• Advertisement

The truth about Rice and Beans

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Gunns » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Genevieve wrote:add your greens hon "roughage" makes the world go round


Agreed and I do. However, if SHTF roughage won't last long.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Genevieve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Gunns wrote:
Genevieve wrote:add your greens hon "roughage" makes the world go round


Agreed and I do. However, if SHTF roughage won't last long.



why not? :?

lambs quarters, dandelion, land cress, etc will still be around and you can harvest their seeds to grow them yourself
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
User avatar
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:23 pm
Location: WV

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Gunns » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Genevieve wrote:
Gunns wrote:
Genevieve wrote:add your greens hon "roughage" makes the world go round


Agreed and I do. However, if SHTF roughage won't last long.



why not? :?

lambs quarters, dandelion, land cress, etc will still be around and you can harvest their seeds to grow them yourself


I hope you are right. I am just thinking we may not have time to go around harvesting anything at first. You may be on a diet of what you have stored for months before wanting to venture around outside.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 pm

It would have never occurred to me to eat beans with rice. :blush: We eat a LOT of rice, all different kinds. Must be the sweet stepmother Vietnamese influence :)
I can't imagine life without rice! And I don't think I get clogged up, maybe because my system is used to it.
Beans on the other hand unclog me pretty quick!
User avatar
Stahlrosen
 
Posts: 520
Images: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 pm
Karma: 20

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Mollypup » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:02 am

Stahlrosen wrote:It would have never occurred to me to eat beans with rice. :blush: We eat a LOT of rice, all different kinds. Must be the sweet stepmother Vietnamese influence :)
I can't imagine life without rice! And I don't think I get clogged up, maybe because my system is used to it.
Beans on the other hand unclog me pretty quick!


You've never eaten Mexican food? They do beans & rice quite often, although it's usually refried beans. (same effect though lol )

You're body will grow accustomed to beans too over time and the "effect" will wear off mostly. But for those who have mostly stored beans......that might be a rather uncomfortable adjustment. Bit stinky too. :rofl:
User avatar
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Ohio
Karma: 109

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Just go out and work on the garden. Pulling hard weeds will help get you some stomach exercise and will fertilize the garden at the same time.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Karma: 72

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 pm

LOL, nope, not a Mexican food eater. I have had tacos and burritos, and quesadillas. That is about the extent of my mexican ventures.
User avatar
Stahlrosen
 
Posts: 520
Images: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 pm
Karma: 20

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby IceFire » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Being in the Southwest, rice and beans are pretty much "staple" items here. Not only that, but mixing beans and rice form a complete protein. We eat them frequently. I've never noticed the combination to clog me up.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
User avatar
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10096
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Baja Arizona
Karma: 148

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Gunns » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:51 am

IceFire wrote:Being in the Southwest, rice and beans are pretty much "staple" items here. Not only that, but mixing beans and rice form a complete protein. We eat them frequently. I've never noticed the combination to clog me up.


Well bless your heart. I was brought up meat and potatoes. Guess my insides are geared that way.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby handyman777 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:46 am

:eek: Beans Beans the magic fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so eat your beans at every meal. :clap:

Just my .02 cents worth.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 am
Karma: 13

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:41 pm

I hope you are right. I am just thinking we may not have time to go around harvesting anything at first. You may be on a diet of what you have stored for months before wanting to venture around outside.

This is an important point, I think many miss! Unless you have your own crops and they are in a safe location, going out may not be safe for any number of reasons.

The first is obvious as there may be people more desperate than you looking for the same things.

Contamination would be a huge second as people loose what little concern they had for garbage and sewerage.

Third would be seasonal. I live in a warm climate and there is almost always something that can be harvested, but your naive if you think it is always easy and plentiful.

Now if you live in a lightly populated area, own lots of land, and have a working knowledge of foraging like myself, your still going to die hungry unless you know how to raise and store crops. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 8168
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby IceFire » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Gunns wrote:
IceFire wrote:Being in the Southwest, rice and beans are pretty much "staple" items here. Not only that, but mixing beans and rice form a complete protein. We eat them frequently. I've never noticed the combination to clog me up.


Well bless your heart. I was brought up meat and potatoes. Guess my insides are geared that way.


I was brought up meat and potatoes, too, Gunns. I've adapted since marrying someone from the Southwest, and then moving here. Your insides CAN adjust, it's just easier on you if you ease them into it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
User avatar
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10096
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Baja Arizona
Karma: 148

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Gunns » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 pm

IceFire wrote:
Gunns wrote:
IceFire wrote:Being in the Southwest, rice and beans are pretty much "staple" items here. Not only that, but mixing beans and rice form a complete protein. We eat them frequently. I've never noticed the combination to clog me up.


Well bless your heart. I was brought up meat and potatoes. Guess my insides are geared that way.


I was brought up meat and potatoes, too, Gunns. I've adapted since marrying someone from the Southwest, and then moving here. Your insides CAN adjust, it's just easier on you if you ease them into it.

:thumbup:
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Something else would be a pickled relish such as chow chow, pickled peppers or stewed tomatoes. I had a lot of tomatoes this year so I pickled some. In reading recipes from blogs, pickled veggies were/are popular in places such as Russia. They're good for digestion and offer some of your summer bounty in the winter. My son and I figured all that would be good with beans and rice.
The hubs recently started a Tbsp. Of Braggs vinegar each night in a small glass of water. Says it helps his gut. I'm thinking it would help gut issues should a diet change be necessary. Any all natural vinegar with the "mother" would work. Braggs is very popular but there are other brands.

Mrs. FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
User avatar
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator
 
Posts: 5524
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Georgia
Karma: 77

Re: The truth about Rice and Beans

Postby Gunns » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:55 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:Something else would be a pickled relish such as chow chow, pickled peppers or stewed tomatoes. I had a lot of tomatoes this year so I pickled some. In reading recipes from blogs, pickled veggies were/are popular in places such as Russia. They're good for digestion and offer some of your summer bounty in the winter. My son and I figured all that would be good with beans and rice.
The hubs recently started a Tbsp. Of Braggs vinegar each night in a small glass of water. Says it helps his gut. I'm thinking it would help gut issues should a diet change be necessary. Any all natural vinegar with the "mother" would work. Braggs is very popular but there are other brands.

Mrs. FP


I like this idea. Finally got my wife interested canning our tomatoes this year. Easing her into canning again. I can do it myself but if she isn't interested she won't want the jars around.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors









Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer