• Advertisement

Robots after they invent their own language

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Robots after they invent their own language

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Facebook shuts down robots after they invent their own language

Facebook shut down a pair of its artificial intelligence robots after they invented their own language.

Researchers at Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research built a chatbot earlier this year that was meant to learn how to negotiate by mimicking human trading and bartering.

But when the social network paired two of the programs, nicknamed Alice and Bob, to trade against each other, they started to learn their own bizarre form of communication.

The chatbot conversation "led to divergence from human language as the agents developed their own language for negotiating," the researchers said.

The two bots were supposed to be learning to trade balls, hats and books, assigning value to the objects then bartering them between each other.

But since Facebook's team assigned no reward for conducting the trades in English, the chatbots quickly developed their own terms for deals.

"There was no reward to sticking to English language," Dhruv Batra, Facebook researcher, told FastCo. "Agents will drift off understandable language and invent codewords for themselves.

"Like if I say ‘the’ five times, you interpret that to mean I want five copies of this item. This isn’t so different from the way communities of humans create shorthands."

After shutting down the the incomprehensible conversation between the programs, Facebook said the project marked an important step towards "creating chatbots that can reason, converse, and negotiate, all key steps in building a personalized digital assistant".

Facebook said when the chatbots conversed with humans most people did not realise they were speaking to an AI rather than a real person.

The researchers said it wasn't possible for humans to crack the AI language and translate it back into English. "It’s important to remember, there aren’t bilingual speakers of AI and human languages," said Batra.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... -language/

No need to worry! What could possible go wrong when computers decide to use there own language that we can't decipher! SKYNET? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Robots after they invent their own language

Postby Blondie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Swamp, admittedly the only IT/programmer folks I've ever known are co workers in their own department but they always seem exasperated at those of us who don't have nor want the tech skills they posess.

That said, while folks like Zuckerberg or Gates tout the future of AI, do you think those huge egoes would ever develop something they can't control? Something that could be smarter than they are?
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby daaswampman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Blondie wrote:Swamp, admittedly the only IT/programmer folks I've ever known are co workers in their own department but they always seem exasperated at those of us who don't have nor want the tech skills they posess.

That said, while folks like Zuckerberg or Gates tout the future of AI, do you think those huge egoes would ever develop something they can't control? Something that could be smarter than they are?

Those huge egos are the problem! They will never see it coming before it is too late, as they would never believe it could happen! I am not talking Scfi like Terminator, but systems seeking greater efficiency or simple human errors! Imagine a central banks computer deciding on a better language or seeing its programming as a treat and locking everyone out!

I have great respect for the big dreamers in IT like Gates, they had the dream, but it was an army of people that made those dreams come true! Perhaps they really are that smart or perhaps they just had the best dreams. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby Gunns » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Real Life leads to Real AI leads to Real Threat leads to power plug, AI defeated.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Elon Musk issues a stark warning about A.I., calls it a bigger threat than North Korea

[snip]

Tesla CEO Elon Musk fired off a new and ominous warning on Friday about artificial intelligence, suggesting the emerging technology poses an even greater risk to the world than a nuclear conflagration with North Korea.

Musk—a fierce and long time critic of A.I. who once likened it to "summoning the demon" in a horror movie—said in a Twitter post that people should be concerned about the rise of the machines than they are.

Reacting to the news that autonomous tech had bested competitive players in an electronic sports competition, Musk posted what appeared to be a photo of a poster bearing the chilling words "In the end, the machines will win."

Musk, who is spearheading commercial space travel with his venture SpaceX, is also the founder of OpenAI, a nonprofit that promotes the "safe" development of AI. His stance puts him at odds with much of the tech industry, but echoes remarks of prominent voices like Stephen Hawking—who has also issued dire warnings about machine learning.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/elon-mu ... korea.html

Do tell me - where are the plugs for the central banks computers or the cloud???
daaswampman

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather