• Advertisement

SOG Tomahawk

Other weapons discussions

SOG Tomahawk

Postby Mountain » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Just got a new SOG Survival Hawk, and I've been using it around the property, and I really like it. I believe I'd carry this instead of a large fixed blade, especially for everyday work,protection, and anything else that might come my way. I'm always in the woods, so ya never know. :gunsmile:
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain
Tennessee Preppers Network

Re: SOG Tomahawk

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 am

Hmmm......Looks fun! :)

I had to look that one up....Really light option.

$30 bucks....seems like a good deal.

Let us know how it works out after some use....

Congrats Mountain.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Mountain » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Tested it out some yesterday and today. I tried splitting a half round of Poplar. I managed to do it in about 20 strikes. The blade is thin, the Hawk is lite. It will bury the face of the cutting edge in the wood. Not great for splitting, but the penetration for such a lightweight Hawk is impressive.
Next I tried making some wood spear tips. Since the SOG is lite, and very maneuverable it makes this process real easy. Put your thumb on the backbone of the full tang, and you can get a close grip on the cutting edge and make some very nice. Precision cuts. I really like this. It makes good fire starting chips Quick. Did I mention when carrying with the included sheath is very comfortable. As far as deploying it in a hurry. Forget about it. The sheath is horrible. It does have some eyelets on it to attach to your pack or gear. I'll no doubt do this, and make a custom sheath for it.
Anyway I'm liking it so far.
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain

Postby Cumberland » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 pm

I'm using the CRKT hawk with the hammer end ( I'm more of a bush craft ) . I don't know how I made it before my hawk? Oh yah a big (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) knife. Anyway, way more functional. the hammer end works well for splitting kindling when hit with a dead-blow hammer.
Cumberland

Postby Mountain » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:31 am

I"m still evaluating this Hawk. As for chopping small branches out of your way; its better than a large fixed blade, better than a full size Hatchet, but not as good as a Gurka, or a Machete. The reason I say its better than a Hatchet is purely its size and weight.
To split larger wood pieces, I would just drive the Hawks blade deep, and then take a good strong branch and pound on the full tang spine. Since the blade is thin, it just goes right through it . its not easy, but it works.
It does have a hammer face (2), but if your working in close it would no doubt be more difficult than a Hawk with a dedicated hammer end. its also not balanced for this kind of work which makes it uncomfortable to use has a hammer. pounding in some stakes on the ground will work good. So far my fixed blades are lonely, when i go in the Bush.
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain

Postby bacpacker1513 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:42 am

Good review. I've looked at these, but since I have a Cold Steel hawk with the hammer poll I'll probably stick with it. Works well for everything I have used it on so far. But then again a body does need a back up. I'm more of a bushcraft kinda guy as well.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513

Postby Mountain » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:24 pm

bacpacker1513 wrote:Good review. I've looked at these, but since I have a Cold Steel hawk with the hammer poll I'll probably stick with it. Works well for everything I have used it on so far. But then again a body does need a back up. I'm more of a bushcraft kinda guy as well.

Yeah thanks, and i agree with you. Your Hawk seems to work for you, and that's great.
I'm not brand loyal, although I do have several folders,and fixed blade SOG's. Lots of other brands as well. I really wanted to find out for myself if a Survival Tomahawk would be of use to me; 1st for using around my property, secondly to actually see if this type of Hawk would be a good addition to my BOV,BOB, and my SXS. If it turns out that I find its a good tool to have, I may invest in a custom Hawk.
I think I may have a Hawk problem like I do for Knifes. :thumbup:
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain

Postby woodchipper518 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:17 pm

Im a CRKT hawk with the hammer end kinda guy. I have a Gurka and swinging it is easier for a day than the hawk but that's me.
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:21 am

Try that Ferro cerium rod yet?

That looked to break a few timeS.....careful with it....

(lol...JuSt noticed my lower caSe "S" iS not working on my keyboard for Some reason....weird. I have to uSe capS for it to appear without opening a window like itS been assigned aS Some Sort of hotkey for opening a HP Support Window for my chipSet .... Great.... this iS going to be fun...lol)

Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:34 am

:offtopic: ssssssssssss.......HA!!! fixed it with a quick internet search. HP support center created a shortcut into itself assigning the letter "s"....That would have been frustrating to no end.

In case anyone runs into that issue go to start window....right click "HP support" (It might be under "all programs" if not right there)....click the "Shortcut" tab.....Delete any shortcut typed there.(Mine said it was "ALT+SHIFT+S" but only "s" was triggering it).....apply changes and save.....Viola!

Sorry for the tech interrupt on your thread but this might help a random person. :D
let us know if the fire rod breaks.....NBD but curious if it happens on yours too.

Thanks again for the review mountain. :thumbup:

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Try that Ferro cerium rod yet?

That looked to break a few timeS.....careful with it....

(lol...JuSt noticed my lower caSe "S" iS not working on my keyboard for Some reason....weird. I have to uSe capS for it to appear without opening a window like itS been assigned aS Some Sort of hotkey for opening a HP Support Window for my chipSet .... Great.... this iS going to be fun...lol)

Oh heck yes this rod will break. There's a you tube video on it.
I've used it 3 times without breaking it
The ferro rod is a nice touch/gimmick, but I definitely didn't buy this Hawk because it had a .25 cent Rambo fire starter in it. :-). I would have preferred some kind of sharpening steel instead. Oh well when I'm in charge at SOG there's going to be some big changes. :gunshooting:
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:52 pm

;)

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Mountain » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:16 pm

My review of the SOG Survival Hawk is over.
I really like it. I think its a must have in your BOV,UTV, or even a BOB. I've used it for everything its was intended for, and more. Its not a,throwing Hawk, but I practiced with it, and it can work ok. If the blade didn't stick in the wood the spike/nail puller would. Also the Fero rod didn't break during any of the impacts. In fact the Ferro Rod is still in good shape even after I've made sparks during 3 outings.
The Hawk will chop through green Maple, Pine, Poplar, and Holly trees. That's all I tested with diameters of 6" or less. It makes,pretty large chips when chopping.
I mentioned earlier, that this Hawk may replace my fixed blades. I don't think that way anymore. This Hawk is not a replacement for a good fixed blade. You just need a good fixed blade in the bush. I will definitely keep this Hawk close by. In hand to hand combat it rules over a knife, and pretty much anyone can swing a Hawk, and do damage.

SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain

Return to Other weapons