• Advertisement

Groups

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Groups

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 am

So after a few back to back freight trips I think I'm in town for like 5 days or something and I thought it would be a good time to talk about groups. Anyone who has read my posts probably knows my views on groups, but I am trying to understand the other side of the equation. I'm not talking about the security aspects or the whole group collective labor thing, I want to know about the interpersonal aspects of it.

Personally I just don't see it, so please explain it. I know I spent some time in a trap line cabin with my best friend and at the end of the season we decided that living in a 16x16 cabin for a winter was a bad idea, were still friends but now trap separately and don't see each other that often. I know groups of miners who literally imploded during the season even though they were on good gold, because the personality conflicts got so bad. Alaska has had no shortage of divorces due to isolation in the wilderness, and these were people in love who just lost it because of the societal isolation and constant contact with the same person. These are "good times" situations where supplies are plentiful and though isolated in the wilderness society is just a plane ride away. What would happen during "stressful" situations where everything is falling apart and supplies are running short?

For those of you who have groups, what do you do to insure that personality conflicts don't spiral out of control? Do you all undergo psychological screening? Have you spent months in isolation to try it out? Are you thinking that the alternatives will be so bad that everybody will just suck it up and deal with it? Do you do group counseling or something like that? What makes you think your group will weather the conflict without falling apart, because if you have a group I know you think it will survive otherwise you would not be part of it.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Groups

Postby LetsPrep11 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 am

I share your concerns! I've been a loner all my life, probably due to my step-mother always grounding me for a month. Now, I can only take people in very small doses. I know it's a flaw in my personality, that I need to be in control and need lots of alone time. Unlike many I know, I like to keep busy and am perfectly happy by myself. We have some folks joining us if the SHTF, to help with security, and I dread it. Might not survive tolerating other people. Wish it could be just me and my dog! Guess there's no hope for me! :'(

Anxious to hear how others will deal with 'Surviving with Others'.
LP
LetsPrep11

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Following the service I tried several communes and all were exactly the same, 95% sheep and 5% doers. The only reason I stayed so long, I was young and the sex was good!

My little group - if you want to call it that, is long term friends that all have their own space and supplies. Much more like a mini community than a group. Even with that we rarely agree on much of anything, but we have more time apart than together. Our regular meetings never include spouses! If a few guys have trouble getting alone, try it with their wives and brats. We all see each other at church and that is too much! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 pm

I agree more with the "community" aspect (a carefully chosen community) with everyone having their own place, rather than a group. Closest thing we come to a "group" is husband and I, and our oldest daughter and her husband. We share the same property, but each maintain our own homes, and work together on the various "projects" (building the stable, putting up fencing, building chicken coops, goat sheds, etc.)

Outside of our family group, our community consists of carefully chosen families from our church, and a few friends and neighbors.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:06 pm

LetsPrep11 wrote:I share your concerns! I've been a loner all my life, probably due to my step-mother always grounding me for a month. Now, I can only take people in very small doses. I know it's a flaw in my personality, that I need to be in control and need lots of alone time. Unlike many I know, I like to keep busy and am perfectly happy by myself. We have some folks joining us if the SHTF, to help with security, and I dread it. Might not survive tolerating other people. Wish it could be just me and my dog! Guess there's no hope for me! :'(

Anxious to hear how others will deal with 'Surviving with Others'.
LP

Your going to do what I do! I have a big local family and know too many people. I literally live in the shops or in the woods. Even if I have nothing to do, I always have something - I just have to do!

Seldom Seen Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby Permafrost » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm

I figured this would get more commenters, I know there are some on this site who are big proponents of groups.

I can see the loose cooperative approach, it is like living in a small village. Everybody goes about their business and for the most part is a stand alone entity, other than for things like security. Granted some of the villages here do have problems but it is a sound concept that has worked for centuries.

I was hoping to hear from someone from a group, as I think this is a different dynamic then the community/village style alliance. From the utopias in the Puget Sound in the late 1800's to the communes in the 1960's to the militia camps in the 1990's, they all seemed to implode due to personality conflicts or politics within the group. I was hoping that with this gained knowledge modern prepper groups might have figured out a way to keep it together, and avoid the failures of the past. I would even be interested in hearing from someone with a struggling group, because they might have insight on how to avoid the pitfalls they are experiencing.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:49 pm

We would start out with a small group (6 family members and our neighbor, 3 members). My concern with our group is 1. my neighbor does not in any way shape or form handle stress well, not even little things, and 2. she is a soft squishy person and my fear is she is going to let anyone who looks like they need a place to stay, in. While our 'plan' is to combine forces with the neighbor, and I think in the long run if it works would be better, we certainly could do okay with just family. I don't see any real issues with the family dynamics, but I do have serious concerns with people we are not that familiar with (friends of neighbors). None of those extra people could even remotely make it on their own, so then the issue becomes how do you make them pull their weight, and what do you do if they don't? It would be interesting to see if anyone has already encountered issues and how they handled them.
Stahlrosen

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:30 pm

I saw this last night and read it to hubs. We were surprised that more folks had not weighed in on this subject. But, it is a much written and spoken about subject in the prepper arena. I do have personal experience but I'm gonna try to leave out too many personal details. :|

First off, most people are very independent and used to being in control of their own lives. Being in a group, you have to relinquish some of that control unless you're the top dog and typically their is only one top dog. So that means a whole bunch of worker bees and only one Queen. ( use your preferred analogy). This causes all sorts of reactions from people depending on their personality and upbringing. As a whole, our society carries around ALOT of emotional baggage - this all comes flying out in a group. Most often in the form of jealousy. Oh what a wicked gem is jealousy. The root of many an evil. It causes people to back away, doing less work, it causes talking behind others back, it causes friction and ultimately causes members to leave or being asked to leave.

The other issue we have encountered is differing levels of work ethic. What one family sees as priority, others do not. Why are they doing this, why aren't they doing that? Another issue of control. There always seems to be those that work hard and those that do not. And the guilty party (or parties) never see themselves as a problem.

Ultimately it is a vetting process that most people do not do thoroughly. I know that we didn't. Having that experience, I would advise people to give this a lot of thought, prayer and time before you get into any kind of permanent arrangement.

The stress of a SHTF scenario will make and break groups. Who really knows how people will react when it all goes down. Those of us who find ourselves in very small, disintegrated groups, are hoping that when our family and friends all arrive that it somehow works. Otherwise it's gonna be miserable and possibly deadly.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby kenjabroni » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:55 pm

I know that we would need more help but am very hesitant to reach out to others even though there seem to be some like minded people in our area. I would hope that our kids would be around if SHTF but there is no guarantee of that with them both in the military for the next 4-5 years at least.

When we moved to this part of Texas we have tried to meet new people and go to the local outings and such but its still us being on the outside to people who have lived here all their lives. We dont do church and I know that is a huge way to get into different groups. One thing that has helped us is that my wife works at the local library now and so she has made a ton of connections and met people that would be good to know in crazy situations that could occur. We do have contacts now that we could barter or trade with now that we wouldnt have had at all without her making these connections.

I think our situation will be more community helping take care of each other and such more than any hardcore groups. There could be some out there and with OPSEC it would be hard to find them honestly. I have made a few friends and such but I work in a different town about 35-40 miles away. People do know us as part of the community now though so thats a good first step. We just have to build more in roads. I dont think to many could be totally independant like Perma, but I also think putting all your eggs into one hardcore group could backfire as well. I think having a group would be fantastic, but I also think small communities could do well as well. Of course you will always have the bad apples no matter how big or small your town is and they would definitely have to be dealt with. In SHTF im not and anyone wanting to survive any amount of time will not be a charity organization.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm

I haven't really had much to say on this since it would only be conjecture.

My feeling is that a SHTF will create groups where none existed. It will test and potentially destroy groups that did exist.

The rest is just interpersonal relationships and having a common goal.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:49 pm

We, too, have reached out to learn our new community. I agree that locals will reach out to connect with their neighbors when the time comes. Some folks don't believe in that and see locals as threats. I think it's to your advantage as a prepper or as a group to blend in to a certain degree with your new environment whether that's where you live full time or if it's a part time BOL. I don't want to be seen as an outsider after an event when you will need some alliances.
I've heard of groups but have not seen one that is truly successful- I would love to hear from one. In SC it was an OPSEC issue as to why you didn't hear a lot of talk, maybe that's the case all over.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Return to General Preparedness Discussion