• Advertisement

Landline Phones

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Landline Phones

Postby daaswampman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 pm

I have always been told to keep my landline as they still work when other phones don't work! Mine is on an old copper line, but it is getting more and more undependable. After numerous complaints, it boiled down to the phone company ain't putting any money or effort into landlines. The last time it rained hard, it was out for five days or until the ground dried out!

Is anyone else having problems with their landline. I am about to give mine up as if it ain't dependable now, why would I think it would work during or after a crisis? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Landline Phones

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 am

daaswampman wrote:I have always been told to keep my landline as they still work when other phones don't work! Mine is on an old copper line, but it is getting more and more undependable. After numerous complaints, it boiled down to the phone company ain't putting any money or effort into landlines. The last time it rained hard, it was out for five days or until the ground dried out!

Is anyone else having problems with their landline. I am about to give mine up as if it ain't dependable now, why would I think it would work during or after a crisis? Swamp

around here they are updating the landlines with fiber optic technology - just put a thru a new large system this spring - been satellite up-linked for decades .... I keep a couple of the simple landline phones in my Faraday Cage cache - with 911 reverse calling I'm figuring that could be a major communication link for official type info ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby jimLE » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 am

we have the same issue with rain.of we get 2 or 3 inches of rain..thats when we get at least. a lot of static.and we have a hard time,understanding who ever it is we called,or called us..phone lines was out,for 1 day,once.but thats only because a tornado took out a tree.in which the tree took out a phone box on the side of a road..i dont see us getting any fiber optic lines out this way..on account,just like daaswampman..the phone company in my area.simply dont care enough to upgrade..
jimLE

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:04 am

If you live in the sticks with the Hicks your out of luck. Any rural area receives less attention and upkeep from the phone company. My phone is on a 110 year old copper wire at the end of the dirt road. When it rains hard the phone quits and when it gets real hot during the summer months it may or may not work. Cell phones don't work here due to the mountains blocking reception so we are limited to a land line. The phone company has removed all public phone booths in the area. They claim its from vandalism and non use so the public phone booth option is gone. They want to force everyone into the cell phone system and have openly admitted they are not going to upgrade our land lines. Computer takes forever to connect and download things.
Fullmoon

Postby anita » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:36 pm

I keep my landline because my cell phone is so darned undependable in my house. Cuts out all the time. Also, I have DSL for the computer through the landline, so when Comcast internet goes out (just was out for a little while this morning--also undependable) I can switch over to the slower DSL and still have use of the computer. I have rarely had an issue with my landline.

However, Verizon recently split their landline billing from their wireless billing. Before it was bundled and you got a discount, but that's no longer an option. I have a feeling they are going lard the landline business up with debt then spin it off and let it die. Just a guess. They have been a miserable company to deal with in recent years.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Halmic73 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Might be just "ok" to keep for communication but one of the benefits of a landline is that you can suck some power from the lines in an emergency, if you know how. The phone company powers the landlines with Generators and HUGE rooms of batteries. If they are switching to fiber then the power benefit is eliminated. No use in keeping it.

P.S. I have an internet based phone jic.
If you ain't got time to do it right the first time you won't have time to do it right the second time.
Halmic73

Postby daaswampman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Am I hearing this right? They are not going to spend any money on the old copper lines and if they upgrade to fiber optic it eliminates the advantage of a landline?

I also found this article that might be of interest if you are also fighting this loosing battle. Swamp

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012 ... /index.htm
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby IceFire » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Hey, well at least y'all HAVE landlines (at least for now) my house phone is on a "box" run off of my cell service, and computer is via satellite (as is TV), because the cable/internet/phone lines don't run out here. And when we have a storm (like the one that just rolled through here) we lose our service until the storm passes. The natural gas, sewer, and water lines don't run out here either, which is why we're all on wells and septic systems, and most everyone has a big honkin' propane tank sitting in their yard. We're lucky we have electricity. (And we frequently lose that during storms, too, at least temporarily.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:19 am

IceFire wrote:Hey, well at least y'all HAVE landlines (at least for now) my house phone is on a "box" run off of my cell service, and computer is via satellite (as is TV), because the cable/internet/phone lines don't run out here. And when we have a storm (like the one that just rolled through here) we lose our service until the storm passes. The natural gas, sewer, and water lines don't run out here either, which is why we're all on wells and septic systems, and most everyone has a big honkin' propane tank sitting in their yard. We're lucky we have electricity. (And we frequently lose that during storms, too, at least temporarily.)

I wish we had the propane tank option - I'd own a small one for just emergency storage .... having everyone dependent on a heating fuel from halfway across the country isn't at all comforting ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Fullmoon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 am

We have propane and use it for the water heater, cook stove and to power an old Servel refrigerator when the power goes off. Yes, a refrigerator that burns propane and circulates ammonia instead of Freon. Was built in 1947 and works great. No cable TV lines, no natural gas, well water and roof rainwater for emergency's with a septic tank/system. Our power goes off for days at a time but I have a couple of generator's to run when this happens. We heat with wood and it takes about 5 cords a year. This year we had a fire going into late June due to unusually cool weather. We talk to the neighbors with a CB radio when the phone is out.
Fullmoon

Postby whls4legs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:09 am

SW MO same issues. Rain = no phone. I don't know how old this system is here, but if you dial your own number, it tells you to the party is on the line. Hang up, wait for ring. In moments it rings and you are talking to yourself. Mayberry.

I too keep ours for the DSL.
whls4legs

Postby jimLE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:47 pm

i learned recently.that a cable company will be running cable on out into the area i live in..that not only includes internet.but it'll also include tv,and not sure.it might include phone as well.so we'll not have better,and more secure connections.but faster as well..i do still need to look into a power booster antenna for cell phones thoe..on acount i figure there'll be days i'll need the cell phone..
jimLE

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather