• Advertisement

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby daaswampman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Take your choice - some lost gas or body damage, filler damage, and lost gas! It takes five seconds to rip one off and anyone needing to steal gas, will not worry about a little damage to your vehicle. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Make plans for long term solutions to this problem, in the short term, I wouldn't worry about it, since this problem should not last (unless we get another disaster coming in on the tail of this one, which is something that can never really be ruled out).

Real long term solution might be two tanks,
and only one can be drained from the gas cap.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby Mollypup » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

anita wrote:
Mollypup wrote:Anyone in area might want to purchase locking gas caps for their vehicles if they haven't already. It's not that difficult to siphon gas out of a tank.

That's a good idea, except for getting to a store that sells them that's open! Don't the little doors over the gas cap on a fair number of cars lock these days?

I don't know Anita. I don't have that modern a vehicle. But I'd imagine the little doors can be pried open with a tool, so a locking gas cap would be a 2nd level of defense in that case.

I know it might not be so easy in the flooded areas to get to a store, but it's a good idea for anyone that might be affected by the shortage. Not to mention, it's good to have as a prep item anyway. Any time there is a fuel shortage there will be folks out siphoning gas out of tanks to fill their own. Many SUVs and the like hold quite a lot of gas.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:45 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:67 here today, really feeling like fall. Got a cantaloupe, watermelon, and some of the irrigated locally
grown produce this morning, won't be much more of it, I still have tomatoes and some peppers. Maybe
some cukes and squash, need to check, very very dry here.

PS you were positively balmy! We were 53 degrees & rain (lots of rain). Sat here in my fleece jammies determined not to turn on the heat to get the damp chill out of the house. I'd had the windows open last night.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:30 am

Just came in from feeding the cows and found this article on the water tests that an independent lab did on the water in Texas after Hurricane Harvey. CNN this morning said the water may also contain flesh eating bacteria, but it is not in this report, very scary.

I just can't get this song out of my head, "God Bless Texas"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/01/health/ho ... index.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:13 am

rickdun wrote:Just came in from feeding the cows and found this article on the water tests that an independent lab did on the water in Texas after Hurricane Harvey. CNN this morning said the water may also contain flesh eating bacteria, but it is not in this report, very scary.

Katrina time - there was a whole convention of doctors that got trapped in a Hilton or Sheraton downtown NOLA - they did some VIP dickering and got evac vehicles sent - before the docs allowed anyone to wade the few yards in the cesspool - everyone got a series of immunizations and got inspected for the least little cut .....

there's the contaminated water - there's also those refugee shelters - bringing in God only knows what diseases - could even be carriers that have been isolated and now living among people with absolutely no natural protections from the disease ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby TRex2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 am

rickdun wrote:Just came in from feeding the cows and found this article on the water tests that an independent lab did on the water in Texas after Hurricane Harvey. CNN this morning said the water may also contain flesh eating bacteria, but it is not in this report, very scary.

Bacterial reports are a waste of time to look at. You should always just assume massive bacterial levels in any flood. I would be surprised, actually I would be alarmed, if there were not massive bacteria levels in flood water. As for flesh eating bacteria, that is a marketing gimmick name, to sell the news. It is almost always MRSA (or just regular staph aureus) or Strep, and begins necrotizing flesh when the body loses its ability to fight back.

Everyone exposed to flood waters should be checked for signs of infection as soon as possible after they are out of danger from the flood, itself.

The map of possible sources of chemical contamination is interesting, but testing waters for other than normal contaminates will have to be done later, the source is pretty much irrelevant.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:01 am

Someone posted on one of the 'mom' facebook pages that I'm on that she is still in a flood zone and one of her relatives drank water from their tap and is now very sick. She said they are under a 'boil advisory' and water was not boiled. They can not get to a hospital due to floods and is asking for help on what to do to help relative. Most of her family/friends were rescued a few stayed. They stayed are in Beaumont.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TRex2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:02 pm

This is bad.
In good times, this would be the common 72 hour bug.
How long ago did they drink the water?
I just looked again and saw that this is from a facebook posting. If you don't know them, I recommend not getting involved. Facebook is known in my world for a lot of things, and none of them are good.

The person needs lots of clean (filtered, even if through a coffee filter, and then boiled) water. They really need to be out of that situation, and they really need to see a doctor. But if that isn't possible, there are some things worth trying.

Charcoal capsules may help, but almost no one keeps those. Maybe powdered cloves, but I don't have much knowledge of how to use those.

If fever is present, they can take Ibuprofen or maybe Tylenol, but not too much.
Fever is one of the body's defense mechanisms. Allow the fever to do its thing.

And more water. As long as their stools are loose, but not bloody, and as long as they don't dehydrate, they should eventually recover. Same with vomiting, as long as blood isn't coming up...

After two days, try to get some carbs and protein into them, each day.
TRex2

Postby anita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:46 pm

My son just told me that his girlfriend's aunt, who they were helping with cleanout of their house a couple of days ago, is now in the hospital due to infection.

Next step, hospitals overwhelmed, I suppose. Great.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby TRex2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:50 pm

anita wrote:My son just told me that his girlfriend's aunt, who they were helping with cleanout of their house a couple of days ago, is now in the hospital due to infection.

Next step, hospitals overwhelmed, I suppose. Great.

Absolutely. Predictably. Hospitals should be employing triage,

and prepper groups should have a field medic identified.

At minimum, have a book like "Where there is no Doctor" around.
TRex2

Postby anita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Just ordered my son some collapsible water jugs (available on Amazon), also headlamps, work gloves, N-95 masks, solar lantern, Lifestraw, Manuka Honey and Bacitracin.

Even though I have Amazon Prime, it won't get there till Sept 14. I assume their Houston area warehouses are flooded.

I am going to ship him a few things this week as well. Will be interesting if USPS can get things somewhere faster than Amazon, for once.

They did get mail yesterday, so that has resumed. Grocery has produce. He is very fortunate.

He lives near the medical center, which was trashed in a previous hurricane. Looks like all the water diversion remediation they did really helped.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby bacpacker1513 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Anita, glad to see all that has worked for your son. And all the info you have provided. Good info for new peppers to build any flood/hurricane scenario around. Thanks
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 pm

I would expect a lot of infections in the coming weeks, but it will not be a rare super bug! It will be people with less than perfect immune systems and increased exposure. We seen the same thing with Katrina, Rita, and every other flooding event. Soon to follow with be the problems associated with molds and I am grateful it is not July. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:14 pm

TRex2 wrote:This is bad.
In good times, this would be the common 72 hour bug.
How long ago did they drink the water?
I just looked again and saw that this is from a facebook posting. If you don't know them, I recommend not getting involved. Facebook is known in my world for a lot of things, and none of them are good.

The person needs lots of clean (filtered, even if through a coffee filter, and then boiled) water. They really need to be out of that situation, and they really need to see a doctor. But if that isn't possible, there are some things worth trying.

Charcoal capsules may help, but almost no one keeps those. Maybe powdered cloves, but I don't have much knowledge of how to use those.

If fever is present, they can take Ibuprofen or maybe Tylenol, but not too much.
Fever is one of the body's defense mechanisms. Allow the fever to do its thing.

And more water. As long as their stools are loose, but not bloody, and as long as they don't dehydrate, they should eventually recover. Same with vomiting, as long as blood isn't coming up...

After two days, try to get some carbs and protein into them, each day.

Thanks T. I passed along the recommendation, with the caveat that it was ADVICE given in an emergency situation.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Disasters