• Advertisement

Store fruitcake

Discuss general food topics here

Store fruitcake

Postby broden » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Researchers Find 100-Year-Old Antarctic Fruitcake in 'Excellent Condition'

http://mentalfloss.com/article/503553/r ... -condition

If you want a snack that really won’t go bad, consider the fruitcake. Conservationists working with artifacts from Cape Adare, Antarctica, just discovered a remarkably well-preserved fruitcake dating back a full century, according to Gizmodo.

follow above link for full article
broden

Re: Store fruitcake

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 pm

I suspect it lasted that long because it was basically in a freezer all that time based on where it was found....

For those if us living outside the artic we need to take more active steps to preserve fruitcake. Decent article about that covers shelf life extension of fruitcake:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/fruitcakesec.htm

That said, I'm not planning on storing fruitcake at all, let alone long term. Store what you eat and all that... :evil:
dmwalsh568

Postby Genevieve » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 am

I saw a recipe for fruit cake that was a century old. It had none of the crap that goes into one now-a-days. It was a basic cake with dried cherries,currants,blueberries and raisins. Then it was drenched in brandy or rum.
I'm thinking the liquor helped preserve it lol

It sounds good though
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:17 am

I'm English. I *LOVE* fruitcake!! My mom would make a fruitcake for every Christmas. And it was the BEST! Moist. Fruity. Full of liquor. Covered in Almond paste and Royal icing. Yummmmm! It would last a long time ... if we didn't eat it all!

When I got married, my mom made me a fruitcake for our wedding cake, at home. Decorated it with the silver beads & wedding ornaments that are traditional, in England. I'm so sad, because she wasn't the kind of mom who encouraged you to help her in the kitchen or teach you how to do things. Everything I know how to do, I've had to teach myself. So ... I never learned how to make that yummy fruitcake. And the tattered, yellowed Bistro cookbook that she brought with her,from England to use for her recipe, has disappeared (I think my SIL has it :( ).

When I went to England, on a trip with our soccer playing son ... one of the first things I bought was a piece of REAL English fruitcake to eat on the way to the hotel. The stuff you get in America that is called 'fruitcake' is awful. Fruitcake has gotten a bad rap here. :-(
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby sageprice » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:35 pm

fresh fruitcake isn't very good until it has been soaked with brandy or rum or both. It should sit for at least three months. Traditionally, fruit cake was made during the Autumn harvest when fruit was plentiful. Aging fruitcake greatly improves it's flavor. Unfortunately most commercial fruitcakes are poorly lacking in flavor and aroma due to their quick to market approach.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby broden » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:38 pm

my Mom would always make fruit cakes around the holidays. my Dad would always take one and store it in liquor for many months and then finally eat it, rationing it out a bit so it would last longer.
broden

Return to General Food Topics