• Advertisement

August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Postby MsMossRose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 am

I've not had the chance to do much so far this month but I got dragged out on a shopping trip outing to a mall ( I don't get why we had to drive 3 hours but what ever) with some girls I work with earlier this week. I didn't buy anything accept lunch and as we were leaving I saw a clearance bin at the store entrance that was full of socks and underwear (the exact brand I wear.) A pack of 10 underwear $3 :blink: I bought nearly the whole cart. My size. sizes for my family and a bunch smaller because even though I have been losing weight (slowly) and trying to get in better shape, When shtf I know we are all gonna drop and we are gonna need them. The socks were all $2-$3 all thicknesses and shapes. I came out with a shopping cart full. :)
MsMossRose

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Had a 10% off coupon for Tractor Supply so I stopped in there and got a roll of barb wire, some files, pine tar, and a ton of little items. Wanted to stock up on Turpentine but they didn't have Any!! Walmart only had one can. What gives? Filled one 5 gallon gas container with ethanol free gas. Will be filling 2 more 5 gallon cans next week.

Big project was moving additional supplies to BOL in light of the worsening international situation and not just with NK. All none Bug out guns moved to BOL so I don't have to leave them behind. Moved more food and water too.

Picked up 3 gallons of Vinegar at Walmart along with 3 boxes of Baking Soda since both are so versitile.
3ADScout

Postby handyman777 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 am

angie_nrs wrote:Ordered some stuff online that was in my cart. Finally pulled the trigger on it as it's been sitting in the cart for a while now....mostly books.

Added some TP, batteries, tinfoil, salt & pepper, tylenol, and other things to restock what we have used and to add a bit more to what we haven't. Also added 10 gallons of water to the basement along with some other necessities should we need to shelter there for a few days for any reason. :whistling:

I've been reading up on nuclear attack and what to do in the event of one. I guess I'm a sheeple in this area since I really haven't prepared for this scenario. I just thought I was toast in such an event, especially since I don't have a bunker, but am finding it not to be the case if you can avoid fallout, which I think we could possibly do in our location. So, I've been moving some things to the basement and trying to put more thought into preparing for that type of scenario. :eek: You know, even though I feel like I am so much more prepared than most....I feel like a complete nubie with this. At least I don't have to go and purchase a lot of stuff.....I just have to get it more concentrated in one place. Still, it's a lot of planning and a lot of running up and down the stairs! Plus, I still have more learning/reading to do on the subject.

Here's a link to the article that someone posted on another site that I found very interesting and really got me thinking in this direction:
http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm
I'm so glad it offered a PDF version.....I printed it off today and will add this to my library after I'm completely done reading it.

Thanks for that link angie_nrs the more info the better.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:52 pm

I think I got a dream of a DIL, I went to town and she has been out picking peaches, she got a small wagon that you haul behind the mower off the tree. We are going to can, dry, and make preserves, they are going to take some with them to New York. Her mom cans but she said she never learned how.

She is thrilled, she sure is hard to get her to throw anything away. She said in Russia her mom made something out of everything. Makes you realize how wasteful we are here.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 pm

We are drying peaches again tonight. I'm tired to much other things to do and the bad foot
is killing me. DIL wanted to pick more and I said lets get this wagonload done first, please.
We have tomatoes also. I want to send tomato juice and stewed tomatoes with she and
son plus canned peaches and peach jam. Have to see if I have the energy.

They are going to snow country but she knows about stocking up.

I bought 30 pounds of sugar today, almost ran out, will get more, have vinegar, didn't make
many pickles this year, had some left.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:00 pm

We have picked grapes twice - about 4 pounds. Processed juice yesterday and didn't get quite enough to make a batch of jelly. Will pick more this evening.
Bought more half pint jars for jelly and jam making as we want to keep our extra jar stockpile untouched in the barn. Also a double pack of low sugar sure jell to replace the 2 I will use for jelly and jam. Muscadine flavor is better with low sugar recipes.
Ordered 2 replacement gas caps that we needed, they arrived and we will refill 5 gas containers and keep the rotation going.
Our little chicks are now almost grown. We anticipate getting eggs in another month or so.
Garden almost cleared out. Pulled, cleaned and fastened all the tomato cages for storage. We have so many that it gets a little crazy to put into storage. We will work the soil a bit and plant a few fall/winter crops.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Anna » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I've spent a lot on preps this month and plan to buy a few more items before the month is over. First two pairs of shoes. I have a hard to fit size and have to have shoes special ordered so I ordered two pairs which cost over $230. I don't think I've ever had two new pairs of shoes at the same time in my entire life, but shoes are an essential prep especially when you know you can't buy them in a local store.

Monday I did a major stock up on OTC meds, supplements, vitamins, etc. which should be enough for 12 to 15 months. I'm going to do a new inventory to make sure I have everything covered. That is the area that still needs additional items.

The garden due to drought hasn't been producing much. I've kept tomatoes and peppers watered and tomatoes are starting to ripen. The green beans I've kept alive hoping for rains so they will produce. We had a little shower last week and the beans bloomed. They need to be picked, but it rained yesterday and is currently raining. The rain is truly a blessing even though not enough to make a dent in the drought. I should be able to can 9 pints of beans and 5 pints of tomatoes by the end of this week.

Since the first of the year I've been sewing clothing to regain my formerly good seamstress skills. I have a decent stash of fabrics that I'm trying to use although I'm always looking at sale fabrics to add to my stash. The fact is, I do not need clothing because I shop at thrift stores, but I feel I do need to revive my skill set. Thrift stores and close out sales in clothing stores cost less than fabric for sewing. I have a good and varied stock of basic patterns and pick up thread on sale and watch at thrift shops for zippers, bias tape and other findings. Yesterday I finished the squares needed for a quilt top.

Finally, I got my tetanus booster and have scheduled my annual physical.
Anna

Postby IceFire » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 pm

My "she shed" was delivered on Monday. I've started laying the floor as time allows between work and rehearsals. Hope to get it finished sometime this weekend, then can start with insulating and putting up wall board, and getting it wired for lights and outlets. Husband wants to add on to the loft area (with a pull-down "attic"-type ladder) and wall with sliding door in the back where the closet will be.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Genevieve » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:07 am

Local grocery is having a 10 for $10 and a BOGO sale this week. So I'll be stocking up on canned soups that don't need water added, 24pks of bottled water,frozen shrimp,whole grain pastas, canned chilis, canned broths and some 6oz ice cream sundaes ( for a treat)
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Kind of prepping, but maybe not. We have a truck and car, also an old 98 3/4 ton Dodge Ram, we are going to give it
to son as it has a snow plow and upstate NY he likely can use it. Also got them a new Terrain, good incentives off now.
They are moving to the states from S Korea and everything has to be bought again. Vehicles do not pass emissions so
selling their car, truck, and motorcycle. All appliances are 220 so a problem there, have to buy a house and likely some
furniture though the gov is shipping most of it. Still they have a pot load of money to have to spend and son has never
asked us for anything. He has a good job but still that's a lot to have to spend all at once. Hubby and I figure
might as well help, we have never done so and might as well help them, as give it all to nursing homes one day.
Been thinking of it for awhile, neither my car 2013 Cadillac SRX or hubbys 2006 Lincoln Mark have 4 wheel drive. In winter
if a lot of snow we are kind of stranded. So I found a beauty of a 2017 blue Silverado 4 X 4 for us, I like a truck anyway,
more useful and it will ride 6. Probably not comfortably for a long distance but around. There are 3 of them and 3 of
us so will be quite useful, my smaller car gets tight with 5. Also you never know when 2 trucks could be very worthwhile,
we could pull trailers and carry loads too.

Not what we planned to do, but oh well, we will help our own, can always tighten the belt somewhere when we need to.
So far life is good.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Cin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:38 pm

We're back home now. My Dad had a heart incident and so we felt it best we were home for now. We didn't finish everything with the kid, but we'll probably go back for a week or so in the future, if needed.

Kid had 2 copies of the same book, so she gave me one - The Gift Of Fear by Gavin De Becker. Interesting read about how to develop and use your gut feelings/instinct/intuition to assess other people.

Grocery store and yard sales today.

No yard sale finds this time around.

Groceries:

Small light bulbs
Dog food
Cat food

Husband ordered some FD meats - the box came in and is stored away in the LTS.
Cin

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 pm

The heat has been brutal this week - triple digit heat index :'(
Despite that I've been sweating my butt off picking and processing muscadine grapes!
(5) half pints of jelly, (5) half pints of jam & (4) quarts of juice blend
I think there's enough to probably do 2 more batches of jam. The scuppernong variety we have isn't ripe yet.
Today was errand day. We filled (6) containers with gas. Discovered some small leaks in the seams so we ordered metal cans to replace these plastic ones. This will complete the conversion to all metal gas cans for us. All the plastic ones leaked, eventually.
At Tractor Supply they're changing brands of meal worms so all the bags were clearance- not much but it ranged from .50-$2 depending on the size. The manager heard me tell hubs the large bags were $2 off making them $22.99. He said if you buy them all I'll give you 50% off - hubs said "SOLD!". So 6 of the large bags for $68. We ordered online once and it was over $100, so we thought that was good. I'll put all the bags in a storage bin with a gasket up in the top of my walk in pantry - great LTS for chicken treats.
I'm sure most people don't call this a prep BUT I bought a lottery ticket- that darn power ball is up to $400+Million....so if I disappear, you know what happened! :clap:

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby dmwalsh568 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Put 70 lbs of rice into gallon Mylar bags, then sealed into three buckets with 2 pounds of salt and two spam cans each. Just received some #10 cans of turkey tetrazzini and FD beef cubes. Also got a bunch of small cans of FD sliced cherries - opened one up to test and both the wife and I enjoyed them - makes a nice snack as is, no rehydration needed. Will try rehydrating and cooking with them later.
Organized basement to make room for more stuff later if news reports on hot spots makes me too nervous.
dmwalsh568

Postby ajax727 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 pm

Added 100 lb sugar , four cans of coffee two large jugs of creamer , 4 boxes of tea , 1 case of canned peaches , 1 case of canned pears ,one case of chicken noodle soup 1 case of beef stew 1 case of clam chowder I case of tuna 1 case salmon . 4 boxes of crackers , eight cans sweet milk , four bags self rising flour 2 bags of whole wheat bread flour 10 lb pinto beans , 10 lb black eye peas . Stored and put away , moved stock from storage to pantry .Went over budget again but it might be needed later with how the world is turning . Last week it was ammo and I went over the budget but I did hit 500.00 bucks on a 5 buck scratch off card so it off set the bottom line .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 am

Way to go Ajax! That's a lot accomplished! And congrats on the scratch off - I never have any luck with those. The powerball has rolled to $650M which is amazing.

Made (6) half pints of muscadine jam yesterday afternoon. The most important thing about that was not so much the jam itself but helping a young woman (23) learn to can. She's not so much a prepper but wanting to become self sufficient as far as food is concerned - which is a great goal to have at that age. Should we have a SHTF event, her family will be part of our community and I know that she's canned and froze garden bounty.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion