• Advertisement

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby Photon Guy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Someone posted on one of the 'mom' facebook pages that I'm on that she is still in a flood zone and one of her relatives drank water from their tap and is now very sick. She said they are under a 'boil advisory' and water was not boiled. They can not get to a hospital due to floods and is asking for help on what to do to help relative. Most of her family/friends were rescued a few stayed. They stayed are in Beaumont.

Boiling will kill bacteria but it will not get rid of other contaminants such as toxic chemicals. Furthermore dead bacteria can break down into toxic chemicals. What I've got is a distiller, it completely evaporates the water and then condenses it into its pure natural form. Distilling takes time and you need electricity but if you ask me its the best way to go. If you can't distill than I would recommend boiling but also filtering.
Photon Guy

Postby Mollypup » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:14 am

Photon Guy wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:Someone posted on one of the 'mom' facebook pages that I'm on that she is still in a flood zone and one of her relatives drank water from their tap and is now very sick. She said they are under a 'boil advisory' and water was not boiled. They can not get to a hospital due to floods and is asking for help on what to do to help relative. Most of her family/friends were rescued a few stayed. They stayed are in Beaumont.

Boiling will kill bacteria but it will not get rid of other contaminants such as toxic chemicals. Furthermore dead bacteria can break down into toxic chemicals. What I've got is a distiller, it completely evaporates the water and then condenses it into its pure natural form. Distilling takes time and you need electricity but if you ask me its the best way to go. If you can't distill than I would recommend boiling but also filtering.

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you require electricity to distill water?? Would not finding a way to use a cover for the boiling container that would allow the steam to condense into another clean container work? I'm thinking primitive still mechanism here.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 am

Well, finally, some good news. Not great, but better.

Most flood areas, except some along the coast, have peaked, and the remaining ones are expected to peak tonight and tomorrow. After that, the flood waters should be receding everywhere, not just in a few spots.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby rickdun » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:55 am

Mollypup wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you require electricity to distill water?? Would not finding a way to use a cover for the boiling container that would allow the steam to condense into another clean container work? I'm thinking primitive still mechanism here.

Yes, my brother in law has made several distillers out of pressure cookers, he gave me one and it works great on a gas stove or open fire, of course it's works better over a gas burner.

TRex2 wrote:Well, finally, some good news. Not great, but better.

Most flood areas, except some along the coast, have peaked, and the remaining ones are expected to peak tonight and tomorrow. After that, the flood waters should be receding everywhere, not just in a few spots.

It's about time, you Texans have gone through too much already and so has Lousianna. Going to a prayer meet at church this morning for you guys. God Bless.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Mollypup wrote:
Photon Guy wrote:

My machine that distills water runs on electricity. You could rig something up to distill water that wouldn't use electricity although it would be less efficient than an electric distiller like what I've got.
Photon Guy

Postby anita » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:51 pm

I had seen info on a solar water distiller ages ago, and tried to order one, but the shipping was about $40 for a $200 item, so I didn't. There are some on the market, as well as DIY instructions.

Here's one:
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/memss ... oGEALw_wcB
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 pm

What I'm wondering is Texas wanted to secede from the union, they could make it on their own etc, now they
want aid. I have no problem giving aid to any state in the union even Texas. However, their congress people
voted against helping other flood victims who needed help and that wasn't right. We will give it, but what
happened to all that independence, we don't need nobody stuff?
PatrioticStabilist

Postby anita » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:What I'm wondering is Texas wanted to secede from the union, they could make it on their own etc, now they
want aid. I have no problem giving aid to any state in the union even Texas. However, their congress people
voted against helping other flood victims who needed help and that wasn't right. We will give it, but what

Ted Cruz and others voted against providing aid to Sandy because the bill was larded up with pork. It's not that they didn't want to give money to help Sandy victims.But there was money for Alaskan and Mississippi fisheries, Wallops Island, Cape Kennedy, and head start programs (all-be-it in NY and NJ, but $100 million??)

Let's have a straight-up bill instead of larding it up with crap for once.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:44 am

They are always like that, betting the one for Texas aid is the same.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:57 am

anita wrote:
PatrioticStabilist wrote:What I'm wondering is Texas wanted to secede from the union, they could make it on their own etc, now they

Ted Cruz and others voted against providing aid to Sandy because the bill was larded up with pork. It's not that they didn't want to give money to help Sandy victims.But there was money for Alaskan and Mississippi fisheries, Wallops Island, Cape Kennedy, and head start programs (all-be-it in NY and NJ, but $100 million??)

Let's have a straight-up bill instead of larding it up with crap for once.

that entire BS about TX was early on Evil State Fake News - the boondoggle extra crap included in that Sandy Relief Bill was all DNC - then they tried to capitolize with fake news - Cruz wasn't the only GOPer that got slapped by that - if I remember correctly it was more Crispy Cream Christy backstabbing involved ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Previous

Return to Natural Disasters