• Advertisement

August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:12 am

I think we will get some peaches and apples this week, the ones I have are small, going to go buy some nice
big ones to can and dry. I froze apples before and don't like them.

Watermelons and cantaloupes will be done here soon.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby NJMike » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Been picking the peppers and tomatoes. It's been a very good yield in the container garden, and perhaps even better than when I had plants in the ground. Hmm...going to chalk that up to fresh "organic" soil and more frequent watering. :lol:

Picked up a few items for the mountain bike like a small pump/repair kit and rear tire rack.

Found a 2nd hand lockable truck box at a low price of $75. I thought that was a good deal and I can now place more items in the truck without them getting in the way.

In the medical arena, I've added more supplies and began learning about starting an IV.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Read David Crawfords book "Collision Course" and started to read "The Slow Apocalypse".
Purchased some old quality tools from an estate sale:
A craftsman manual tree pruner has both a saw and clipper cutting end.
Metal coal shovel
Sledge hammer
Garden fork
3 bow saws
A large Have-a-Heart live trap
2 wine boxes full of nails, screws, tacks and other misc. hardware
2 metal boxes with hasp for lock (for storage) one full of misc hardware

Sold 3 small metal gun safes that I didn't need anymore, so I gained "space"!! Priceless!!
3ADScout

Postby IceFire » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Been a rough couple of weeks, and why I've been a bit scarce on here lately. First, electrical issue with the "canning kitchen"...currently have it "patched" and running at 1/2 power until the electrician can trench 354 feet, run new conduit/cable, and re-do the electric box. At least it's enough to keep the freezers running. Next, the refrigerator is down. The freezer portion is working fine, but the sensor for the fridge part was defective, and caused the fan motor to stop working. Parts are backordered. In the meantime, we bought a mini fridge for bare necessities, and it will go into the "she shed" after the fridge is fixed.

Last Friday, put in my two weeks notice at work. Got "head-hunted" for a position with another company, and I'm taking it. Slight pay increase, and I get out of a toxic work environment. That evening, our 17-year-old cocker/dachshund mix died. Took her to the vet Sat. AM for cremation. Picked up her ashes this afternoon

This week, we've had not one, but TWO close calls with rattlesnakes and dogs/me. Took the dogs in today for their first rattlesnake vaccines. Boosters in a month. They would still need to be treated with antivenin if bitten, but this will help lessen tissue damage, pain, etc. and give them more of a fighting chance.

Since Gulf Coast refineries are shutting down for who knows how long due to Harvey, made sure that all vehicles are gassed up, and took the gas cans and filled them up as well, BEFORE the prices go up.

Supposed to talk to a lady tomorrow about some cattle. She is selling some, and they are the specific breed that I was looking for, so hopefully will be adding a few to the homestead menagerie.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Well, Husband ended up in the hospital this week. Probably had a TIA mini-stroke, although no evidence if it was found via CAT scan, MRI and MRA. 2 stress tests, and chest X-ray were absolutely normal, too. So who knows? husband is perfectly fine now, and mowed the acreage today.

No preps were done during the last 4 weeks.

I did clean part of the kitchen, got some baking stuff into mason jars, and rearranged some cabinets. Also cleaned out the fridge and freezer, found all kinds of goodies that went into the compost heap.

I did make 3 quarts of chicken stock for future meals.
Cin

Postby idahobeef » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:12 am

Bought several boxes of lovely PEACHES, cutting up and freezing them shortly. Tried some new Pace ready-to-eat items, they were nice but $2 each, double that of a can or ravilolis. They were mighty tasty however, and ravs can be bland after eating them for awhile. http://www.pacefoods.com/Product/Products/Ready-Meals
idahobeef

Postby Genevieve » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 am

finishing up on the drying of my herbs. will start to repot most of them to bring in for the winter to use fresh.
topped off the vehicles before the price goes up and filled 3 cans that were empty
most of the garden is finished so will be pulling plants.
since its been cooling off ( lovely 70's in the daytime) I planted a window box of radishes
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Canned a bushel of tomato's this week end and did a right fine job of over cooking 18 pints of cream corn in the canner. I run out of brains or i'm just not going to age well I don't know which but the chickens will enjoy the corn...

Lessons learned
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Just ordered 3 more Lifestraws off Amazon. They're on sale for $14.99. Each car will now have one in the glovebox.

Harvested a handful of tomatoes - we're not getting much although the plants are healthy. Also got a handful of jalepenos.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Have insulation up on the walls (back and part of each side) in the "she shed". Have to wait to do more until after the electrician comes to do the wiring for outlets and lights, then I can finish. After that, it's putting up drywall, mudding/painting, (can actually do the very back part for that) then putting in the closet system and getting things moved in.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to General Preparedness Discussion