• Advertisement

Hunting-Then and Now

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Hunting-Then and Now

Postby Cadit » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi ALL: I was thinking the other day about when I was big into hunting, like every week-end all winter long. I had 17 of the 14 1/2 inch Beagles. Love them dogs, but many a time they would catch their pray and bring it back to me in good shape. While I like shooting my game, I did like how they would run the pray and run it back to my location it didn't tree or go to ground. But I a great job opportunity and sold off my dogs and kook the job.

I had an uncle who raised and trained hunting dogs, mainly for Bear, Cougar or Mountain Lion. He made his own feed for them to eat, nerve would tell me how he made it. A lot of talk on subjects of: water, food, medical, guns and the list go on. A few comments and post about pets or guard dogs have pop up a time or two, but never have I seen anything about hunting dogs, a great addition to one prepper or survival plan.

So; What's your take on Hunting Dogs to help provide food?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Hunting-Then and Now

Postby IceFire » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:44 pm

A well-trained hunting dog can be a real asset. A not-so-well-trained one, however, can be a royal pain in the butt. (My Dad used to have hunting dogs of the well-trained variety. A neighbor, on the other hand, had some of the not-so-well-trained ones. They caused no end of trouble.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby handyman777 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 am

I used to love hunting bunny's with beagles, you knew when they were on them just by the tone of there bark and they would bring them right back to you, that was a long time ago, I miss those days.

Now the dog is there for security and companionship, and always on guard.

A good hunting dog needs to be worked regularly so they don't get lazy and keep them sharp; once they have it in there blood (Hunting) you can't move fast enough for them.
Just say the word and they are already in the truck waiting on you.

Nothing wrong with a well trained hunting dog to help with dinner.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:46 pm

You both are so right, I learned from my dad how to handle dogs at around the age of 8. He then started teaching me to shoot around 9 or 10. Got my first rifle at 10 years of age. By the time I was 13, I was hunting on my own. Started with a 22, next a 16 gauge then on to the 12 gauge. Had a 10 gauge for a while, just too powerful, shoulder would ache for a week.

But you guys are so right about how it can add to your wild food stock, that is if they are good hunting dogs. Thanks for your input.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Chester Copperpot » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:43 pm

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer that I used as a police dog. Those dogs are hunting freaks! He was just as good as a seasoned bloodhound at mantracking. He would even bite on command. A dog that loves to hunt is a dog that can learn to hunt anything. But training them takes a ton of time and effort.
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.
Chester Copperpot
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:51 am

I can not stress how much I hate dogs for hunting, I love dogs but I have never had any luck using them for hunting. Up here we get about 5 or 6 months of the combined spring/summer/fall season, and during this time the dogs are mostly idle. I have tried so many times to use dogs for hunting but it has never worked. Granted none of my dogs have been hunting breeds (german shepherds, malamutes, huskies, and wolf hybrids) but I would think at some point they would eventually get it, but no. They may be great on a trap line and good for perimeter security but that is about it. As it is I have to really get on it if a bear shows up because they will either screw up my shot or drive it off, and it's even worse in the fall with moose. I've thought about getting a black lab from the pound just to try a different breed but I think once it gets in the pack it will be like the rest of the dogs I have, only without a good winter coat or a desire to pull.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Cadit » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 am

Chester; you hit the nail on the head with the training, each of my hunting dogs had at least two to three years of training before let loose hunting. I would put him or her with the pack after the first year of training, they learn a lot from other dogs as it were, and helps teach to work as a pack. I always loved just taking them out early in the morning and letting them run for an hour or so, miss that.

I never had much luck with the larger breads except for bird hunting, which is not my bag. But I did have two bird dogs at one time, but later traded one to a friend and gung onto the other more or less as a watch dog. But I must say, the best watch or guard animal I ever had, were geese. They are loud and mean, and very territorial. Always had two around, those eggs were huge, only needed one for breakfast. LOL
Cadit
Cadit

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I have several friends with hunting dogs. They are well training, but it is all about the sport. The time and energy it takes to train and maintain good hunting dogs hardly seems worth it, if you goal is game and not sport. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Return to A.N.T.S.