• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Things that make you go hmmmm

Post general California topics here

Things that make you go hmmmm

Postby Rosemead » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 pm

I work in down town Los Angeles. I am a service tech for parking lot equipment. Ticket dispensers, fee computers, change machines and gates.
One of our biggest customers has asked us to fix some slide gates. Not what we do. He states that the slide gate company's have a two month back log, and he wants this gate fix soonest.

This gate has not worked in twenty plus years, and I have to ask my self, what is he seeing, to give him such a sense of urgency.

So the question is: are you seeing a "sense of urgency" in people? Non prepper people, business people? Are there people waking up and not saying anything?
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
Rosemead

Re: Things that make you go hmmmm

Postby daaswampman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:57 pm

The short answer is YES! I have seen the demand for junk silver on a study increase regardless of spot price or market conditions. I recently had three calls for a piece of "Prepper Property" I sold last year! I think people are scared and I think they should be. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Yes, most definitely. Anyone with an active brain stem can sense that something big is coming. All others just go about their business as usual with total disregard for what's happening in our world.
Fullmoon

Postby daaswampman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 pm

I just want to add that this has the potential to cause serious riffs - even within families. I do not tolerate PC- BS from anyone and that includes friends and relatives. It is our blind tolerance, that has brought us to this edge. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby Rosemead » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Had not even considered junk silver. Wife's been doing a little stacking, might be time for inventory and appraisal.

I'm scared. Just rotated stock in my get home bag.

Don't know, just trying to get a handle on things.

Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
Rosemead

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 am

Sure thing. We all can feel it. Some just choose to ignore it completely thinking "What can we do anyways?" and do nothing....

We're preppers. We do things to offset a real issue and are better off for it if/when it happens.

The "Fear Factor" though is a double edged sword..... Fear controls you. Thru inaction or action is the age old fight or flight response.

Where we need to be careful is thinking we're fighting by gathering preps, but in actuality we take it into a flight response and let it dominate our lives....Its unhealthy.

Don't get me wrong. When I first opened my eyes about 15 years ago, OH BOY....My flight instinct had me gathering all sorts of crap and rambling on about every doomsday scenario there was to friends and family. It could have been done in an oh so much more productive way.....lol.

Now though, I have my preps.....As best as can be expected without it consuming my entire life. Can I be better prepped? SURE! Of course...Can you ever not be? That's a question left to each individual to determine.

My biggest and most important prep undone IMHO is getting the hell out of CA.....But it isn't entirely up to me so I let it go for now and focus on what I CAN control.

So at this point, logically, what's to worry about?......It's NOTHING anyone here could control even if they wanted to.

Nuke?...you cant stop it.
Government takeover?....Same.(You could fight back but not stop the attempt)
Earthquake?...Isn't up to you.
Civil unrest/WROL?....again, we'll all just be reacting.
Invasion?...It'll be up to our boys and girls to deter again with our help but it's still reactive.

Trust me...I know don't have this "All figured out" and am not trying to preach a sermon here or anything....I'm just writing down my personal experience on the chance it helps someone else out.

Balance.....Prep smart for your situation where you're at. Get the basics and then relax. We cant control events outside our home even if we wanted to so let it go.

I'm in no way stating be stupid and do nothing. Just approach it without fear if you feel it creep up on you. I have to remind myself when we see current headlines like we are.
There's nothing to do about it but to rotate and grow what you can for peace of mind......And then live. Don't forget to smell the roses so to speak.

Let go of what you cant control or it will dominate you....It did me for about a year.

In the wise words of Pat Morita....

On with the show.......

~D
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Rosemead » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 am

Back in the 80's I was in the National Guard, Disaster Preparedness NCO. In California that is mostly earth quakes. Been living with this for awhile.

No, I can't leave, yet, either.

Every morning I get up, watch the news and wade through the murders and car crashes, to make the decision: "Am I going in today, or is it too dangerous".

My biggest concern is something happening to me and leaving the family to fend for their selves. Yes, I do what I can, with what I have. And pray it will be enough.

And it is good to now that I am not alone. In what I'm seeing.

Rosemead

Postby Blondie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:13 pm

I pay no attention to what my managers say but I carefully watch everything they do. Their actions and their statements rarely align.

For those who say you need to get out, but it's not up to you, who is it up to? If someone else is calling the shots that keeps everyone in a risky situation you need to have a serious discussion.

I stayed put for a long time for "the sake of my kids". Now I'm so far behind of where I need to be it's not funny. You can't buy more time.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 pm

My wife and I are in a pretty good spot about 10 miles outside a small town (less than 6500 people).. My daughter lives 30 miles from us and I cannot get her to even try and prepare for anything. I got her a script for Mother Earth News and she let it run out , We bought her a small freezer and so far its running but its empty. I have tried about a half dz times to get her to come down on her day off and I would teach her to can some things , but so far she is far to busy or just doesn't sound like something she would like to do... Sigh
Sorry for being off topic

farmer_dude slowly thumps his head on the wall :shakeno:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Rosemead » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Blondie wrote:For those who say you need to get out, but it's not up to you, who is it up to? If someone else is calling the shots that keeps everyone in a risky situation you need to have a serious discussion.

I stayed put for a long time for "the sake of my kids". Now I'm so far behind of where I need to be it's not funny. You can't buy more time.

Dad past in 2015, mother-in-law passed last Easter, my mother is currently in a home. I have six female family members, two of the other males have passed, and two are deployed over seas. It is going to be difficult to move everybody. (herding cats comes to mine).

I have been looking at homes, Sheridan Wy, Amarillo TX, and Ft. Smith Ar.

No you can't buy more time.

Rosemead

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Rosemead wrote:
Blondie wrote:For those who say you need to get out, but it's not up to you, who is it up to? If someone else is calling the shots that keeps everyone in a risky situation you need to have a serious discussion.

Dad past in 2015, mother-in-law passed last Easter, my mother is currently in a home. I have six female family members, two of the other males have passed, and two are deployed over seas. It is going to be difficult to move everybody. (herding cats comes to mine).

I have been looking at homes, Sheridan Wy, Amarillo TX, and Ft. Smith Ar.

No you can't buy more time.

Yep....It's not always cut and dry.

I could move immediately of course....I just CHOOSE to not be a piece of poo poo. That's what I meant by not up to me as I dont have that mindset in me. I was looking to go but alternate help didn't arrive.

I'm the only sibling of 4 that hung out to take care of mom....She's 78 and wont even entertain the idea of leaving her house of 57 years we were all raised in and my dad passed in back in '84. Not going to force her. Not going to abandon her.

Not going to happen unless I abandon her, so ya.....It's not up to me. ;)
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby daaswampman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:56 pm

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." - Richard Bach
daaswampman

Postby Blondie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:07 pm

daaswampman wrote:"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." - Richard Bach

Amen.

Not making light of anyone's circumstances. I've been in a corner many times with seemingly no way out.

I had the good fortune to work with a retired Marine who gave me let's say a "pep talk"one day years ago.

He told me "life has handed you a bunch of kwap. You have A but need B". "Your goal in this life is to figure out that challenge and beat the ba$tards at their own game".
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby TimWhite » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:34 pm

I've noticed quite an uptick lately in planned and random attacks, I had let the election lull me in to a false sense of security but have jumped back into my preps full steam. I feel as if things are going to crack relatively soon. :glare:
"We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Pride and arrogance are a lethal combination and have brought about the downfall of many powerful men". Charlie Daniels
TimWhite
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Rosemead wrote:I work in down town Los Angeles. I am a service tech for parking lot equipment. Ticket dispensers, fee computers, change machines and gates.
One of our biggest customers has asked us to fix some slide gates. Not what we do. He states that the slide gate company's have a two month back log, and he wants this gate fix soonest.

This gate has not worked in twenty plus years, and I have to ask my self, what is he seeing, to give him such a sense of urgency.

So the question is: are you seeing a "sense of urgency" in people? Non prepper people, business people? Are there people waking up and not saying anything?

definitely been an upsurge in crime across the board - could be that this parking garage has been hit with vandalism or maybe other crime - the owner is getting grief from the patrons and/or the insurance company ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Next

Return to General California Discussion, News and Weather