at minimum. Time allowing I might make a small batch of canned peppers.

Spent a short amount of time looking at PA property. While I'd love to get out of NJ later this year, it might be more realistic to find something "right" and do it next year.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:01 am

My husband bought me a new hoe from Lehmans, one like he used to use in the melon fields.
Sounds like he is taking over the "weeding" in my garden next year. That will help.

Yesterday it cooled down some, finally. I got out and dug my potatoes, pitiful yield this year,
pulled my onions. Pulled up half the green beans, I have canned all I want of beans, no more.
I picked a 5 gallon bucket plus part of another bucket, broke and cooked us a batch, gave the
bucket of beans to the food pantry.

I'm done with relish, have enough pickles left from last year, made peach jam and canned
peaches, froze some too. I want to get 5 dozen more ears of corn. The cabbage is done,
so I mowed where I dug and pulled stuff up.

Maybe tomorrow pick cukes and pitch and donate some of them. My tomatoes are starting
to ripen. Going to make spaghetti sauce, takes almost a day to cook it down in BIG kettles.
Also will make juice and stewed tomatoes. Then will donate those too. I need to can some
green tomatoes also, so might do that first.

Going to be hard, I know they are going to really come off the next week and I have appointments
most days and DIL and grandson will be here.

Tomorrow getting an EKG, then next week a stress test, had a couple little scares with chest
pain and a couple episodes of breathlessness, likely stress over the kids.

I bought a case of TP and toweling paper. Pick up canned goods, bought sugar, need to get another
25 pound bag.

We are getting the generator fixed on the motorhome, had to take it to Indianapolis to an Onan
shop. Need it fixed for sure, that may be our lifeline one day.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Genevieve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 am

Been cutting and drying my herbs. Did freeze some in olive oil and some in just water. Those silicone ice cube trays are the best invention ever lol

Having a bumper crop of herbs this year for some reason. My sage and both types of chives are huge this year and the different thymes I have are growing like crazy. I'll have plenty for storage
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve

Postby IceFire » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Pulled weeds in a couple of the garden beds and along the outside of the garden fence on the driveway side. Since it's monsoon season, and temps are down with rain almost every day, planted Swiss Chard, Short N Sweet carrots, French Breakfast radishes, Romaine lettuce. Will probably do some more weeding and planting tomorrow evening, weather permitting, to get my fall garden in.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby farmer_dude48 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 am

Picked a wheelbarrow load of Tomatoes to can for juice and my order of rice and rolled oats came in need to pick them up tomorrow... Sigh it's going to be a long week end..
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:56 pm

It was a good year for tomatoes. Canned tomato sauce, salsa (28 pints!), preserves, jelly, roasted Romas, and pickled. First year at canning dill pickles. Froze some shredded zucchini but ate most of it fresh - sometimes eating it every day. Made plenty of zucchini boats and lasagna. We had so much rain this month that we struggled with the garden. Only a few yellow squash, one cantaloupe and few green beans.
Our new chicks are growing and adjusting to their new home.
Grapes, cultivated and wild, are doing wonderful. Won't be long and I'll be canning jam, jelly and juice!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Blondie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:58 pm

A heads up for those who shop Lehman's online. I made a road trip down there over 4th of July and their inventory of Prep items has really shrunk since I was last there 2 yrs ago.

I picked up a couple of cases of their canned beef and chicken which is quite good and has a 4yr best by date.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby IceFire » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Husband and I took the morning to drive down to a town on the border in the next county so that we could adopt a new pup from the animal shelter there. We've been looking for a new husky since Sasha passed, and we finally found one. So, went to pick up our girl this morning. Drove through some pretty country (and possible source for grape and hop vines) on the way. Got her back and let her meet the other dogs, the horses, the goats (the goats are NOT thrilled) and the chickens (they do NOT like her) and let her run a bit, which she really enjoyed...she even went "swimming" in the horse trough!

Pulled weeds in another of the beds, loosened the soil, and planted spinach seed. After that, we had to hurry and feed animals, due to the thunderstorm rolling in.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion