• Advertisement

Electric vs Gas Operated Stoves and Ovens

Discuss general food topics here

Electric vs Gas Operated Stoves and Ovens

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 pm

For stoves, ovens, and other machines for cooking food Im weighing the advantages and disadvantages of electrical vs gas operated. I used to have an electric stove but it has since been replaced with a gas operated stove. Im thinking that having it gas operated has the advantages of being able to reach higher temperatures and having greater temperature control but electricity has the advantage in that its power source is much easier to come by. If there's a gas shortage which could be very likely in a SHTF event and you're not able to get gas than your gas operated cooking appliances will be useless. On the other hand it would be much easier to get electricity than it would be to get gas in a crisis. Even if the power is knocked out you could have generators, backup batteries, and of course solar power which provided you can get sunlight can get you electricity even after you have no more gas for your generators and your backup batteries all run dry. So those are what I see as the advantages and disadvantages of having gas vs electricity when it comes to cooking.
Photon Guy

Re: Electric vs Gas Operated Stoves and Ovens

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:08 pm

you need to educate yourself on electric stove/oven and the power requirements ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:38 pm

When we built our cabin on our homestead we opted for a Premiere battery ignite gas stove. We have a propane tank that we keep topped off at 80%. We felt that was the best option for us. There's no clock or oven light - very basic and that's what we wanted. I've had it for 8 months and like it a lot. We don't use the oven in the summer, I have a countertop convection oven for little stuff. We don't have a microwave either.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby anita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Some people like to cook with gas, some with electric (I'm an electric person) I think it depends on what you have experience with.
anita

Postby IceFire » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 pm

While I like the control and steady temperatures of a gas oven/stove, out where I live, there are NO natural gas lines. I COULD do propane, but in any long-term SHTF event, additional propane would not be available. So, for now, I've got an electric stove/oven. Eventually, I'd like to get an antique cast iron wood-burning cookstove, because I've got LOTS of wood for fuel.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:55 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:you need to educate yourself on electric stove/oven and the power requirements ....

Good advice! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 am

We had electric back in '77 until we lost power for 3 days then we switched to a propane stove/oven. I have enough propane stored for about 2 years + the current 200 lb tank.

We have an old propane stove up in the barn that I bought last year, an Amana, no clock, no nothing, pilot light and an old cast iron cook stove (wood/coal) up in the garage that I use a couple times a year, in the winter. I have to admit, it takes practice to cook on one of those wood/coal cook stoves. We would never go back to an electric stove.

I have extra gas regulators and tubing for the gas stoves just in case.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:52 am

if you desire an electric cooking setup for your daily usage - I'd prep up for emergencies with a camping stove that would sit on the electric range - power up the range hood and the rest of the kitchen ... if the weather is accommodating go to an outdoor gas BBQ for part of your cooking ....

Id like to remind you about a SHTF that would be severe enough to threaten the propane supply or would have cut the piped gas - talking severe severe SHTF - that most certainly means food shortage - and you wont be cooking big time meals and would be cooking covertly to keep the raiders at bay - same thing applies to running your gennie ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby NJMike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:03 am

I miss my gas range. Electric is not as good at keeping a good steady temperature for canning.

Next place will require a gas/propane range and if that's my new home I'll make sure it's convertible to use propane, even if there's a city gas line. For SHTF, I'm not going to want to deal with the noise of a generator or a very larger and expensive solar set up to have a ridiculous amount of watts used for an electric stove. I'd rather have the smaller solar system for running communications equipment, battery recharges, and if necessary power tools from a generator.

For my backups to electric stoves now, I already have a variety of portable stoves, using a variety of fuels. Of course a fire pit is another alternative.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:21 am

NJMike wrote:
For my backups to electric stoves now, I already have a variety of portable stoves, using a variety of fuels. Of course a fire pit is another alternative.

NJMike that's good, I also have coleman double burner stove, oven, fire pit, propane grill, charcoal grill, 2 extra wood burners and a sun oven. I had an oven fabricated to put on the wood burners, big enough to put two pizza's in it. I'm good for cooking, boiling water, keeping warm, etc.. Can never have enough preps when it comes to cooking, sanitation and keeping warm in the winter. :shakeyes:
rickdun

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:44 am

rickdun wrote:
NJMike wrote:

NJMike that's good, I also have coleman double burner stove, oven, fire pit, propane grill, charcoal grill, 2 extra wood burners and a sun oven. I had an oven fabricated to put on the wood burners, big enough to put two pizza's in it. I'm good for cooking, boiling water, keeping warm, etc.. Can never have enough preps when it comes to cooking, sanitation and keeping warm in the winter. :shakeyes:

I have electric hot plates and heaters for back ups to everything gas - having power coming right off the intercontinental grid wires and the nuke plants could guarantee power when everything else goes flat ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Gunns » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:51 am

When we got our homestead it was all electric. What we did cost a bit but we thought it was necessary not just for prepping but for living day to day.

We had 2, 1,000 gallon LP tanks buried, installed a whole house gen, ran gas to the house and had the range and water heater changed to gas.

Our first year here we lost power 13 times and I made a living online so I had to go outside and set up the Honda 2000 gen in the rain and storm. Got sick of that real fast. Since we did the whole house gen we lost power several times and its kicked on every time. Last summer during a particular nasty hot spell we lost power for 3.5 days while our neighbors down the road suffered we had everything working.

Now we understand that during SHTF scenario I will have to shut down the whole house gen, but I would still have a gas stove and water heater. I have a well and it wouldnt be difficult to hook back into the house and run the pump on the Honda when we wanted water pressure and hot water. Looking to install a solar system for the pump.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:you need to educate yourself on electric stove/oven and the power requirements ....

And that's why Im posting questions about them here.
Photon Guy

Postby rickdun » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Photon, looks like you got a lot of info here.

I wish I had what Gunns has as far as propane tanks and hot water tank, I ran it by the wife and she said she'll check into it, I'm taking that as a no to maybe.
rickdun

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:58 pm

We have elect. and a whole house generator, with a small gas stove backup. We also have a wood stove that I cook on almost exclusively in the winter. Rarely use the elect. stove / oven in the winter, but that is by choice (unless the power goes out!) because I just think things taste better on the wood stove. The wood stove takes some experimenting, but I really like it so much better now.
Stahlrosen

Next

Return to General Food Topics