• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby TRex2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 pm

anita wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:[
Anita, I just heard on the weather channel that they are advising people in...

I have a feeling I know some new preppers!

I guess the first rule in prepping should be "know where you are"
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby Mollypup » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:10 pm

I hope everyone in the area is careful & stays safe. I'm keeping them in my prayers.

I'm all for calling out price gougers but making it criminal in our society is sort of contradictory. It can't be ok to charge according to supply & demand one moment & not just because it's an emergency.

In my opinion, this is why being prepared should be a fundamental part of childhood teaching. It makes no sense that we don't do that as a society.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:20 pm

They are cutting the water and power to my son's building soon. Ugh. Can you imagine how hot, humid, and miserable it is?
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby TRex2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Mollypup wrote:I hope everyone in the area is careful & stays safe. I'm keeping them in my prayers.

I'm all for calling out price gougers but making it criminal in our society is sort of contradictory. It can't be ok to charge according to supply & demand one moment & not just because it's an emergency.

In my opinion, this is why being prepared should be a fundamental part of childhood teaching. It makes no sense that we don't do that as a society.

I am in complete agreement with you (and Stossel's book -" Get the Shovel") also agrees with you, but most Americans are too coddled, and thus, not ready to hear that.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby ajax727 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Well heck the gas has already going up in North Carolina , just 0.11 today from yesterday locally and from I hear it went up 0.24 in a town close by . It is supply and demand here they have the gas and they demand more for it . I have a few gallons on hand but that will be used if it goes on up but 300 gallons want last too long , I filled up my underground tank a while back when it was cheaper and put a lock on the pump .
Anita good to hear your son is ok and he is stocked up . I got to make a few call and see if my friends in Texas are doing ok they should be they are preppers also . I can call one and he will know about the others .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Photon Guy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:50 pm

anita wrote:Don't get me wrong, we had problems here in SE PA, but NJ/NY had the major problems. But we have had numerous multi-day power outages over the years and I have never once been offered a bottle of water or anything else. Granted, it was more of a tree/powerline problem than houses being blown apart, but there was no water to be had in the groceries/convenience stores, etc., for a few days.

My son is in Houston now, and he has a week's supplies, so he thinks he's in good shape. He at least promised me he'd fill the tub with water to flush. I heard this morning that the wastewater treatment plant in Corpus Christi was compromised very quickly, and they are asking people to limit the flushing and boil water.

Flushing quickly becomes critical. :eek:

I was in NJ when Sandy hit and in my area we were without electricity for at least a week and from what I remember it might've been as long as two weeks. Without electricity the gas pumps weren't working and so you couldn't get gas at most gas stations. What few gas stations were open, they had power somehow most likely they had their own generators, and when I waited on line for gas standing there with my container it was much like it was in certain countries during hard times when people had to wait for hours and hours in line just to get a scoop of rice and all too often they would run out of rice before everybody got their scoop and so the people waiting the longest had to go home without rice. That's what it was like in the gas lines, you would wait for hours and all too often they would run out of gas at the pump before you got there. I don't recall ever being able to get gas when the power was down and I had waited for hours in some of those gas lines. I've learned from my mistakes back then and now I keep the gas tank in my car at least half full. I also keep additional gas stocked in containers. Parts of Home Depot was also open. They also had their own power supply but since they didn't have adequate power for the entire store only the front section was open. They were selling lots of outdoor equipment for clearing fallen trees and other such debris.

Once adequate repairs were made and the power was restored all the gas stations and other stores opened back up and you would have no problem getting gas or whatever else you needed.
Photon Guy

Postby Cin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm

The kid who lives in Houston evacuated 2 days ago. Had a GOOD bag in the car already, just needed to scoop up some mementos and precious things, and then left.

The kid is staying with friends some 40 miles northwest. Those who stayed have been sending photos - the apartment complex has water from the bayou lapping at the sidewalks now. Businesses across the street are underwater, only the roofs are showing.

A friend posted this:

For my non-Houston friends- to help you understand the devastation: Houston is huge. The greater metropolitan area is circled by the Grand Parkway - which is 170 miles long. That makes the area of the circle inside the Grand Parkway over 2200 sq. miles.

2200 square miles of densely inhabited, urban and suburban, areas are flooded.

Imagine if the entire state of Delaware, with twice the population of Manhattan, was under water.

That's Houston. It's still raining.
Cin

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:11 pm

anita wrote:They are cutting the water and power to my son's building soon. Ugh. Can you imagine how hot, humid, and miserable it is?

Anita my heart is breaking for you, because I know what it's like having our son down there. I wish yours lived closer to mine so he could reach out to help! Texas is sooooo far from PA! I worry every time the news/ world events get dicey. Ours has a 72 hour bag in his car. As long as he has food in his apartment, he'd be good for light & cooking. But THIS .... this is a hard to prep for when it happens so fast. {{hug to you mama}} hang in there from afar!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:00 pm

I lived through floods down there where we were marooned and couldn't get out for days and
also were without electricity. I remember one year thanking the Canadians that came down and
rebuilt the power structure that went across the river. We talked to them, great bunch of guys.

I'm not sure about the evacuating or not situation, I would have after what we went through, but
that is just us. Many have no way to leave or the money. No matter what its devastating and I
hate to hear what is happening. Bad part is its not done yet.

My old friend down there is like us and has lived through a lot down there, her daughter is now
in Indiana, she heard the predictions and came up here. She said why stay when I don't have to
smart lady.

Hope anyone that is there stays safe and that the additional rainfall might be less then predicted.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Price gouging is tricky business and damn hard to prove and get a conviction. The laws and fines against price gouging are nothing but politicians passing political gas, with no real intent to stop it!

Do you really want the government setting prices? The result of government price controls is scarcity or hoarding! Not the warm and fuzzy PC answer some want, but it is the truth! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 am

Houston really needs boats right now. Im thinking about adding an inflatable raft to my preps.
Photon Guy

Postby anita » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:04 am

Good news for my son! It stopped raining as hard just before it breached my son's apartment building, and they still have power and water. The water level lowered somewhat last night. Not a ton, but it looks like the storm is moving East.

My friends that live in the Woodlands are another story. They spent yesterday moving furniture to the second floor, and decided to drive to a local church where people were being picked up with boats. Of course their SUV flooded out quickly, and a guy in a truck picked them up and took them to the church, abandoning the car. They are confident their house will take water, but most neighbors are staying.

I hope they didn't try to leave at the exact worst time. Time will tell.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:14 pm

anita wrote:Good news for my son! It stopped raining as hard just before it breached my son's apartment building, and they still have power and water. The water level lowered somewhat last night. Not a ton, but it looks like the storm is moving East.

My friends that live in the Woodlands are another story. They spent yesterday moving furniture to the second floor, and decided to drive to a local church where people were being picked up with boats. Of course their SUV flooded out quickly, and a guy in a truck picked them up and took them to the church, abandoning the car. They are confident their house will take water, but most neighbors are staying.

Good for your son. I hope your friends in Woodlands are able to faire well in this disaster. I wish I could be over there with a boat to help out.
Photon Guy

Postby anita » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
anita wrote:Good news for my son! It stopped raining as hard just before it breached my son's apartment building, and they still have power and water. The water level lowered somewhat last night. Not a ton, but it looks like the storm is moving East.

Good for your son. I hope your friends in Woodlands are able to faire well in this disaster. I wish I could be over there with a boat to help out.

Thanks. I have a feeling they'll be a little more prepared next time. Whenever I mentioned anything about being prepared, she told me they'd come to my house. Well, that didn't work out so well, now they have a brand new car ruined if nothing else.

anita

Postby Blondie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:41 pm

daaswampman wrote:Price gouging is tricky business and damn hard to prove and get a conviction. Swamp

Swamp, there is a fine line between price gouging & entrepeneurship. ;)

I was on the Indiana Toll Road during Hurricane Sandy. About 6-8 pickup trucks passed in a convoy, all headed east. And all stocked with portable gennies. New in their boxes.

Profiteering off the unprepared. We often speak of items to store for barter. These guys were thinking the same, just a much bigger scale.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters