• Advertisement

Grooming

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Grooming

Postby Cadit » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 am

let’s Talk about Grooming: You men out here, will you just let you hair grow long and grow a beard or do you plan on cutting it yourself? If the numbers are right that the government has predicted, there may not be any Barbers after a while. So, what is your solution? Long hair and a beard? Now me, I've had a beard as long as I can remember. Don't really know what I look like without one. Now my Hair, is like most men's walking around, above the ears and neat. But a few months ago, it was half way down my back. I do cut my own hair and go to a barber about once a year. I maintain it myself, not hard to do. Anyway; what's your thoughts.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Grooming

Postby rickdun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 am

I like you Cadit have had a beard since I got out of the Corps, I do keep it trimmed and have short hair, above the ears.

I do have electric trimmers that I trim my beard with and cut my 3 grandsons hair. I also have 2 battery hair trimmers.

I picked up an oster manual hand trimmers with # 00, #1 and #2 blades at a flea market a couple of years ago, but have never tried them out.

All else fails it'll be time for just plain sissors.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Genevieve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Hubby is lucky that he isn't "hairy". I can cut his hair if need be with scissors as for shaving I have enough cheap razor blades ( $1 a pack/10 in a pack) to cover him for about 5 years or so. A razor lasts me for a good while

I already cut his hair with an electric clipper
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:47 pm

I got plenty of razor blades, scissors for the hair. I will try to at least shave twice a week. Keeping as clean as possible is important.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 pm

I've already got a pony tail so no worries on hair, but for beard I have a LOT of razor blades, since my gas mask needs a good seal which means no beard at least where the mask touches the face...if you have a beard you either need to remove it or get a powered air purifier which are way more expensive than I can afford...
dmwalsh568

Postby IceFire » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm

I'll answer for my husband. He currently has a beard and mustache (He's growing it so he can play "Santa"), but if required, I have a good stockpile of razor blades, PLUS a straight razor. As for his hair, oldest daughter, who we share the homestead (but NOT the house...she has her own on the property) with, is a former cosmetologist, with all the tools, so she takes care of all our hair cutting/styling needs.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:18 pm

I have had a beard since I got out of the service. I am a fairly decent self taught barber, learned on my uncles, sons, and when I was in the service. In a world without antibiotics, shaving would be just another unnecessary risk. If things get bad, I would not suggest being pretty! Remember that old saying - Any port in the storm or the movie Deliverance! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 pm

At one time years ago my ponytail reached my belt and also my beard was that long too. I cut my hair off a few years ago and my beard , i was told that it made me look twenty years younger . I keep a beard and mustache now with a short haircut .The O lady keeps me trimmed up now so letting it all grow out want be no big deal . My hair line has not retreated yet but it is kinda white or gray now . At times now i clean shave and cut my hair back to about 1/4 of an inch but in about a week it will grow right back and in a couple of weeks it will be in full cover . Got a pair of hand clippers , battery type and electric and countless razors on hand . If things go south not worried about being clean cut and groomed rather look like a total trash in need of help .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby arkieready » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:35 pm

I cut DS's hair, far too thick and coarse, with scissors and a comb. He likes it very short. I won't use regular human clippers on him, maybe sheep sheers. He hasn't been to a shop in 20 some years, since he was 3.
DH, I can clip (his hair) if necessary, but he likes to visit the barber. I also cut my own, haven't been to a shop in over 20 years.
We are used to low maintenance hair care. We won't look much different shtf than now, hair wise. DH and I won't even miss covering the gray, which we don't, lol--au naturale!!
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Hey: you guys and gals are really with this hair thing, Now I know I'm not alone in this hair issue. If the world goes sideways and I need to shave the beard, than come what may, I plan on hanging around as lone as I can. As for the hair on my head as I said, I go to the barber shop only when I think I need to or if I screw up my cut. Normally I do my own cutting and trimming. I went to the barber last month, first time in about four years, but of course, up until that time I had long hair and a full beard, the wife likes me like this, but enjoys the change from time to time. says it makes her feel that she has a new man in her life for a while. :lol: Then she wakes up to the real world, that it is only me. :lol: again.

Hey Partners: thank for all the input, made me smile. And potty mouth; back in the late 17 to early 1800's people died because they were nasty, unclean and unkempt. Then the doctors of that time started suggesting that people take a bath once a month and wash their hair once or twice a years. So; yes grooming is a necessity for life or at least a healthy life. And like the American Indians said about the white people of those days, they could smell them before they ever saw them. WWII; soldiers were instructed not to bath with any type of scented soaps or use colognes, saying that the enemy could smell them.

So yes on all accounts; I don't want another group finding me and mine because one of us used a nice smelling soap. I do make my own soap, and have both, the scented and unscented types. In the WGM; I'll sell the scented soap to those outside of my group. Another :lol: .
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby Permafrost » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:05 am

I cut my hair and beard myself, it drives my wife nuts but she has learned to live with it. Once or twice a year I will take scissors to my beard and cut it as close to the skin as possible, I do my hair the same way every few months. Sometimes when I come home I take electric clippers to my hair and shave it clean because it is never even, one of these years I really need to get a mirror out at the cabin.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby handyman777 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 am

This is something I've always thought about - especially in a SHTF event. If that happens I'll probably let it go.
I cut my own hair and beard, I like to keep it short and simple.
Put the 1/4 inch adapter on the electric trimmer and all is good. Haven't seen a barber in about 7 years why waste the money when I can do it myself.
Wife liked it when my hair was long, but she has learned to deal with this look. :eek:
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Return to A.N.T.S.