• Advertisement

NK- Tuning In, and Situational Awareness

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

NK- Tuning In, and Situational Awareness

Postby NJMike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 am

Curious as to how other folks are getting their real time information given the brink of war that we may find ourselves with North Korea?

In terms of situational awareness, I was impressed upon by a prior prepper group lecture on the topic. A key point was having the radio on, rather than music streaming or playing a CD, such as when traveling in your car. If there's an announcement of any disaster, you lose precious minutes not being aware by being tuned out to radio broadcasted warnings. You might be driving into danger instead of away from it.

Other than keeping the radio on, I'm curious to how people get their news outside of TV. I do look at Fox, CNN, BBC, and the AP websites. Any good news websites out there worth sharing?

What other means are people using to stay aware?
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Re: NK- Tuning In, and Situational Awareness

Postby stonyman002 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 am

I listen to the radio in my truck most of the time. and always have a radio playing in my work shop. the only time a CD makes it to my truck is within 30 days of an election, Because all the political ad's get on my nerves.
stonyman002

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 am

I watch/listen to the 'regular' sources, like you mentioned above. While traveling ... and we have been a LOT, lately, because our son is currently out-of-state for most of this year, I ALWAYS have my phone, Ipad & laptop with me. If flying, phone & Ipad are where I can keep track of news and usually use the wait-time to skim headlines, prep sites, etc.

My phone is set to send me alerts from our South Central Penna Emergency Task Force, so hoping that an alert would come from them.

I also have some contacts that are in various forms of government, military & emergency services. I'm counting on someone from that group calling or texting me to let give me a heads up. So ... if anyone from APN is 'connected' please PM me or email me, if you get significant info!

Maybe we can have an 'Emergency Alert' thread that is set up just for this purpose. NO posts on that thread, unless it's a SIGNIFICANT NATIONAL Emergency Warning for members of APN??
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 am

I leave the radio tuned to WBZ 1030 AM here in the northeast in times like these.

I'm just afraid that the first we'll hear of a live war with NK will be when an EMP satellite goes off and everything goes dark. :crazy:
dmwalsh568

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:
I'm just afraid that the first we'll hear of a live war with NK will be when an EMP satellite goes off and everything goes dark. :crazy:

I've been thinking about THAT as well! From what I remember, an EMP strike is low enough that we do NOT have the resources to stop it.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby farmer_dude48 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am

RM I think the Emergency Alert thread is a great idea for the folks here on the APN
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:16 pm

http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/phpBB3/

one of open - non member sites that isn't bad for what it is ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby SurvivIt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Being a Sheriff's Deputy I can't stay at home... gotta be at work. The good thing is that I wear my hiking boots at work, and can walk home if need be (EMP or some other crazy event) as it is only about a dozen miles. My BOB is actually just a Get My Butt Home bag, biggest content is a full 100 oz. water bladder, a wind-up survival radio (am / fm / uhf) and a change of socks.

What I actively do these days to monitor the situation is tapping into the ex-military network I'm a member of, in addition to keeping my work radio turned on.
SurvivIt

Postby NJMike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks for the replies.

ReadyMom wrote:My phone is set to send me alerts from our South Central Penna Emergency Task Force, so hoping that an alert would come from them.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I'm signed up for Nixle alerts locally.
http://www.nixle.com/

Also, I've been subscribed to DoD news briefings since 2009, but recently changed emails. Here's the link to setup an account to receive announcements and you can sign up through this portal for news from many other governmental agencies (FEMA and others)
https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts ... =true#tab1

I get those on my phone, so it's as real time as radio for some items. It's also more detail than the evening news.
NJMike

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

I always listen to AM radio as long as im in my truck. The car dont receive this signal here in the boonies so good. At home I dont have tv and I dont listen to anything really. Ill most definitely be keeping my ear to the ground more with all the stuff being ramped up. Hope it all passes but im not sure the oompah loompah in NK is wanting to back down. Even if he gets his country obliterated in the process he would be overly joyed to get one missle to hit us here or one of our bases and allies overseas i think
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:55 pm

NJMike wrote:Thanks for the replies.

ReadyMom wrote:My phone is set to send me alerts from our South Central Penna Emergency Task Force, so hoping that an alert would come from them.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I'm signed up for Nixle alerts locally.
http://www.nixle.com/

Also, I've been subscribed to DoD news briefings since 2009, but recently changed emails. Here's the link to setup an account to receive announcements and you can sign up through this portal for news from many other governmental agencies (FEMA and others)
https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts ... =true#tab1

I get those on my phone, so it's as real time as radio for some items. It's also more detail than the evening news.
I wonder how good those systems are. I am signed up to "Code Red" here in Texas, but I already know that for a tornado, it will let me know one passed by a while ago. I signed up, and stay signed up, for alerts on our water delivery system, which is very vulnerable. To Everything. All I need from them is notice within an hour or two, and they provide that. Usually :rofl:
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters