• Advertisement

How Many Blueprints Do I Need?

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Re: How Many Blueprints Do I Need?

Postby Blondie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:26 pm

OAR & everybody who took the time to listen and comment, thank you.

I will refer back to this and take notes before I meet with a builder. I'll post when I get cost estimates.

There's a lot of experience here.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby handyman777 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:59 am

In my "very" younger days we lived between tawas and oscoda in a cabin/home built on a slab; very cold, pipes would freeze so the water was left on a trickle, etc. started with oil heat and a fire in a large fire place that rarely never went out.
Once propane was installed all the duct work was ran in the attic for forced air which helped. (just my 2 cents ).
I would not care to live on a slab foundation again. There is also the chance of crack's which can lead to water seepage so think hard about your decision.

I would consider basement or cinder block crawl no less than 4 ft. with a concrete floor and drains and plenty of outlets and lights that can be turned on from a main entrance. If you do that you might as well spend the extra for a basement.

Also depends on the depth a basement is dug, be careful of water tables, you may need a sump pump that runs 24/7.
I've seen beautiful homes with their walls dripping with water because the contractor did not know what they were doing.

If its in your budget, I would go with a basement or raised basement and then back filled.

Like others have said; you have a location for all the extras that would be on the main floor.
Don't forget to add that hidden/safe room :ninja:

Its a new build so build it to your liking.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Handyman, this is going to be propane. I checked with the utility co. and the closest natural gas is 2 1/2 miles away. Not enough homes in the area to justify the cost of bringing in natural gas. I do have electric at the road.

Just about every full basement that I've seen up here leaks. That's when I found out rain gutters are not required by code. I saw 1 home with a dry basement. They also had rain gutters.

The thought of a full basement with glass block windows is appealing, but then there's the price. :rolleyes:
Blondie

Postby IceFire » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:39 pm

A couple of things that will help keep a basement dry.

1. Rain gutters on the roof will keep rainwater from collecting by your foundation (Plus, you can "harvest" the rainwater for later use in garden, etc.

2. When you start your build, place French Drains around the perimeter of your foundation to channel water AWAY from your house. DO NOT cut corners and leave them out. ESPECIALLY if there is any "slope" above your house...water runs downhill, and if your house is in the way, you will end up with a VERY wet foundation (or even a collapsed wall unless you have French drains to channel that water around and away from your house. (From someone who used to live on a hill where the previous owners had that exact problem. Once the French drains were installed, the issue was solved.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Yeti_2015 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:44 am

As far as how many you really need, that depends on the municipality or governing body that you are dealing with. I know from the houses, buldings, and other structures that I have done plans for usually 4 sets is a safe bet. 1 for submittal (maybe 2 if there is two seperate identities you deal with), 1 for the contractor, and 1-2 for you (mostly a backup copy for the contractor). Most printers shops will print you large format pages for about 3-4 dollars per sheet. If a company or group of individual sub-contractors does them you will have about 8-10 sheets depending on the size of the building. In our state, even in the rural areas the county or state code enforcement can come out and ask to see or have a set to review and stop the work until they have time look over the plans. It's smart to reach out to a architect or general contractor in you area to get the plans up to code in your area. All states, counties, and cities have different codes and all are not the same. If the code enforcement comes out, it can ease things over and they might not stop the work if they are familiar with the architect or general contractor. Yes this will cost extra money, but could possible safe you a headache and time on the back end. Good luck.

Also as far as changing the plans, again talk to a architect or general contractor. They can take a pdf, dwg, or even an image file and make it a drawing that they can alter. Or at least the good ones can.

Just to give you an idea, I have been doing AutoCAD drafting for 20 years. In the last 4 years I have transitioned for the oil and gas field to more civil and structural. I have done 3 sets of house plans in the last 4 years. Each place is different as far as what you need.
“Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much.”
–John Wayne

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”
-Mike Tyson
Yeti_2015
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 am

Bondie,
Get one digital copy and stick the printing costs on your contractor. A general contractor will probably have a printer that can print large stuff, and they are the ones that will decide which subs get blueprints. Depending on how the contract is written the contractor can also be the one who has to get all permits and file all paperwork with municipalities. If you are acting as your own GC then it is a whole different story.

I'd go for the basement, or at least a daylight basement. Two things though. One, insist on the whole basement (either poured concrete or block) being wrapped in a self sealing membrane to prevent ground water infiltration. Two, have the basement walls covered with either 2" or 4" of foam board insulation on the outside before they backfill. In northern climates many basements suffer from cracks because of the freeze/thaw cycle and the membrane will prevent water from seeping through them. I have also discovered that most spring ground water infiltration is because of the heat bulb effect. Simply put the ground around your basement thaws sooner because the basement puts heat out, and the snow on the ground that melts has to go somewhere. If all surrounding ground is frozen the only place for this water to go is right beside your basement walls. If you add some foam board the ground around your basement stays frozen and the water will follow the grade on top of the frozen soil. Also if you can swing it, do radiant heat flooring for either your slab or basement. They put pex in the floor and you pump a water/glycol mixture through it to provide heat, you'll never have cold feet again.

P.S.
Consider yourself lucky you have a frost line, it only gets more expensive when you have no frost line or have soil that never thaws.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 am

We have a dry basement, the owner said they put something under it when building called a formadrain.
Sounds like it channels the water away? Also I don't know what they coated it with but its now 13 years
old and never flooded for them or us. The walls are formed and poured concrete. We do have a sump
pump and when we get deluges it runs, a lot of water is pumped out of it.

My husband, got a bigger pump when we bought the house 4 or 5 years ago, the original was 9 years old
and he didn't want one to fail, he also put in a bigger outflow line, wanted to be safe. He also installed
a battery backup system, we were having a lot of power outages. The battery would run the pump 24
continuous hours if needed of course, we never needed anything like that. So 13 years later still good
and dry.

We do not have window wells on the only 2 windows, one was leaking some water, so I dug down, dirt
had built up and was letting water come in, so no more issue there. Each window does have a drain
in front of it though.

We also had the utility company put in a whole house surge suppressor on the meter. The first year
I lost a computer, freezer, and maybe a fridge because of power surges, no problem since. It costs
$2.99 a month, cheap insurance.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby anita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:47 am

Blondie, I have a dry basement, and a very high water table. I have springs about 40 feet from the house in the spring, when there's a lot of rain.

We have a sump pump, but I also have a gravity drain. It runs from the sump hole out onto the yard. Having one is dependent on whether you are on a slope or not. My sump pump had a problem in that it started running all the time, so I just unplugged and didn't buy a new one for years, with no problems. The basement slab is also on gravel (I assume that's normal but maybe not.)

I can't believe that houses have no gutters. They are asking for increased problems with siding, windows, leaks, etc., unless the overhang is huge.

We built our house about 15 years ago, and just in the process of selling it. Things I've learned--make sure you have a porch or some type of overhang over the front door, so that the door doesn't take a lot of weather. Make sure your roof overhangs the siding. Mine is 16-inches, and that is much more than some. It keeps the rain away from the house a little.

Keep plants away from the house. Don't have things planted right against the house. It helps to keep the siding dry.

Expect to spend about 20% more than you think you will. There will be problems.

Don't use stucco!! Even real stucco is a problem. I am living that nightmare now.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby anita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:We have a dry basement, the owner said they put something under it when building called a formadrain.
Sounds like it channels the water away? Also I don't know what they coated it with but its now 13 years
old and never flooded for them or us. The walls are formed and poured concrete. We do have a sump
pump and when we get deluges it runs, a lot of water is pumped out of it.

And PS--glad to see you back! I thought you'd driven that Urban Assault Vehicle right off the edge of the earth!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Blondie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:12 pm

anita wrote:And PS--glad to see you back! I thought you'd driven that Urban Assault Vehicle right off the edge of the earth!
Glad to see her back, too! :D

The blueprints came and boy am I overwhelmed ! I did get drawings for slab, crawl and full basement options included so I have an idea for mechanicals with each option. Going to study these for a while before I get cost estimates. I need to learn what the water table is here is. The soil is sandy so it shouldn't be hard to punch a well.
Blondie

Previous

Return to Construction Cornerstone