• Advertisement

The Fun Stuff

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

The Fun Stuff

Postby Cadit » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:58 pm

OK: we got all the guns, cooking utensils, shelter stuff, food, water, all the those little goodies! But what do you have or planed for the relaxation and fun to rejuvenate ones self and your group, pod, family. To help elevate the stress of day to day life in a changed environment, There must be a means or way to unwind as one might say, to keep from going over the edge.

Let us hear some comments, share your ideas, it may help another who hasn't do so.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: The Fun Stuff

Postby Blondie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Snipe Hunt

:evil:
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby IceFire » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Oddly enough, I find gardening, working with the animals, fishing, hunting, and sewing/quilting and baking (ALL activities that will be necessary to keep us fed and clothed) to be relaxing and enjoyable.

Other, NON-essential activities I find fun to do are reading, jigsaw puzzles, music, and art, and I have the supplies for all of them.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Depending on ages of who gets here - books, board games, dice games, card games or singing and storytelling. And a well hidden supply of comfort foods including chocolate, hard candies and popcorn for occasions that need something extra special.
dmwalsh568

Postby MrDanB » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm with IceFire on this one! Gardening, tinkering in garage, DIY projects, roasting coffee at home etc. These are more like fun than work, since I can see the rewards I put into it.
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm

adding plenty of DVDs to the movie collection - if the grid stays up and the cable/internet are down - watching a movie would be a good alternative for single person entertainment - overall low impact for seclusion situations - total family entertainment under the correct conditions ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby NJMike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 pm

I've got more books than I've had time to read. Many recipes I've never cooked. Many ideas on things I've never had time to build. I've also got a number of games to play when interacting with others. No worries if I had the downtime. Lots to keep me occupied.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:57 pm

It is strange but the Early English settlers claimed that the American Indian were lazy do nothing people. Still, they thrived and survived in a non-English society.
The foraged, hunted and fished at their leisure in stead of laboring in the fields. Who was wrong and who was right. Take the leisure time to go camping/ fishing/ hunting and practice your survival skills. Oh yeah, have some fun. :)
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby founderant » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:58 am

A lot of parents and kids will find pleasure in reconnecting to each other after they are forced to leave their online lives behind.

There was a reality show years ago that had several groups of people live on the prairie for 6 months, homesteading like they did back in the day. Near the end one kid was asked what he would miss most when the show was over and they went back home. His answer, "spending time with my dad."
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Postby bacpacker1513 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:58 pm

I saw that series. it was pretty good over all. But that part stuck with me to.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby MsMossRose » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm

I find activities such as gardening, canning, cooking relaxing but for the "rainy day" when the family just wants to lounge in PJ's and spend time together we have few things put back that has added up over the years.

Skip-bo, Uno, Domino/Triomino, Jenga, Yatzee, Wahoo, Scrabble, Playing cards with a how-to book for different games, Puzzles, an assortment of board games from Candy land to Pandemic... An ever growing craft box ( I am a pinterest-aholic) that has tons of I don't even remember what in it with coloring books/printer paper and coloring pens/pencils/markers/crayons. We even have my old Gameboy black and white and Gameboy color with games from way back when and they STILL work just as good as they ever did. We have a set of portable dvd screens (the kind you put on the back of your cars head rest so the kids can watch a movie on long trips) that can also be plugged into a wall socket for power. Every once in a while we go to our local pawn shop and pick up movies for $1 or less each to add to the collection.

Since space is a major concern right now we don't have hard copies of books for leisure reading, but I would like to expand to a little library for if/when we wont have access to kindle.
MsMossRose

Postby ajax727 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 pm

I have been picking up books people have thrown away at the local trash collection sight they are stored there in a build and free for the tacking . All hard copies most in new to great shape if they are trash I don't get them . So far I have filled up a 30 gallon barrel with them it is a mix from drama , westerns , history English and so on and so on . A good mix from a to z .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Cadit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:08 am

Thank you for all your post, I didn't ever see that show but wished I had. And I think you are right in stating a growing closer together. I hope that I could get my kids together in one place, but with them in CA., TX. and VA. I don't see that happening if our world happened to turn upside down. But hope is what brings progress. Creating an outlet for stress is a big thing in almost any scenario. I too have planned, but I have to take into account that my better half has other interest that I need to address and provide for. Now If I too had my kids and grandkids around me, then that would be a whole different set of circumstances. I feel for those who have a large family, the joy and the sorrow that can come to all at anytime. In a family of 2 or 12, its still better than going it alone.

But as one stated: I love books too, and read a lot. I love old board games also, and have a good selection of them. Puzzle Boxes, they are great to keep the mind sharp. I also like to work with wood and whittle a little. Making toys by hand. A lot can be done to help elevate the level of joy in ones camp or home.

Just incase I do get to have my family about me, I have games for the kids, young and older. And I want to do for my family as much as one can, at my age, I know I would not survive for a lot of years, five to ten at the most. So; I would want to make the most of it, with my family. Because; I'm given today, but not promised tomorrow.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby Photon Guy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:18 am

Cadit wrote:OK: we got all the guns, cooking utensils, shelter stuff, food, water, all the those little goodies! But what do you have or planed for the relaxation and fun to rejuvenate ones self and your group, pod, family. To help elevate the stress of day to day life in a changed environment, There must be a means or way to unwind as one might say, to keep from going over the edge.

Let us hear some comments, share your ideas, it may help another who hasn't do so.

You mention guns. Well right there is something that helps to alleviate stress and to keep from going over the edge and to have fun. Firearm drills are terrific to do for recreation as well as serious training and if you don't want to use up ammo and/or make lots of noise there are lots of dry practice drills you can do where you don't use live ammo.

Also martial arts training. Overall martial arts training is very grueling and demanding especially if you're very serious about it as I am but it can also be done in ways that are much less grueling, particularly arts such as tai chi. Also weapons training in martial arts is really fun and that can be lots of fun and not to grueling. So its good to keep some martial arts weapons and to take classes on their use. They can also be used for defense if necessary, something as simple as a stick can suffice.

Some people like to keep boardgames. As for me, I like to play chess so that's another thing to keep from going over the edge and to have fun with.
Photon Guy

Postby Photon Guy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:22 am

IceFire wrote:Other, NON-essential activities I find fun to do are reading, jigsaw puzzles, music, and art, and I have the supplies for all of them.

You like music and art. Well, music is a type of art. So when you mention art apart from music that must mean other types of art.
Photon Guy

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.