• Advertisement

JULY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: JULY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Genevieve » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 am

Fella we sold the pool to is coming this afternoon to take it down ( yay). Next will be hubby building the double walled rootcellar. He said it should be like a refrigerator. We'll see

Heading to sam's club in the next state over tomorrow ( we don't have one here in the area). Will be adding more sugar, cleaning supplies,bags of baking soda ( use it for all kinds of things here), spices,and some health and beauty items
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 am

Fixing the chicken house can't seem to keep the little birds out of it and I don't want them to make my girls sick... I think I am going to plant lima beans today I don't know if they will make it to shell out or not but its worth a try. I picked up my rice and oats yesterday at a whopping .25 cents a pound.. I love Amish bulk stores
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:09 am

we've had a lil extra money each month,since my mom went into the hospital,3 months ago..so im still buying toilet paper.in which we're finally getting stocked up on extras of it.we're now good on store bought ,canned foods for now..so,i'll be stocking up on meats,drink mixes,canning supplies,as well as other items i consider to be needed.on my next shopping trip
jimLE

Postby MsMossRose » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm

We will be moving to TN in the Fall and then will be looking to find our BOL, so we have a lot to get done before then. Early in the month, I started going through one of the storage units deciding on what to keep, sell, give away, or throw away. Almost done with it since most of it we did not keep and the other unit is already organized and ready to load up. I think this is the hardest thing for my family to do. We may not have used something for years but someone keeps trying to find a reason to keep it. We had to institute the "if it hasn't been useful in the last year and not a part of long term storage it goes" rule.

Continued taking weekly shooting lessons. For every box of ammo I buy for practice, I buy a second for storage. Landed a really good one day deal on BOGO 9mm Luger, so we pick up a few extra boxes. I was able to get some over time at work and added another month of personal item storage for the family and pets ( Toothpaste, brushes, razors, soap, shampoo, conditioner, pads, Flea shampoo, ear mite drops, wipes, deodorant, gold-bond powder,) Also picked up some basic items to add to the medical box. OH, and I just received Mylar bags so I can finally put up the beans and rice storage in buckets. We have never used the bags so we get to do something new next weekend. We also picked up a few meat bundles and canning supplies to try our hand at canning some various meats next weekend too.

I didn't feel we had been too productive this last month until I seen it written down... Everything is adding up!
MsMossRose

Postby IceFire » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:26 pm

After we got back from Church this afternoon, we worked on the fencing for daughter's expanded "dog yard". She had pounded in the t-posts yesterday morning, while DH and I went to get our new pup. Of course, when we were ready to start bringing over the wire (no-climb horse fence, left over from when we were first putting up the corral; so, when we took it down, we just rolled it up and saved it for later projects. Some had gone for the back part of the garden, but this was our "leftover" fencing.) the thunderstorm started rolling in. So, we put it up this afternoon. She still needs to make her gates and then link the remainder of the wire to the other side of her gates, (in the meantime, we took two of the dog kennel panels at each end, and used them to "bridge the gap" between the fencing and where the gates will be. After her gates and remaining wire are up, the kennel panels will be moved and used for an additional "chicken run".
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Spent more time getting the house ready for sale, so not alot of prepping activity this week. Bought my tickets for the Mother Earth News Fair in PA in September. Ordered some small AGM deep cycle batteries for my modest test solar panel. Only planning to use this system for recharging small electronics batteries, like for my HT comms equipment or running a radio straight off the AGM batteries. Also read through a book on solar I'd ordered. Useful in the theory, but was based more on planning for house systems.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:37 pm

After the tomato canning marathon of July, we decided to purchase a SS canner. We may can outside next year and have 2 canners going.

We joined COSTCO over the weekend and restocked a few preps. We had a SAMs membership in SC and it's been over a year since we shopped at a warehouse store. I also wrote down a few prices so I can judge if it's a good deal to purchase there or from an online source.

We've been cleaning out the garden of spent plants. I still have a few things producing.

Raised the chicken feeder as the birds are growing. Made some climbing branches for them play on. They're snacking on end of season cucumbers and tomatoes.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Previous

Return to General Preparedness Discussion