• Advertisement

Things that make you go hmmmm

Post general California topics here

Re: Things that make you go hmmmm

Postby anita » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 pm

[quote="PatrioticStabilist"]Remember many of these people may very well have jobs, they aren't making enough to qualify
and pay the exorbitant rentals being charged.

Here where we live we have rentals, right now only 5, plus a bit of farmland rented and we bought
a building the local post office rents. We rent slightly below market, hubby and I need to make a profit but
we are not trying to gouge anyone. We get calls daily looking for places to rent. He is working on 2 more
now and will have one ready in a couple of months. We want to make sure people can live, we have always
done it this way. Make sure they are well insulated, all systems are functioning, generally heating and
cooling systems updated too. We want people to get value for their money. We have loyal renters.
Sure we could make a lot more money, but as hubby says we have enough. That's what burns me about
so many very wealthy, they want it all and more, they do not want to share with the people that make
them wealthy at all. After you have so many millions or billions, what is the point of hoarding more?

Good grief. So people who are wealthy only worry about themselves? I can tell you that, without question, that is patently false. There are many wealthy people who do much to take care of employees, or donate to charities, or whatever. Being poor doesn't make someone a good or honest person. To lump people into "good" or "bad" based on their wealth is absurd.

Husband wants to get 2 more, but I for one am tired and getting old and also even here prices for these
old houses are priced way beyond what we want to pay now so we can keep our rents low. And now because
the state has reduced monies to our counties and towns, local property taxes must be raised and they
have even raised local option taxes so hard for us to hold rents down and make a decent return. People
here are very priced out of the market too, but we don't see homeless around here. They are likely couch
surfing with friends or relatives. It would be hard to do here anyway, especially in cold weather, they
would die even in tents.

No, the county and towns are spending more than they have. The state has also spent more than they have, so they are reining in spending. The towns and counties should also reduce spending rather than depend on taxpayer handouts.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Rosemead » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Just a quick up date:

Turns out this parking garage is used by the Catholic Archdiocese.
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
Rosemead

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Indiana is a balanced budget state, we do not spend beyond what we take in. They made massive cuts to give
the farmers of the state big breaks on cropland, its going to kill all the little towns and school districts. I'm not
sure what is going to happen but its killing this state already and the cuts have just started being phased in.

I understand some of the farmers are even starting to worry as everything around them is going to disappear.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:59 pm

It is a complicated issue, but most people are exactly where they put themselves! As far a wealthy people not doing their share, all the billions that go to charity every year, does not come from the poor or those just making it!

The root of the problem is a society that makes people dependent and excuses bad behavior, rather than making then be responsible for themselves. We see homeless people on a daily bases and most have mental or chemical dependency issues. I am sure there are exceptions, but there is little you can do for people who can't manage their money or who would rather spend it on vices.

Providing cheap housing may help an individual at the moment, but it also compounds the problem. What happens when the cheap ride ends and they have to adjust to the real world? Bear
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Well I'm old enough to remember when people had good paying jobs, a lot of union jobs. We had a healthy middle
class, folks could make enough money to provide for themselves. I don't remember homelessness when I was growing
up.

Now you have folks where 2 are working sometimes multiple jobs and companies don't want full time workers but scale
it down to keep from giving benefits and most of those really good jobs are now a thing of the past. People are hurting,
sure there are a lot with poor financial skills and even if they made a lot of money they would still be poor, but its a lot
more then that. If you want to just blame all the folks that are working and struggling then no point in trying to explain
some of the causes as you don't want to see or hear it.

They are going to keep it up till the masses of people will have no choice but to revolt or starve. That was the main
reason trump got in, it was jobs and folks were hoping he would make it better. Why I don't know, he outsources his
own jobs and hires immigrants. None of them will make it better, its something that will have to be changed at a
deeper level.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby anita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:36 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Well I'm old enough to remember when people had good paying jobs, a lot of union jobs. We had a healthy middle
class, folks could make enough money to provide for themselves. I don't remember homelessness when I was growing
up.

And I remember when people had good-paying union jobs too. When I graduated from college, the pay at my first job was $12k a year--after getting a four year degree. I knew someone who went to the mill straight out of high school and made $15k/year. By the time I was out of college, he had a Corvette, a boat, and who knows what all. The thing was, he never should have been making $15k a year.

My brother and his friend worked summer jobs in the mills while going to college (and they made $3k for the summer, which was pretty good in the late 70s) and they saw the union workers wasting time, being careless etc. I well remember my brother's boss telling him to get lost for the day, because he didn't have any work for him. He still got paid (He wasn't union, but the boss was.) And at the mill where his friend worked, a guy would haul out his grill every day and grill steaks for anyone who wanted them for lunch. They paid him to do so. This went on for a couple of hours every afternoon, while he was being paid to do his job, which he was ignoring (this was at a steel plant.)

So, did these workers make plenty of money? Yeah. Did they squander the company's money such that the company couldn't compete? Yeah. The mills closed, those guys lost their jobs, and those high-paying jobs never came back. Until fracking came along a few years ago, Western PA (where I grew up) was in a depression for nearly 30 years. And it was their own stupid fault for thinking that companies couldn't go overseas, that they couldn't find people to work harder for less.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby farmer_dude48 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:31 am

The only thing I ever saw that the Union did for people is protect the lazy ones and drive up the cost of things. Don't get me wrong I am all for a good wage for a good days work , but a lot of union folks demanded more money for less work.....
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:53 pm

All those good paying union jobs was at the expense of every consumer. The days of high wages for people with minimal shills is over and business seeking cheaper alternatives will only accelerate! Now we will see the same trend in service jobs. Personally I would rather use the self checkout, than put up with a barely literate, disinterested, three hundred pounder at the checkout counter at Walmart.

If you think all those good paying union jobs helped most Americans, then you need to brush up on your history! Swamp
daaswampman

Postby ajax727 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:55 pm

My title was scab - union workers are not worth there pay IMHO . I have also setup a few robots here and there so a few union workers lost their jobs , life is great . I also agree with swamp the great wages was just passed on to the consumer . Look for the union label it will be higher when it reaches your table !
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:45 pm

May be but it helped all people maintain a living wage with benefits, not like now.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Rosemead » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:15 pm

My biggest concern with unions is they are reaching into my pocket and giving my money to Hillary.
Originally Posted by lazyboy97O:
How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?

Originally Posted by steamboatpete:
Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
Rosemead

Postby daaswampman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:43 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:May be but it helped all people maintain a living wage with benefits, not like now.

It did not help all people! It only helped those who belonged to a union! While union membership is down, unions have never represented the majority of American workers! Swamp
daaswampman

Postby ajax727 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:16 pm

It would be nice if I owned a union that way I could have people paying me from their paycheck and I could be rolling in dough and living like a fat rat .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 am

ajax727 wrote:It would be nice if I owned a union that way I could have people paying me from their paycheck and I could be rolling in dough and living like a fat rat .

You don't need a union just go into politics plenty of folks at the white house doing it everyday... :rofl: :rofl:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby TimWhite » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Just curious how this went from a discussion on how things in the public sector IE crime, violent protests, etc have seen a troubling uptick in activity and turned into a discussion on the pros and cons of unions. :?
"We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Pride and arrogance are a lethal combination and have brought about the downfall of many powerful men". Charlie Daniels
TimWhite
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to General California Discussion, News and Weather