• Advertisement

Extreme Traffic Congestion And Other Horde Concerns

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

Extreme Traffic Congestion And Other Horde Concerns

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 am

Its one thing to have ordinary traffic jams but when the cars are piled up through entire states, hotel rooms are impossible to get because they're all sold, and even the rest stops are filled is something else. I experienced just that on Monday. In this case it was the horde that was going out to see the solar eclipse. The zombies came out in droves to see the eclipse and I was one of them. Like many of the people seeing the eclipse I went to Tennessee to see it which was one of the best places to be. Going in wasn't so bad but coming back that was where the SHTF. Through just about all of Tennessee the cars were piled up and while I definitely couldn't get a hotel room I did stop at a rest stop and I slept in my car after finding a spot by the curb. Even at the rest stop the parking lot was all filled and most of the curb spots were also filled. Sleeping in my car at a rest stop is nothing new to me, I've done it many times before at rest stops but never at a rest stop where so many other people were doing it to. So if you think you experienced bad traffic you haven't experienced it until you've experienced something like this. Im certainly not opposed to going out and enjoying big events such as solar eclipses, but you just got to be prepared for the hordes and for a crisis if you do that.
Photon Guy

Re: Extreme Traffic Congestion And Other Horde Concerns

Postby Fullmoon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 am

It was the same scenario here in Oregon, never seen so much traffic on the I-5 before this eclipse. Several east - west highways are closed due to forest fires so this just forced more cars onto the 5. Now imagine if something really bad happened, the freeways would become a parking lot. I live in a very rural area with hardly any population. Most of these traveler's had California license plates and they drove hundreds of miles to see the eclipse.
Fullmoon

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:47 am

and there was resources available like fuel and food/water - the roads were fully open and not restricted in any way - people were tired and frustrated but not crazed beyond belief ....

all things you can expect in a SHTF evac situation ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:17 pm

You drove hours in heavy traffic and spent big bucks for two minutes of darkness? I put on Apocalypto, saw the eclipse with a bunch of people grunting and pointing too! Man like groovie! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:05 pm

daaswampman wrote:You drove hours in heavy traffic and spent big bucks for two minutes of darkness? I put on Apocalypto, saw the eclipse with a bunch of people grunting and pointing too! Man like groovie! Swamp

The event I went to was free. The only expense if the trip was ordinary travel costs. That and I also paid about $50 for a packet at a museum which included a ticket to a planetarium show and the special eclipse glasses. But the eclipse event in Gallatin TN was free. I didn't even have to pay for parking. And a total eclipse is more than just darkness. In every 24 hour period I get from about 6 to 12 hours of darkness depending on the season, its called nighttime. As you know a total eclipse is much much more than just darkness. And I didn't drive for hours in heavy traffic to get there, it was driving back when the traffic got super heavy. Driving in was fine, driving back was not.
Photon Guy

Postby ajax727 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:34 pm

We sat in the yard and watched the eclipse it did not get dark we had a good view of the moon passing by the sun . It did cool down a little and we had a little less light like shade it was ok but I did enjoy the one back in 79 . We used wielding shields for the viewing . No traffic issue at all , I was told 95 was a little loaded but 95 is around 20 miles from us .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Mollypup » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 am

I've seen one when I was a kid. Didn't bother with this one.

I have, however, experienced such traffic in an evacuation event more than once. One of those times was a Get the Hell Out Now! type deals. They expected most of the east side of the city to blow. So. What happened with the masses? 95 percent were stuck in stand still traffic.......for hours.

I suggested to my mom that we forget the car and walk. I had to duck the slap headed my way & the remark was somewhere along the lines of me being insane........ (she's not the most logical person) It took I'd guess an hour to just get out of the driveway. Our street was actually a highway & normally traffic flowed quickly and there wasn't a ton. The 15 min drive to my aunt's house just outside of the city took several more hours. Honestly? I would've been much faster to just walk there even given the distance. Had it actually blown (after the initial explosion) the entire east end of the city would've sustained a ridiculous amount of deaths & injuries, just because everyone was trapped in their cars moving at a snail's pace. smh

Another time was not much better. Except the car couldn't be ditched as it had necessary supplies that couldn't be carried any distance. (I knew it was going to be a long haul due to the above experience) There was a newborn & toddler that required those supplies.

Both destinations were normally very short trips time wise.

Distance doesn't matter. If you're in a vehicle, expect flow to come to a grinding halt & stay that way for many hours at the very least. Make evacuation plans accordingly.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:17 am

Mollypup wrote:I have, however, experienced such traffic in an evacuation event more than once. One of those times was a Get the Hell Out Now! type deals. They expected most of the east side of the city to blow. So. What happened with the masses? 95 percent were stuck in stand still traffic.......for hours.

I suggested to my mom that we forget the car and walk. I had to duck the slap headed my way & the remark was somewhere along the lines of me being insane........ (she's not the most logical person) It took I'd guess an hour to just get out of the driveway. Our street was actually a highway & normally traffic flowed quickly and there wasn't a ton. The 15 min drive to my aunt's house just outside of the city took several more hours. Honestly? I would've been much faster to just walk there even given the distance. Had it actually blown (after the initial explosion) the entire east end of the city would've sustained a ridiculous amount of deaths & injuries, just because everyone was trapped in their cars moving at a snail's pace. smh

So was this near an active volcano?
Photon Guy

Postby TRex2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:42 am

Today you can count on most people to not start moving
for the first couple of hours after the first signs of SHTF.
Getting a jump on everyone else during that initial period
before others begin to move can be a great advantage.

Mollypup: like Photon Guy, I would like to hear more details
of your experiences.

As I write this, I am watching a map of traffic flow out
of Corpus Chisti, and a weather map of the storm bands
coming into the city. Amazingly, there are still cars being
driven off of the island where Schlitterbahn is located.

Good news is that traffic flowed, moderately heavy and
smoothly, all yesterday, and has been smooth today. But,
amazingly, there are lines at every gas station for miles
around. Long enough lines that they show up on the
traffic mapping tool I am using.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 am

the thing about SHTFs is that the majority of the possible scenarios aren't BAM ZAM - it's SHTF time .... they are predictable - long term to a build - progressive across geography/territory .... even if the SHTF is almost instantaneous - like an EMP pulse - the cause won't be the killer cause for most - it's the follow-up chaos and society collapse that kills ...

if you're prepping correctly - you're keeping a eye on the national & international scenes for effecting SHTFs - good chance you'll be bugged out and perhaps waiting a week or even a month for the eventual crunch ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:45 pm

So what I heard about Oregon, which was in the path that the eclipse took, that people were running out of gas and bottled water. Supposedly Oregon was not prepared for such an event and for such a horde. I keep my gas tank at least half full, whenever the gas gets close to or at the halfway point I fill up. Especially on long road trips. That way you can make sure you've got enough gas. I also take a good supply of water with me when going on long trips.
Photon Guy

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Me too, I always keep my tank full when traveling and also keep supplies with me, but
I only travel in the motorhome, so its stocked. No problem if I get stuff for a few days.
You never know what can happen.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Photon Guy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:03 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Me too, I always keep my tank full when traveling and also keep supplies with me, but
I only travel in the motorhome, so its stocked. No problem if I get stuff for a few days.
You never know what can happen.

I wish I had a motorhome. At the park in Gallatin TN, the site that I was at to see the eclipse, there were a few RVs there. Right now I cannot afford an RV. The only problem I see with RVs is their size, unless you get a smaller one. A friend of mine bought an RV which is about the size of a school van so with an RV like that size would not be a problem. With the bigger RVs, however, size can be a problem in terms of mobility, gas efficiency, and parking. If you were driving back from the eclipse, at least if you were taking the route I was taking, you would not be able to park your RV even at a rest stop. The rest stops were all filled up and while I was able to park my compact car by the curb, you would not be able to fit an RV there as even most of the space by the curb was taken up. So in a situation like that I would say to keep your RV stocked with lots of coffee or energy drinks as you would be driving for a long time.
Photon Guy

Postby Mollypup » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:10 pm

TRex2 wrote:Today you can count on most people to not start moving
for the first couple of hours after the first signs of SHTF.
Getting a jump on everyone else during that initial period
before others begin to move can be a great advantage.

Mollypup: like Photon Guy, I would like to hear more details
of your experiences.

As I write this, I am watching a map of traffic flow out
of Corpus Chisti, and a weather map of the storm bands
coming into the city. Amazingly, there are still cars being
driven off of the island where Schlitterbahn is located.

Good news is that traffic flowed, moderately heavy and
smoothly, all yesterday, and has been smooth today. But,
amazingly, there are lines at every gas station for miles
around. Long enough lines that they show up on the
traffic mapping tool I am using.

When I was about 12.....so 1978 or so......there was a tanker leak in a major rail yard on the east side of the city (my hometown in central Illinois).....someone didn't realize this and a lit cigarette caused the initial explosion which literally woke us up that morning as our front windows & door blew open......we were several miles from the rail yard. I don't recall all the details but there were other damaged leaking now overheated tankers & the very real immediate threat of a much larger second explosion. The threat wasn't just the explosion itself (initial wiped out structures in the immediate area as if they were made of match sticks) , but poisoning from the toxic fumes. The alert to evacuate the area went out almost immediately.

Unless you were closer to the rail yard than we were......you didn't have a clue what had happened. It could've been a bomb for all we knew. Sky was black with thick smoke. Police & other first responders were adamant to GET OUT NOW, don't stop for anything, just GO! This was the wee hours in the morning. This is how people woke up. So you've got half asleep folks trying to grasp wth is going on as well as understand to haul butt outta there.

This was no small city by any means, but traffic jams usually weren't much of a problem. That day, however, traffic didn't move except at a snails pace due to everyone trying to do the same thing at the same time using the same roads. Cars ran out of gas compounding the issues.

It would've been both faster & smarter to walk out. At 12 I realized this. Unfortunately the adults didn't. They were stuck in the mindset that cars are faster. Not in these circumstances they're not. Listen to your children, often they point out the obvious adults can't see. (we're stuck in a mind set, they're not)

Second evacuation, different state, I'm a young mother. Had walked out of the grocery store with my husband & I spotted it. Thick black-blue unnatural massive cloud in the west. I don't know if it was my previous experience or instinct that told me we were in danger. We hauled butt going home....at my insistence. My dh thought I was being paranoid. Nothing on the news when we get there. Dh thought I'd gone off the deep end when I started packing....as did my in laws. I ignored them & kept packing. There were two very young children to pack for...one a newborn with special needs. I didn't have time to argue & I knew it. It took a half hour before the alert went out. But my FIL, normally an intelligent man, decided to be bull headed & believe it didn't include us. I started loading cars while being told I was over reacting. FIL wouldn't move until the police banged on the door & ordered us out. By then the cars were packed & ready......another 15 mins wasted.

Event was caused by another leaking tanker (s) pouring toxic chemicals into the air.....yup that thick blue black smoke. IF they'd listened to my instincts & actually helped me pack & load....we'd have been out of the area long before that knock on the door and probably missed most of the traffic jam. Because evidently everyone thought like my FIL and waited until the last possible second. omg

I will say though, we had everything we needed for sitting out 3 or 4 days in the convention center "shelter" which had no supplies except what the Red Cross brought. If anyone else did, I never ran across them. Meals weren't set up until the following morning. We were evacuated in the afternoon. We did have a major hitch. We had to take 2 cars. Dh happened to toss the diaper bag full of bottles & special formula into his car while I (and the kids) were in my in laws car.........and we did not arrive at the destination at the same time. I had a screaming newborn who was long past feeding (who already had dangerous issues with feeding) and nothing to give him because it was in the other car. First thing I did once we arrived at the evacuation center was navigate through crowds looking for dh & hunting for the Red Cross (praying they were there & had something to feed an infant). I found the Red Cross long before dh, thank God. I wanted to kill the man for putting the diaper bag into the wrong damn car.

Meals weren't set up until the next morning. Understandable, they needed time to prepare. Too many hungry people & way too many hungry kids. I gave snacks to those kids near us. I can't stand to see a hungry kid & you do reach a point of doing just about anything to shut up a crying kid (when there are hundreds & it echos). We were relatively comfortable. Pillows & sleeping bags, blankets, toiletries, favorite familiar toys for the toddler. 99 percent came with just the clothes on their backs & were miserable within just a couple of hours. Us adults slept in shifts to make sure our belongings weren't stolen. I don't recall sleeping unless I nodded off here & there.

Trust your instinct & follow it. Ignore anyone who goes against it. If your gut is telling you to Get Out, then by damn GET OUT. Odds are it's going to tell you before anything else will if you pay attention. Instinct is triggered long before the brain has a chance to process information, it is your survival mechanism.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters