• Advertisement

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:36 pm

They are talking about starting to release water from the dams in the Houston area, saying it could raise
water levels 12 more feet and its still raining.

That's what almost got our house down there one time when they started releasing water from Lake
Conroe, it did many many families.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Photon Guy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Blondie wrote:
daaswampman wrote:Price gouging is tricky business and damn hard to prove and get a conviction. Swamp

Swamp, there is a fine line between price gouging & entrepeneurship. ;)

I was on the Indiana Toll Road during Hurricane Sandy. About 6-8 pickup trucks passed in a convoy, all headed east. And all stocked with portable gennies. New in their boxes.

Profiteering off the unprepared. We often speak of items to store for barter. These guys were thinking the same, just a much bigger scale.

When Sandy hit I did not have a generator. Now I do but had somebody offered to sell me a genny during Sandy at an outrageous price I probably would've passed on it and waited it out. I was able to get by without electricity when Sandy hit and while it was very uncomfortable and inconvenient I lived. As for price gouging you see that all the time and not just during disasters. Ever see the price for food and conveniences at airports? Now as for selling gennies at high prices during Sandy, that's nothing compared to some other examples. Back when the Oregon Trail was traveled on foot and by horse, people traveling west often did not prepare well enough with the basics such as water. Smart people who brought large supplies of water with them, they were able to sometimes sell a single glass of water for $100. Even today $100 for a glass of water would be outrageous but back then when $100 was worth much more, imagine paying $100 for a glass of water because you had to back in the day.
Photon Guy

Postby Renerylee2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:29 am

While the news media is mostly dealing with the victims of Harvey, preppers should take notice of what didn't happen. Officials knew days ahead of time that the amount of rain and flooding would far surpass what they were warning and demonized anyone saying otherwise. This left many people thinking they would not be affected and did not plan accordingly. There are a lot of advertisements now by the government for disaster planning directing to Ready.gov which makes me think that Harvey isn't the only disaster we aren't being told about. My highest respect for those who have weathered this storm and stay strong and safe.
Renerylee2

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:30 am

Renerylee2 wrote:While the news media is mostly dealing with the victims of Harvey, preppers should take notice of what didn't happen. Officials knew days ahead of time that the amount of rain and flooding would far surpass what they were warning and demonized anyone saying otherwise. This left many people thinking they would not be affected and did not plan accordingly. There are a lot of advertisements now by the government for disaster planning directing to Ready.gov which makes me think that Harvey isn't the only disaster we aren't being told about. My highest respect for those who have weathered this storm and stay strong and safe.

September is Preparedness month. Ads will ramp up in the next few days. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:54 am

I thought the governor of Texas told them not to evacuate? Am I wrong?
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ajax727 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 am

I can not get up with my friends in Texas when I call it goes straight to voice mail and I am worried and this storm is now in there area . They may be aiding others who need help because that is the type of people they are .
Prayers for all and may they say safe .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:I thought the governor of Texas told them not to evacuate? Am I wrong?

I believe he did. The governor does not like Trump so he told everybody to disregard Trump's warning about Harvey and to not evacuate.
Photon Guy

Postby Floridaclipper » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:33 am

I admit I do not watch the news as closely however I did catch somethings ie the storm was huge, gaining strength, expected to linger and produce alot of rain. That's enough for me to get out of town in that area. While the local recommendation was to stay in place I can't help but remember a trip I took there in 2015. Due to a serious medical issue we drove through the night from FL for a multitude of appointments at a major hospital there. We arrived about 5pm just as the rain was starting. In the morning the city was under water. Getting to the hospital was a significant challenge as the roads were flooded and there were multiple road closures. The hospital was understaffed and overwhelmed as the staff (who knew the roads) couldn't get there. We were well taken care of and pushed ahead as we had a very tight schedule of appointments but I observed the experience of others and that was scary. The news was reporting flood related deaths. Harvey was expected to be much worse. I get that the officials were recommending not evacuating but that just wouldn't have made sense to me based on that experience to stay. We left the following morning and had a great deal of difficulty getting out of town. Not being critical of anyone who chose to stay we each make our decisions based on available information and our personal responsibilities are different for each of us. It is a lesson though to not blindly trust what the officials tell us is in our best interest.

Keeping those impacted by the storm in my prayers.
Florida region 3
Floridaclipper

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:01 pm

My friend like me who is and was familiar with Houston left down there when she heard this. We both knew
what can and does happen with ANY hurricane there. She is safe and sound up here.

I have heard nothing about Galveston or Conroe, wondering what is happening with those places. Has to be
as bad or worse.

Just can't imagine people staying no matter what the gov said. He is one of the righties isn't he? Also wonder
how the cuts for flood relief and infrastructure improvements will go. Trump 10 days ago just cancelled by
executive order a new ruling Obama had to make improvements to structures for flooding due to climate change
when they were being rebuilt, items like bridges and roads to better withstand events such as this.
Whoop, guess I forgot you folks don't believe in climate change. Just glad we no longer live there and just closed
on our last house on the 16th. Man, that was close, the one we sold was not in a flood area but with this much
rain even it could take on water on the floors I would think.

I would bet where we lived could very well be flooded with a rain like this, don't hear anything outside of Houston,
well did hear the Woodlands was having flooding and we just lived across I 45 nearer the San Jacinto, so could be.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:21 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:I thought the governor of Texas told them not to evacuate? Am I wrong?

The governor said folks should evacuate. The Mayor of Houston said no mandatory evacuation. The mayor was worried about injuries and deaths on the highway as everyone tried to get out of town all at once. It had happened before and lots of folks died even before the storm hit - Rita in 2005:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/27 ... -stay-put/

It's a classic no-win situation, ask folks to evacuate knowing that there will probably be deaths that wouldn't have happened if everyone stayed put. But if you don't evacuate and get a disaster like Harvey then you get blamed for a massive humanitarian disaster.
dmwalsh568

Postby rickdun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 pm

[quote="PatrioticStabilist"] Whoop, guess I forgot you folks don't believe in climate change.

Climate change is an ongoing process that has been going on for ten's of thousands of years. If it weren't for the caveman using fire, we'd still be in one of the ice ages.

On another note, it's going to take years, many years for Texas to recover. Just think of all the water pollution, sewage plants, chemical plants, let alone all the petroleum plants that may have leaked in the the water system.

http://globaljusticeecology.org/hurrica ... the-storm/
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:16 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:

The governor said folks should evacuate. The Mayor of Houston said no mandatory evacuation. The mayor was worried about injuries and deaths on the highway as everyone tried to get out of town all at once. It had happened before and lots of folks died even before the storm hit - Rita in 2005:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/27 ... -stay-put/

It's a classic no-win situation, ask folks to evacuate knowing that there will probably be deaths that wouldn't have happened if everyone stayed put. But if you don't evacuate and get a disaster like Harvey then you get blamed for a massive humanitarian disaster.

except a city can provide other means of evacuating than just private cars - NOLA had empty buses rolling north and the very same with AMTRAK trains - a Coast Guard helicopter limo service is eazier ...

other cities have pulled it off - this is a better situation? ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

ReadyMom wrote:September is Preparedness month. Ads will ramp up in the next few days. -k

I consider every month preparedness month.
Photon Guy

Postby anita » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
except a city can provide other means of evacuating than just private cars - NOLA had empty buses rolling north and the very same with AMTRAK trains - a Coast Guard helicopter limo service is eazier ...

other cities have pulled it off - this is a better situation? ....

Don't hold up New Orleans as an example of excellent planning!!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby TRex2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:36 pm

The best time to have evacuated Houston was June of 2001.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Tropical_Storm_Allison_in_Texas#Impact
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters