• Advertisement

Benefits of Vinegar???

Our Panel of Medical Experts answers questions concerning disaster, pandemic and wilderness medicine

Moderators: TheSurvivalDoctor, littledoc, DrBones

Benefits of Vinegar???

Postby whitebear54 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:18 am

I've been reading how sipping some apple cider vinegar can help me cut down my belly fat and also help lower my A1C--I'm trying to do something to get off some of the meds I'm on for my type II diabetes. Any truth to it?
Visit my author website at www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
"Distrust of government is at the very core of what it means to be an American."
"Growing your own food is like printing your own money."
"If you aren't preparing to live you're preparing to die."
"While doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is only for fools and zealots."
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Re: Benefits of Vinegar???

Postby Fullmoon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 am

Anytime you can wean yourself off the meds its to your advantage to do it. I take a shot glass of apple cider vinegar mixed with the juice of one lemon, topped off with ice cold water, a 12 ounce glass of this every day will eliminate gout pain in the foot. I don't know if my glucose levels have changed from drinking this but wild swings in the numbers no longer happen. They seem to have stabilized. Most big pharma meds have side effects like "unexplained rapid weight gain" so it defies logic to take these meds as they benefit big pharma and not the patient. Weight gain just causes more problems like high blood pressure so they can sell you more meds which in turn cause more side effects and its a never ending cycle to sell more pills.
Fullmoon

Postby whitebear54 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 am

Fullmoon wrote:Anytime you can wean yourself off the meds its to your advantage to do it. I take a shot glass of apple cider vinegar mixed with the juice of one lemon, topped off with ice cold water, a 12 ounce glass of this every day will eliminate gout pain in the foot. I don't know if my glucose levels have changed from drinking this but wild swings in the numbers no longer happen. They seem to have stabilized. Most big pharma meds have side effects like "unexplained rapid weight gain" so it defies logic to take these meds as they benefit big pharma and not the patient. Weight gain just causes more problems like high blood pressure so they can sell you more meds which in turn cause more side effects and its a never ending cycle to sell more pills.

Thank you. I agree about the side effects. Seems like once I got started on the meds I could not lose weight. Also as time has gone on I need more and more meds to keep the A1C under control. It's expensive and it stinks to have to carry a pharmacy with me any time I travel. I'll try the shot glass Idea and forward it to a friend who suffers from gout.
"Distrust of government is at the very core of what it means to be an American."
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 am

Vinegar does have a lot of benefits, but for gout, maybe for some people.

I try not to eat anything with vinegar in it, 'cause, it gives me the gout. :?
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby angie_nrs » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:58 pm

I've taken ACV tablets in the past to keep mosquitos from biting. I'm not very consistent with taking pills so I'm not sure how well that really works. I do have ACV tabs in my med pantry though.

However, for weight loss and to lower your A1C, you might want to consider intermittent fasting. I have been doing this (5:2 method) for the last month and have been having some great results (noticeable reduction in belly fat) and it's really not as difficult as I thought it would be. Do your own research. There's lots of books on Amazon about it with lots of interesting comments by folks who have done it. Just a thought if you want to get off meds and lose weight.....
angie_nrs

Postby arkieready » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:17 pm

I can't speak to diebetes or weight loss, but ACV is the best thing I've found for heart burn. A slug in water. And when I had a morning drink everyday of ACV and honey in warm/hot water, I had much less tummy trouble. I use mrs Bragg's raw ACV and raw, local honey. It kinda tastes like tangy cider. Thanks for the reminder--I need to start back on that.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby anita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:22 pm

I often make AC Vinegar tea. Heat a mug of water, add a tbs. or two (start with less, build to more), a little honey, and top with a shake of cinnamon. It is an acquired taste, but not bad.

DON'T take before bed, or you will be going to the bathroom all night long. It took a while to make the connection. :-)

I also use Mrs. Braggs.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Hubs has been taking a shot of Braggs ACV with a little water every evening. I think he read to do it at night and it doesn't make him get up in the night. His blood work is Monday. His doctor gave him 3 months to get his A1C down or he would have to get on meds. We are trying to avoid the meds with low carb diet, weight loss and ACV.
Fingers crossed that he's made a difference.
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby whitebear54 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:Hubs has been taking a shot of Braggs ACV with a little water every evening. I think he read to do it at night and it doesn't make him get up in the night. His blood work is Monday. His doctor gave him 3 months to get his A1C down or he would have to get on meds. We are trying to avoid the meds with low carb diet, weight loss and ACV.
Mrs FP

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:29 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:Hubs has been taking a shot of Braggs ACV with a little water every evening. I think he read to do it at night and it doesn't make him get up in the night. His blood work is Monday. His doctor gave him 3 months to get his A1C down or he would have to get on meds. We are trying to avoid the meds with low carb diet, weight loss and ACV.
Mrs FP

You might try having him take cinnamon as well. Good for reducing blood sugar.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:47 pm

He does take turmeric, but he's been taking that for about 3 years. It was recommended by a fellow prepper with diabetes. I'll have to read up on the cinnamon. We have a lot stocked for all our oats.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby angie_nrs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:12 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:He does take turmeric, but he's been taking that for about 3 years. It was recommended by a fellow prepper with diabetes. I'll have to read up on the cinnamon. We have a lot stocked for all our oats.

Mrs FP

I heard on Rachael Ray last week that turmeric is only effective if taken along with pepper (black pepper I think). I have no idea whether or not that's true. I do not watch RR or any other talk shows as they typically just drive me batty.....but I just saw this blip as I was walking by and the TV was left on. It was promptly turned off as I passed by. I don't take turmeric so I was not interested, but this thread made me think of it. Just thought this might be helpful to you.
angie_nrs

Postby anita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 pm

I don't think that turmeric is ineffective without black pepper, just less effective (at least that's a theory).

I don't take much health info from Rachel Ray, as her cooking is about the antithesis of healthy. :-)

anita

Postby angie_nrs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 pm

anita wrote:I don't think that turmeric is ineffective without black pepper, just less effective (at least that's a theory).

I don't take much health info from Rachel Ray, as her cooking is about the antithesis of healthy. :-)

You may be correct. I know absolutely nothing about it. It was actually RR's guest that made the statement. I don't know anything about RR, except that I don't really like her much and I have absolutely no idea why. :evil: She is just one of those people that rub me the wrong way....like she's always acting fake or something. I lose absolutely no sleep over it and would never watch the show.

Although, back to the ACV tabs.....for myself, I take it when my gut doesn't feel quite right and it seems to help get me feeling better quicker.
angie_nrs

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Hubs did some research on the cinnamon and thinks he might give it a try.

Blood work results after eating low(er) carb, losing 16 pounds and taking ACV each night for 3 months:

A1C - from 7.8 to 6.4
Glucose -from 180's to 111

He did notice more tummy trouble when he forgot to pack his vinegar last week in combination with eating out off his normal diet at home.
We will continue on our plan and see if it goes down again in 3 months.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Next

Return to Medical Experts