• Advertisement

Cascadia Tusnami zone members?

Please introduce yourself here.

Cascadia Tusnami zone members?

Postby esar145 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:30 pm

New to SW coast of Oregon and was wondering if there is any group looking at the
Cascadia Fault for prepping?

Looking at comms, transport and food storage options... Ham, GMRS and even CB radio with backup power. Transport with possibility of road closures due to quake\flood damage. Alternate food storage locations for people located within tsunami inundation zone for back-up.
Suggested locations, frequencies or routes all welcome!
Never too late to have a game plan! :clap: :shakeyes:
esar145

Re: Cascadia Tusnami zone members?

Postby Fullmoon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am

The Cascadia Fault Line shakes and quakes about 200 times per week, small, hardly perceptible mini quakes that might be releasing pressure and postponing that big one. The seismic energy lab at Humboldt State University monitors these quakes and you can look at their locations, depth and Richter scale levels on their web site. This department is run by Dr. Lori Dengler. If the big one happens you might be stuck where you are living due to the roads failing. For sure there will be no functioning cell phone's so a CB radio would be a good back up communications system. Cheap and reliable. I have 2 solar panels and a small battery bank to power CB radio's and AM/FM radio's to receive information. I have fled the coast and now live on the western slope of the Cascade's where there is less chance of being slammed by a large quake generated water event. Crescent City and Eureka both had damage caused by a quake/tsunami about 9 years ago and Crescent City got slammed in 1960 from the Good Friday quake that hit Anchorage Alaska.
Fullmoon

Postby esar145 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:16 am

We had been living Midway between Mt Shasta and Mt Lassen nice area but hot. We grew up on the coast so we are admitted fog eaters. Good for you having some solar backup! I will have 8 monocrystaline 75 watt pannel feeding a pair of gel cell batteries for a 24volt system. I find the charge controller doesn't car about voltage just current. DC to DC converters supply regulated
13.6vdc at 16 amps, more than enough. Have not used CB for a while is there a channel in particular used in Coos county? I think we are in a good spot on a hill so it's good.
esar145

Postby Fullmoon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:36 am

We are next door in Douglas County and monitor 19 and 21 but switch to ch 9 for medical emergencies. The highway patrol and county mounties monitor 9 also. Loggers use Ch 5 when hauling on dirt roads in my area.
Fullmoon

Postby esar145 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:08 am

Thanks... Good place to start. Hope to have online in a. Ouple of weeks. Have Cobra SSB radio but neet to build antenna for house....
esar145

Return to Check In Here Oregon Preppers