• Advertisement

Evac Vehicle

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Evac Vehicle

Postby Cadit » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Greetings All:

I was talking to a friend the other who happens to be a prepper too, but one of those who tries to copy the Jones" if you know what I mean. I have an old 01 GMC Jimmy I've been modifying from time to time. Great little SUV but only two wheel drive. A rack on top, brush guards all terrain tires, hitch for a trailer of one of those little racks you put on the hitch. You know, nothing to move the house, just to get me and the wife away if need be. Small enough to cut through the woods if need be also.

But my friend went our and got him one of those jeeps that are raised, big tires, no rack, but the big LED lights across the top of his windshield. A two door, not much room to carry anything, no hitch, no brush guards, but does have the cut away fenders and all. I asked him what he was planning on carrying if he had to bug out. He said that he can remove the back seats and stow gear in there. I said but it's a rag top, anyone can cut into it and get you stuff, he got mad and said he has an alarm in my jeep. Now I must admit, I like the jeep, just not the way he has it set up. He has a nice communications rig in it I like too. But I like my Jimmy better. Plus he has a lot of gear and food stores. He says he has a BOL, and its stocked. Didn't press here any, But: he is suppose to be my team mate, I think I need to look around a bit.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Evac Vehicle

Postby NJMike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm inferring that what you're saying is- If someone is planning to have a vehicle for a specific function, then it's best to plan and purchase around that. I'd agree.

I'd guess your friend's purpose for the vehicle, based on description only, is perhaps as much recreation/fun as evac minded. That jeep still sounds more suitable for evac than some of the street cars with spoilers I see in my area. Those can barely navigate a speed hump and create a traffic jam when there's local storm flooding, because they are just too low to the ground to deal with a foot of water.

I'll be in the market for a new vehicle soon. My requirements are another crew cab pickup like I currently have, one that can seat 6 plus gear in the bed, or with less people then more gear. It's 4x4 and has a ball hitch. For my next purchase, no snorkel kit or anything fancy for extreme off-roading. I would like to add a CB and/or HAM rig, maybe a roof rack basket, a winch kit and a bike rack*.

*An evac vehicle can be a bicycle and the pack on your back if need be. Without a bike, if the way out is impassable to a car or truck, it's two feet and a need for comfortable footwear.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:30 pm

For my needs, four wheel drive is the only way to go and I have jeeps. Mine are hardtops, but all that would do is slow someone down. In SHTF, windows ain't going to stop anyone and you would never leave a vehicle unattended!

You can boost most cars in a matter of seconds and it is a skill worth knowing! Knowing how to do something is the best way to prevent it! As for your "team mate", you don't know him nearly well enough to depend on him. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 pm

This may be old school but I thought all rag top Jeeps could also be fitted for a hard top, that they were interchangeable? I don't think they have a big tow capacity. Besides, if you got nothing to tow, why worry?

Buy what suits your needs. If you have a BOL that's well stocked you shouldn't need to haul a wharehouse behind you. Consider if you need more seat room for people or more cargo to haul.

I have 4WD but it's a must up here. I also wanted something I could sleep in if the need arises. Comes from being asked to leave many a great relationship at 1am. :p
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:02 am

your "evac vehicle" - BOV - is whatever gets the job done for YOU ....

just might be a small compact vehicle with super mileage and just enough room for your BOBs .... your plan is to get to your fully prepped BOL as ASAP - down paved roads including 70mph interstates - without needing to depend on refuel stops - your lifestyle had to compromise between your job(s) around the metro area and being hundreds of miles away during a SHTF ....

there is no perfect BOV - one doesn't fit all
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cadit » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for all the input; and I agree with most of it, as for the evac vehicle, that's a personal choice of need at hand, this too I agree with, I had the 4x4 and wished I had not listened to the wife back when we got the Jimmy, but still; common sense can get you a long way. My next item is a wench on the front. Been putting it off to get other things. I do have my eye on and older 4x4 Jimmy, and it wouldn't take much to dress it up. Good running shape. I wish I had never gotten rid of my Toyota 4x4, loved that thing.

AS for my bud, he's a great guy and former Army vet, trust worthy. Saved my can on many occasions, so while he acts a little scattered in his preps, he is solid as any as for having ones back. He was like that in service also, but made up for the lack in other ways. The only thing now is if he would be a greater burden in a Grid Down event at the start, because later on he would be worth his weight in gold as far as a group goes. My dilemma is do I carry him in the beginning as before for the benefit later, for he is a rubber meets the road type guy, and address issues on the cuff. We go back a ways and he's like a brother, I know I sound like not a true friend, but I have family and he doesn't, he was married once, but that ended. And don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, just don't have his head in the right place if you know what I mean. Thinking back, he may have got like this after the dear john he got. Any way, I have to figure if the short comings now are worth the benefit later. I can over look the lack of prepping in areas, but not if it's going to greatly effect my chances. Hope you understand and see what I'm struggling with. So I ask; when does friendship/Brotherhood negate Survival, or does it?
Cadit
Cadit

Postby NJMike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Cadit wrote:So I ask; when does friendship/Brotherhood negate Survival, or does it?

You are best served asking that in your own heart. However, I hope your buddy doesn't read this forum!

My general opinion is people will have good and bad days. I only wouldn't want someone around who is a net negative. Example negatives to outweigh positives would include being a total mooch, disrupting the group dynamic, immediately causing a direct threat to a group member's life via their actions, or one who dangerously violates opsec for a group. Your buddy doesn't sound like that to me.

My thoughts on working with any that are short term unprepared, but long term assets would be to carry them in the short term if it's feasible. There's no guarantee that anyone prepared won't have to deal with Murphy at some point themselves and then need a hand too. If these are good people they'll remember what was done for them and ideally reciprocate in turn.
NJMike

Postby Cadit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 am

I agree with what you say in general, my friend and I go back many a year, shared hides and patched each other up when needed. So in that aspect, you couldn't find a better comrade. And as far as him reading this, a very long shot. He is so anti-social media. Very backwoods type, he doesn't make friends that well and suspicious of everyone. Not to say he paranoid, just untrusting.

Of lately; with the jeep and things, buying and not into the reality of survival, but the glamor of look at what I have. Over the past ten of so years, he has gone this way and I don't understand what's going on with him. He's the last of my men and he blows off any attempt I try to make about his life style change. I know where he came from but can't see where he's headed. He doesn't act like his old normal self. Randle; who is no longer with us, said he was just through the mid-life crisis. If so; I hope he finds his way back.

He always was a little flamboyant, but anchored if you know what I mean. No better tracker in the world and could knock the wings off a fly at a thousand yards. excellent survival skills and could bring home the bacon. But after the wife thing, not balanced, off the reservation so to speak. At present, he could hold his own and carry his own weight, but may disappear all of a sudden and not see or hear from him for months on end. No drinker, at least I haven't seen it. But it's like he's a lost soul searching for that anchor.

Hope this in some way helps you to understand, he's my brother in arms, but don't know how to bring him back into the fold. I had always thought; me and him against the world, but now; I'm uncertain. He or I have lost our way, and not on the same mission. As each one of my guys have left the fight and moved on the a higher plan, a little piece of me goes missing. But as they say; life goes on and we must try to meet it head on.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby handyman777 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 am

Evac or BOV - a jeep is the way to go, older the better, easy to fix and you don't need a lot of spare parts.

Have a CJ in (piece's) that I just can't part with, 258 in line 6, carburetor, points distributor, mechanical fuel pump, drop the fuel line in a gas can and it should start right up. (this would be a good motor for a gennie, maybe) I lost the motivation on that project for now.

The YJ, that I got rid of was on big mudder's, had a nail in the tire (flat) and the vechile is so lite that I was able to drive "baby" it home 20 miles and didn't really notice it. Just saying a nice lite vehicle that can go or float through just about anything.

:offtopic: YJ's are called wranglers and any jeep with ::square head lights:: are called WRONGLERS. my opinion.

For now my cherokee is my every day driver and parts are available. I can pull up to any intersection and see 2 to 5 jeeps there at any time --spare parts !!!

My main BOV stays parked in the garage (its not a jeep) and can go through just about anything. (some day maybe I'll talk about that one).

As far as moving supplies,( and remember, don't put all your eggs in one basket ) I would consider a small camp trailer something modified from an old military trailer or even one of those small "harbour freight" trailers . you can do a lot to them but they do need to be beefed up a bit, and go with a pintle hitch, its easier to go through ditches and over hills and not worry about your trailer coming off the ball.

As for your buddy - good, true friends are hard to come by don't give up. Maybe you should try and help him find a new girl - soul mate - partner in crime :D
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Return to A.N.T.S.