• Advertisement

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby BigOrange75 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Was switching between the Weather channel, FOX, and Good Morning America on Sunday morning to try and figure out if I could put together a real picture of what was happening. On Good Morning America they were interviewing the Houston police chief on the phone. The anchor, can't remember the dweeb's name , asked what he thought about the governor saying don't evacuate and the mayor saying to go. He was trying to get the chief to start the finger pointing already, always got to blame somebody. The police chief handled it real well, he told them he was handling a bad situation and that kind of stuff would have to come in the future he didn't have time for that.
BigOrange75
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 pm

He also thanked trump for not visiting, he said we just don't have time for that right now to pull
resources away.

I saw pictures of one of the airports, guessing Hobby, there were all kinds of planes with just the
tail fin above water. They couldn't have flown them out? Sometimes I really wonder about some
of those folks.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:42 pm

anita wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:
except a city can provide other means of evacuating than just private cars - NOLA had empty buses rolling north and the very same with AMTRAK trains - a Coast Guard helicopter limo service is eazier ...

other cities have pulled it off - this is a better situation? ....

Don't hold up New Orleans as an example of excellent planning!!

you mean the Chocolate City? ... you don't think Mayor Ray Nagin did a good job? - you must be another one of those Bush racist that tried blaming everything on the poor black folk ....

got Round Two coming up with Houston's mayor - he's got race card written ALLL over him ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:27 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:He also thanked trump for not visiting, he said we just don't have time for that right now to pull
resources away.

I saw pictures of one of the airports, guessing Hobby, there were all kinds of planes with just the
tail fin above water. They couldn't have flown them out? Sometimes I really wonder about some
of those folks.

Jaw-dropping photo of planes floating on flooded tarmac at Houston airport during Hurricane Harvey is revealed as a HOAX
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -fake.html
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:24 pm

We are being lied too! All the news and stories are from upscale areas all pearly white! That is not the majority of Houston. Got word from friends on the ground and it is a free for all in many areas. Everything you would expect without the police and 911 is currently happening. This may make Katrina look like a cakewalk! These people need our prayers!

Think about it - have you seen any news from Black, Latino, or working class neighborhoods? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 am

daaswampman wrote:We are being lied too! All the news and stories are from upscale areas all pearly white! That is not the majority of Houston. Got word from friends on the ground and it is a free for all in many areas. Everything you would expect without the police and 911 is currently happening. This may make Katrina look like a cakewalk! These people need our prayers!

Think about it - have you seen any news from Black, Latino, or working class neighborhoods? Swamp

I don't have inside sources, but I was indeed wondering where the news was about the poorer & more ethnic areas because I've not seen any. Due to building conditions that are typical in such areas I would imagine the damage to be far more extensive......

Fortunately my sister lives far enough from Houston she's not involved.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:59 am

daaswampman wrote:We are being lied too! All the news and stories are from upscale areas all pearly white! That is not the majority of Houston. Got word from friends on the ground and it is a free for all in many areas. Everything you would expect without the police and 911 is currently happening. This may make Katrina look like a cakewalk! These people need our prayers!

It is probably too dangerous to send a news team into those places.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:51 am

saw a few UTubes of those areas - looting in progress - that's where the boat guys are getting assaulted and swamped by the unruly crowds - don't think the weather guy types get combat pay for their jobs ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby anita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:49 am

I've seen plenty of black and Latino people being rescued. This woman already was rescued, but did you see her go off on the CNN reporter? Good for her!

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/29/rescu ... age-video/
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 am

Turns out the airport photo was a phony, figures.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ajax727 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 am

Well heck people were warned that there would be a massive amount rain with this storm , yet the people did not listen to the warnings . They were also told that it would move back into the Gulf and then back into the mainland . The old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink " applies .
Yes it is tragic but people should have listened to the warnings and took actions to prepare for it . I may sound cruel but the truth is the truth .
Fake news such as the airport photo or the shark in the water should be checked out before people lose there minds over it or speak of it as facts . The one good thing is that the people of Texas came to the rescue of fellow Texans with boats and other aid .
There is also a cry for people to send money to this group or that group such as the Red cross , people should research them and see were the money truly goes the facts seem to be it don't all go to aid those that need it but of coarse the leaders of the groups line there pockets first oh and do a fact check before you say I am wrong . The top dog of the R C salary is around 625.000 bucks a year . They also say they give 91% of the money but have changed that , also the federal government refunds most of the money they spend . ( fact check this fact )
I will say if you want to send funds send it to a local church (not one of the big money hungry ones ) they know how to use it wisely in there area it would be used to feed and cloth the needy .
A small rant but a need one .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:18 am

ajax727 wrote:Well heck people were warned that there would be a massive amount rain with this storm , yet the people did not listen to the warnings . They were also told that it would move back into the Gulf and then back into the mainland . The old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink " applies .
Yes it is tragic but people should have listened to the warnings and took actions to prepare for it . I may sound cruel but the truth is the truth .
Fake news such as the airport photo or the shark in the water should be checked out before people lose there minds over it or speak of it as facts . The one good thing is that the people of Texas came to the rescue of fellow Texans with boats and other aid .
There is also a cry for people to send money to this group or that group such as the Red cross , people should research them and see were the money truly goes the facts seem to be it don't all go to aid those that need it but of coarse the leaders of the groups line there pockets first oh and do a fact check before you say I am wrong . The top dog of the R C salary is around 625.000 bucks a year . They also say they give 91% of the money but have changed that , also the federal government refunds most of the money they spend . ( fact check this fact )
I will say if you want to send funds send it to a local church (not one of the big money hungry ones ) they know how to use it wisely in there area it would be used to feed and cloth the needy .
A small rant but a need one .

whatever you do - don't be stupid enough to fall for the new internet con game - "gofundme" BS - saw one last nite and this morning - reported both - if the fundraising isn't thru some gooberment connection like a FD or PD - I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby LetsPrep11 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:48 pm

I give to Franklin Graham's, Samaritan's Purse. They were in Texas right away, working hard to help people. It's an excellent organization and most of the money donated goes right to the relief effort, not in management's pocket. Friends have volunteered with SP and they loved working with them.

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/

Check them out on Charity Navigator:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/
LetsPrep11

Postby anita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:49 pm

I was going to suggest Charity Navigator as well. And I also gave to Samaritan's Purse.

There are plenty of faux police charitable groups, so they should be checked out as well.

The reality about this storm is that it was expected to be a Cat 1 until 24 or 36 hours before it made landfall. Those in Houston were told to stay put so that the masses weren't on the highway when the storm hit, causing much greater loss of life. Hindsight is always 20-20, and you can now say that those who didn't leave were foolish, but at least in Houston they were doing as told.

As I mentioned, my son is in Houston, his girlfriend just started a PhD program and they moved there a month ago. Great intro to the city!

They are on the second level of their apartment building, never lost power or water, although they almost did. Yes they are rather stuck there at the moment, but his girlfriend's program is supposed to start up again on Monday. If they had left, they wouldn't be able to get back. They did as they were told, and they are fine. A grocery is open near them, at least. Their biggest problem at the moment is lack of internet. Since my son works remotely, he can't work, but he's found a location with internet and will get back to work tomorrow.

They stocked enough food and water for at least a week and filled the bathtub and everything else they had with water when they thought they were going to lose it, but I'm sure that they are relieved that the grocery reopened (no produce and had just run out of water again right before they got there yesterday .)

The apartment complex was great, kept them apprised as to problems (when they were considering cutting water and power, for instance) and offered any vacant apartments to those on the first floor so that they could get their stuff higher in case it did flood.

So, before you paint the people of Houston with a broad brush, know that many of the people who stayed did exactly what they were told, and the mayor was making his best guess as to what to do.

I, for one, am impressed at how much better Houston is handling this, compared to New Orleans after Katrina. Granted, NO isn't much of a city compared to Houston, but there is a big difference in mindset about taking care of yourself and helping others, rather than waiting for some government entity to take care of you.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby IceFire » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 pm

We'll be giving through our Church...the Presbytery there will make sure that the money goes to the people in their Presbytery who have suffered loss. (AND they will report back to the Synod as to where the money went, which will in turn be reported back to the churches!)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters