• Advertisement

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby ajax727 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Anita your son had a good leader you , you did an excellent job on getting him prepared . That is my main point on the above , food water and a dry place . If others would have done the same things would have been a lot better for them .
I did sent some money but to a couple of friends to use as they seen fit , for gas for boats , gas for their trucks or meals . I sent it to his bank account from mine it was simple and easy all I need was the bank location I know his name .
I also agree the church will do a better job helping than any other group . There will be a lot of fraud with the fly by night money grabbers .
I lost my company when a hurricane came by destroyed my production building and three other buildings and two shelters . I did ask for help to rebuild but was turned down for funding . From that point on I refuse to ask for help from the state government or any group or person . It was a hard lesson but I learned from it .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Mollypup » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:42 am

Chemical Plant Near Houston Warns It's About to Explode

A fire or explosion in the next few days at a flooded chemical plant on the outskirts of Houston is virtually inevitable, its CEO warned on a call with reporters Wednesday.

The Arkema Inc. factory in Crosby, Texas, 20 miles northeast of downtown Houston, lost power early Sunday, which it needs to refrigerate volatile chemicals. Those chemicals ignite if they get too warm ― something likely to happen in the next six days, Arkema North America CEO Richard Rowe said.

“Materials could now explode and cause a subsequent intense fire,” Rowe said. “The high water that exists on site, and the lack of power, leave us with no way to prevent it.”

“We’re really blocked from taking meaningful action,” he added.

The company powered its coolers with backup generators at first, but they were overwhelmed by water and have failed, leaving the chemicals to warm.

Residents living within 1.5-mile radius of the plant were evacuated Tuesday, along with a skeleton crew of Arkema workers who had stayed behind during the storm in case of an emergency.

Arkema manufactures organic peroxides at the Crosby plant. According to a safe storage manual by AkzoNobel, a rival chemical manufacturer, that class of chemicals is considered “highly combustible.” At high ambient temperatures, “a violent combustion or thermal explosion” is possible, the manual says.

Arkema is among dozens of chemical plants and refineries in the Houston area, many of which have sustained damage in this week’s flooding, causing harm to residents’ health and the environment.

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

Like these people don't have enough problems already. :shakeno:
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:12 am

Here's another article on the chemical plant that's ready to catch fire and explode at any time.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/31/qu ... -says.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 am

anita wrote:...
I, for one, am impressed at how much better Houston is handling this, compared to New Orleans after Katrina. Granted, NO isn't much of a city compared to Houston, but there is a big difference in mindset about taking care of yourself and helping others, rather than waiting for some government entity to take care of you.

That mindset is everything. A video clip my wife and I still talk about is a guy sitting on the windowsill of a house with water almost up to the windowsill. The video was taken from a boat picking people up to move them to higher ground or to the evac center. They asked if he wanted to go and he said: "No, I don't want to go, I want someone to get all this water out of here." And he wouldn't even get in the boat.

That would have been the defining picture of New Orleans, if it had not been for the defining picture turning out to be "Looter Guy"
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/lootie

IceFire wrote:We'll be giving through our Church...the Presbytery there will make sure that the money goes to the people in their Presbytery who have suffered loss. (AND they will report back to the Synod as to where the money went, which will in turn be reported back to the churches!)

That, in my opinion, is the right way to do things, and that method accomplishes several good goals:
1. Researching and finding out which charity to give the money though is only done once by one person (or committee, if they follow the standard Baptist model)
2. The Charity only gets one large donation, linked to one address, so they only have to track one item instead of dozens, and for follow on, they don't spend their future resources sending their literature to dozens of people.
3. It lets whoever is the recipient know why the money was donated.
It is donated in the name of the Church, which donates it in the name of Christ.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 am

Harvey flood survivors are setting up tents on their roofs
http://nypost.com/2017/08/29/harvey-flo ... eir-roofs/

ImageDesperate times call for rooftop tents.

Williamson County, Texas, Sheriff Robert Chody tweeted a photo of a Houston house deep in flood waters — with residents making their emergency home up on the roof with tents.

“The total loss our team is seeing in indescribable,” he wrote. “Pitching tents on roofs.”

Chody’s tweet confused some residents of Williamson County, which is north of Austin and hasn’t been hit by torrential rains of Tropical Storm Harvey.

His department sent deputies to Houston to help first-responders here.

“The image of tent on roof is not in Williamson County but in Houston just to be clear taken from my deputies in Houston,” Chody wrote.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 am

ReadyMom, now that's a prepper for ya! :wave:
rickdun

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 am

anita wrote:I was going to suggest Charity Navigator as well. And I also gave to Samaritan's Purse.

There are plenty of faux police charitable groups, so they should be checked out as well.

The reality about this storm is that it was expected to be a Cat 1 until 24 or 36 hours before it made landfall. Those in Houston were told to stay put so that the masses weren't on the highway when the storm hit, causing much greater loss of life. Hindsight is always 20-20, and you can now say that those who didn't leave were foolish, but at least in Houston they were doing as told.

As I mentioned, my son is in Houston, his girlfriend just started a PhD program and they moved there a month ago. Great intro to the city!

They are on the second level of their apartment building, never lost power or water, although they almost did. Yes they are rather stuck there at the moment, but his girlfriend's program is supposed to start up again on Monday. If they had left, they wouldn't be able to get back. They did as they were told, and they are fine. A grocery is open near them, at least. Their biggest problem at the moment is lack of internet. Since my son works remotely, he can't work, but he's found a location with internet and will get back to work tomorrow.

They stocked enough food and water for at least a week and filled the bathtub and everything else they had with water when they thought they were going to lose it, but I'm sure that they are relieved that the grocery reopened (no produce and had just run out of water again right before they got there yesterday .)

The apartment complex was great, kept them apprised as to problems (when they were considering cutting water and power, for instance) and offered any vacant apartments to those on the first floor so that they could get their stuff higher in case it did flood.

So, before you paint the people of Houston with a broad brush, know that many of the people who stayed did exactly what they were told, and the mayor was making his best guess as to what to do.

I, for one, am impressed at how much better Houston is handling this, compared to New Orleans after Katrina. Granted, NO isn't much of a city compared to Houston, but there is a big difference in mindset about taking care of yourself and helping others, rather than waiting for some government entity to take care of you.

this hurricane SHTF is the perfect example of the necessity of not only having water stocked - but also "the last minute" preps for adding additional water resources - a WaterBob for an apartment prepper is about as mandatory as it comes - 100 gallons of potable water sealed and ready to go when needed .... the 5 gallon collapsible poly jugs are a smaller version of the WaterBob - almost flat when collapsed and stores in all those apartment wasted space cubbyholes ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby anita » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 am

I know what my son is getting for Christmas, Illini! Thank you!

After Katrina, people in Bucks County, PA, where I live, and the neighboring county of Montgomery (both Philly northern suburbs) got together and adopted a town in Mississippi. They got the names of families in the towns (I think we got a letter from the family, but not sure) and individuals adopted a family. The family told us what they wanted--my family had three and nine-year-old boys, I believe. They wanted clothes (I knew the sizes), blankets, toys for the kids--I remember getting a soccer ball and football, books--and basic necessities like soap and deodorant, if I remember correctly. Since I had 4 and 14-year-old boy at the time, I sent them a lot of kids' clothes that didn't cost me anything as well.

They told us what stores were open in the area, and I got gift cards for WalMart, Home Depot and Outback. All the stuff got taken to Byers' Choice (which is located in Bucks County, makes Christmas and holiday figurines) and was trucked down to Mississippi.

A group of contractors and skilled labor got together and went down and put up a day care for them, and later a food pantry.

I think that was an excellent way to help. I called Byers' Choice the other day to see if they were doing it for Texas/Louisiana, but sadly, no. The owner who had been one of the spearheads of the Katrina effort has retired, and most of the other people who organized it have retired or passed away, so nothing is being done, to my knowledge. I'd be tempted to take it on myself, with help, but I'm moving in a month, so that's eating my time.

I'm mentioning this because it may give someone an idea of what can be done.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby anita » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 am

ajax727 wrote:Anita your son had a good leader you , you did an excellent job on getting him prepared . -- snip --

Thanks. He was moderately prepared. Had stocked up on water and food. I told him to get a flashlight, batteries and headlamps. Who knows if he did or not.

As the water was rising he was getting a constant stream of texts. Fill the tub. Fill containers with water and get them in the freezer. Put all the water bottles in the refrig. Fill containers with water. Find the pepper spray and take it out with you when you leave the apartment. Wash the clothes. Wash the dishes. Boil water if you use it. And on and on.

Finally he told me to stop texting so he could get things done.

I don't think he's ever going to think what I do to be self-sufficient and prepared is ridiculous again.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rickdun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:37 pm

There is another tropical depression forming in the Gulf of Mexico but they say this one will miss the Texas coast line and is expected to go further east.

Also, in the Atlantic hurricane Irma is now a cat-2 and is expected to be a cat-4 by Sunday or Monday. The weather channel has two tracks, one will be the east coast (Florida up the coast) or will track further south of Florida and into the Gulf of Mexico. Either course is not good for a cat-4. It is also possible that it could be a cat-5 according to the weather channel.

Everyone on the southern east coast and the Gulf of Mexico should keep a close eye on this one too.
rickdun

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm

anita wrote:I know what my son is getting for Christmas, Illini! Thank you!

After Katrina, people in Bucks County, PA, where I live, and the neighboring county of Montgomery (both Philly northern suburbs) got together and adopted a town in Mississippi. They got the names of families in the towns (I think we got a letter from the family, but not sure) and individuals adopted a family. The family told us what they wanted--my family had three and nine-year-old boys, I believe. They wanted clothes (I knew the sizes), blankets, toys for the kids--I remember getting a soccer ball and football, books--and basic necessities like soap and deodorant, if I remember correctly. Since I had 4 and 14-year-old boy at the time, I sent them a lot of kids' clothes that didn't cost me anything as well.

They told us what stores were open in the area, and I got gift cards for WalMart, Home Depot and Outback. All the stuff got taken to Byers' Choice (which is located in Bucks County, makes Christmas and holiday figurines) and was trucked down to Mississippi.

A group of contractors and skilled labor got together and went down and put up a day care for them, and later a food pantry.

I think that was an excellent way to help. I called Byers' Choice the other day to see if they were doing it for Texas/Louisiana, but sadly, no. The owner who had been one of the spearheads of the Katrina effort has retired, and most of the other people who organized it have retired or passed away, so nothing is being done, to my knowledge. I'd be tempted to take it on myself, with help, but I'm moving in a month, so that's eating my time.

I'm mentioning this because it may give someone an idea of what can be done.

might not find the WaterBobs back in stock until next year - everything in the water container category is in back orders right now ... keep an eye on Cheaper Than Dirt for the WaterBobs ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Houston, DHS officials warn residents of fake agents after Harvey

[snip]

Officials issued a warning Wednesday after disturbing reports surfaced of people impersonating Homeland Security special agents and telling residents to evacuate in order to rob their homes in the wake of devastating flooding from Harvey.

The city of Houston said people should ask anyone knocking on their doors for official badges and credentials with their name and organization. The city's statement also noted that, during Harvey relief efforts, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is not conducting immigration enforcement operations in the area.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/30/ho ... gents.html
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:19 pm

I heard it was 4 teenagers and other versions, not sure if this is another rumor type deal going around, but
likely it is happening.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 pm

I live west of austin and we only got one inch of rain from the whole storm situation that Harvey brought. Today while I was at work I noticed a gas station about 35 minutes north of us had no fuel to purchase. I thought this was odd. I hadnt heard about any shortages. By the time I got back to town and such most gas stations were out. A couple had gas and a couple had diesel but none of them had both. I guess some social media scares went out and people were absolutely losing their minds. I know some of the refineries were shut down and such but Ive heard some were coming back online tomorrow. Im not sure if its because its Labor day weekend or what but it made me really wake up a bit. To me in this area, there was no reason for a concern such as this. I can only imagine if there was a nation wide emergency......it sure is an eye opener.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 pm

kenjabroni wrote:I live west of austin and we only got one inch of rain from the whole storm situation that Harvey brought. Today while I was at work I noticed a gas station about 35 minutes north of us had no fuel to purchase. I thought this was odd. I hadnt heard about any shortages. By the time I got back to town and such most gas stations were out. A couple had gas and a couple had diesel but none of them had both. I guess some social media scares went out and people were absolutely losing their minds. I know some of the refineries were shut down and such but Ive heard some were coming back online tomorrow. Im not sure if its because its Labor day weekend or what but it made me really wake up a bit. To me in this area, there was no reason for a concern such as this. I can only imagine if there was a nation wide emergency......it sure is an eye opener.

Our son is in McAllen, with the RGVFC Torros. He has his car down there, with him. I heard, on the radio, today that Houston is responsible for 90% of Texas fuel and gas stations were running out. I texted him and told him to fill up. Better safe than sorry, till we get a handle on the true effects of the supply.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters