• Advertisement

Doing Number 2

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Doing Number 2

Postby Cadit » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 am

LOL: Ok, we all know that there are times that we need to Relieve ourselves as nature must be obeyed. What's your thoughts on how you will manage this natural problem. Some people think that because animals crap in the woods they can to. Well it was done that way back in the 1800 and before, put today, it would be a very bad ideal for say 300 million to start following nature and dropping their waste in the woods.

For those times where I need be sanitary at my location, say my home if I haven't bugged out. I would do the plastic liner in the bowl and use cat litter. I also have a bucket with a lid. for on the move. If I had a bug out location, I would build a outhouse. That's what we had growing up, and a cast-iron tub for bathing on the back porch.

So what is your solution? What are your plans, share them. It may help someone who hasn't gotten that far yet.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Doing Number 2

Postby rickdun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:57 am

We have a septic system, so we really don't have a problem. Only have to have it pumped out every 10 to 15 years, was last pumped out 2 years ago.

I also have an outhouse that I built (illegally), but have it disguised as a shed for garden tools. I also have 5 gallon buckets, garbage bags and two seats. We're pretty much covered as far as human waste. :nervous:
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39 am

What rick said.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 pm

I loath pooping in the woods, it's a pain. I'd rather get teeth pulled. Once in Alaska, I got the squirts near Fairbanks Alaska, an emergency sessions In the woods left me in serious shape. While taking care of business, I was mugged by literally 500.000 Miskitos, ? These things were as big as small Cessna airplanes. I had so many bites I had to sit on a soft pellow.

I have PTSD, from that mugging.

From day one on our prepper adventure, I've kept at least 360 rolls of TP in the big preps. A barrel cut in half, slid under a plywood hol is handy. If you can't bury it, you must burn it.if not your creating a health hazard.

DW
Dirk Williams

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Cadit wrote:LOL: Ok, we all know that there are times that we need to Relieve ourselves as nature must be obeyed. What's your thoughts on how you will manage this natural problem. Some people think that because animals crap in the woods they can to. Well it was done that way back in the 1800 and before, put today, it would be a very bad ideal for say 300 million to start following nature and dropping their waste in the woods.

For those times where I need be sanitary at my location, say my home if I haven't bugged out. I would do the plastic liner in the bowl and use cat litter. I also have a bucket with a lid. for on the move. If I had a bug out location, I would build a outhouse. That's what we had growing up, and a cast-iron tub for bathing on the back porch.

So what is your solution? What are your plans, share them. It may help someone who hasn't gotten that far yet.

Years back, I took a two week survival class out in the woods. We were in the wilderness in Utah with just the clothes on our backs, a knife, a cup for gathering water, and sometimes we would have water bottles and be carrying blanket packs, the blankets we used for sleeping we would tie them into backpacks where we would sometimes carry extra gear such as liquid AO which we used for purifying water for drinking. We learned how to find food and water, we were taught what we could eat in the woods and sometimes food and water was provided such as fruits and we did at one point kill, cook, and eat a sheep. Certainly we didn't have any plumbing or toilets or even toilet paper for the two weeks we were in the woods.

So anyway, one of the first things we were instructed on was how to take a dump in the woods. You find a place where you've got privacy and then you simply drop your pants and squat and do your business. You then use sand to clean your butt crack. This was out in the desert in Utah so sand was very plentiful. After that you would use sand and sage to clean your hands. Sage is a plant that is very antiseptic and works just about as well as soap and it is also very plentiful out in the woods in Utah. So that's how we would do a deuce in the woods.

BTW they did have plumbing in the 1800s, and they had flush toilets and showers.
Photon Guy

Postby Cadit » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 pm

You guys are so with it. such good info and direction on what to do. I hope others reading this take away a little, will be most useful in a GDS. If you know other means to do this also, please post it, because someone reading this may learn and take away this knowledge.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby rickdun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 pm

If you're really into recycling, read the below post: :oops:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic- ... zmgz11zrog
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby ajax727 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Now this is funny if you have never took a dump in the woods then you must be a city boy . Leaves dry or green will do the job if you have them around . Your tee shirt will also work if you have a sharp knife just cut a little off and wipe . Wipe with your finger just remember what hand you used and try not to handle your food with that hand aka Army way . Some bark off a ceder tree will also work . If you can just dig a shallow hole before you dump and cover it up .
Now if you are in a camp never dump near or uphill close to your water supply , dig a hole behind a fell tree sit and dump in the dug hole .
A home i have all the bases covered .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Cadit wrote:For those times where I need be sanitary at my location, say my home if I haven't bugged out. I would do the plastic liner in the bowl and use cat litter. I also have a bucket with a lid. for on the move. If I had a bug out location, I would build a outhouse. That's what we had growing up, and a cast-iron tub for bathing on the back porch.

I have similar supplies on hand, but seriously don't know how long we could use this system. The concern is *where* do you keep all these filled bags? If this would be a long-term SHTF period, the bags will become a health hazard.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 pm

If we're staying on the homestead, we have a septic system that is less than 2 years old. If we're on the move, then we'll do like we were taught in the Army, and dig a "cat hole" to do "business" in, then cover up. If we're in a "camping" type situation, I have the 5 gallon bucket with the toilet seat and a good supply of "doodie" bags.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 pm

We too have a septic system, so I think we would be ok. Things would have to get really, really bad here for us to leave the property.
Stahlrosen

Postby jimcosta » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:59 am

Sanitary Sh it .

Sh it happens, and it's going to continue to happen when the sh it happens. The question is what are we going to do about our sh it? We have all heard the stories of people in high rises unable to get rid of their sh it. When that happens expect cholera, hepatitis and diphtheria in your neighborhood. So what's a mother to do?​

If you are a city slicker you may get a double whammy: no water and no sewage. Then on top of that the people uphill, or up from an underground lift station, will continue to use rainwater to flush with. But without electricity the lift station will not function, distributing poo poo to about ten percent of the households, making them uninhabitable. To prevent this, all homes should have a $4 four inch sewer pipe cap. If you discover you are a lucky recipient, just dig up the line, cut it and install the cap with a rock holding it in place.

If you have a water shortage however, you still have a sh it problem so now we have two problems in one. So lets solve them as one. First make a composting toilet with $25 in materials or for free using a toilet seat, a closet door and its two hinges, plus a five gallon pail. It will take a family of four a week to fill two buckets. Cover it with dirt, sawdust, shredded paper, compost or grass. I swear, there is no odor.​

A normal family uses 15,000 gallons of water each month with half of that, 7,500 gallons, used to flush. The compost toilet requires only 4 gallons per month. We just solved half of your biggest survival problem – water!​

We are now going to use the Human Manure Composting method to dispose of it. We will eventually build a 4 cubic foot compost pile. Stake out a 4 foot by 4 foot location. Empty the bucket, making sure that it is slightly wet if you choose not to urinate in it for some reason. Try to build sides to it. Cover each flush with a few inches of dirt, grass or paper. Never turn this compost pile. The idea is to let the sh it cook and build up steam. It will completely cook down in two weeks.

Continue to build the pile up to a height of four feet. When finished, let it age one year to kill the human pathogens. It is now ready as a fertilizer on your garden!

By the way, anything bio-degradable can go in that pile, including Pampers, bloody bandages, road kill, Tampons, etc. It will all cook down.

Get your neighbors to do this as well and you have just prevented the dreaded unsanitary diseases, no poo poo.

See my other website: http://co-opvillagefoundation.org/vHumanmanure.asp for more details.

Our group's Sewage plan is an attachment here: http://www.prepperlink.com/index.php/forum/159-general-discussions/26564-systematic-approach-to-group-survival

Also be aware that you can purchase a $10 bug sprayer (pump style) from Home Depot, shorten the wand, and now you have a biday in place of toilet paper.
jimcosta

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am

winter or summer? .... you aren't doing a pit toilet in the dead of winter up North without a whole lot of effort ...

a determined short time SHTF I'd just do the bag thing - and just find a place to sanitary stash ....

long term I'd improvise an outside john - try to snag a port-a-john vs building one - wintertime use the existing sewer system out on the street - most probably turn it into neighborhood block thing - summertime dig a pit and still use the port-a-john - just keep it semi private vs community
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Live in the country and could just go in the woods if I needed to. Already have a "Cadillac" outhouse on skids for easy relocation "just dig a new hole and line er up"! Plan "A" is a septic system and unlimited water fifty feet from the house. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Return to A.N.T.S.