• Advertisement

Where do you Draw the Line on Providing for the Family

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Where do you Draw the Line on Providing for the Family

Postby Cadit » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Greetings All:

I was thinking the other day; in grid down situation where everything has gone south, where do you draw the line in gathering food and supplies for your family? Do you kill (murder) innocent families to keep yours alive. Steal where you can? What, how would you and how far would you go?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: Where do you Draw the Line on Providing for the Family

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 pm

“A man's got to do what a man's got to do.” John Wayne

No apologies - no regrets! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Between the what I have stored, the garden, chickens, goats, and hopefully soon cattle, we shouldn't have a problem. Also hoping to get some more land cleared, and fields planted for grains and alfalfa. DD and SIL now have a wood stove for winter heating (and possibly cooking) and we have plenty of wood to fire it. The ONLY time I'm likely to need to use firearms is for hunting or defense, (OR to shoot the darned rattlesnake that decided to hang out around my house!) so no problems there.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby founderant » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:28 pm

If American settlers took the path of murdering and stealing from their neighbors they would not have survived. A better course of action would be to work together to protect each other from those who will murder and steal. If you have to resort to murder, you were not a Prepper to begin with.
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Postby rickdun » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:49 am

A human is more like an animal when it comes to survival, they will do whatever it takes to survive. The real question is, will a person do whatever it takes to keep themselves and their family safe/alive.

I believe most, not all, but most will do what it takes to survive, but some can not, it's not in them to kill someone, even if it's them or you.

My name is not O'bozo, I do not draw red lines. My name is Mad Dog Mattis, all options are on the table, including death.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Lynda1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:25 am

Cadit wrote:Greetings All:

I was thinking the other day; in grid down situation where everything has gone south, where do you draw the line in gathering food and supplies for your family? Do you kill (murder) innocent families to keep yours alive. Steal where you can? What, how would you and how far would you go?

I don't see the correlation between this and prepping. Aren't we prepping so we don't have to resort to this? Why would we kill innocent families to steal what they have? I'm of the mind set that it's better to work together.
Lynda1

Postby RockinB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:13 am

We have no line drawn when it comes to providing for our family. We have prepared for a very long time to become self sustaining and we have also prepared for a very long time to defend ourselves and our property from those zombies that will kill innocent people to take what they think they need.

If one is planning on stealing and killing to survive any situation that limits or negates one's ability to provide for his family one needs to perish quickly along with ones family. Doesn't have to be grid down. A job loss, dollar collapse, economic depression or generational poverty from morons raising morons propels some people to steal and kill. A grid down is the worst situation that will compound underlying issues and may force some people to become violent. Those people becoming evil had a propensity for evil that was already there.

Like others have posted, if a prepper is planning on stealing & killing to provide for himself and his family when SHTF he isn't a prepper he as an evil creature that needs dispatching quickly and never should have had a family in the first place.
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby rickdun » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:34 am

RockinB, you're correct. I guess I should have said in my post that I'd do anything to protect my family, farm, along with its contents, not somebody else's property. We are, like you, basically self sustainable. You never break into somebody else's home unless you plan on taking the chance of dying of lead poisoning.

If somebody wants to steal my chickens, cattle, trees for firewood, etc., or try to inflict harm on me or a family member, they will be met with force, deadly force if necessary.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby NorthernMich » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:59 am

GOD.....Family.....Friends....that's HOW I was raised :)

that said...Testament laws...no stealing or murder....never the innocent but rather the guilty....get in THE Word....lots of wisdom therein for the previously asked questions...
NorthernMich

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:17 am

hell of a split in your posting questions posed ....

it's one thing defending your family by direct protection AND the supplies that are going to keep everyone alive ....

whole different cat becoming a raider because you f____ed up and didn't prep .... don't try to justify actions like this to a TRUE prepper - there's ABSOLUTELY no excuses acceptable ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cadit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:25 am

Yes to a lot of these post, but you can't say for sure that what ever event happens, doesn't leave you homeless and with out supplies. You can have all the supplies and a large farm with crops, but that doesn't mean it can't be taken away in just a few seconds. And I'm not talking about a bunch of people coming in and taking it either. These things happens and no one can prevent it from happening to them. I see that most have the mindset that what they have will always be available to them, not so. There are many a thing that could happen to wipe out all you reserves and leave you homeless. It doesn't matter where you live, there is something that can happen to up-root you and your family.

We must keep open minds to what can or want happen us and be vigilant to the ability to adapt. Because if we close our minds to the possibility of something taking away what we have prepared for, then we fall into that well of despair that can lead us and our family to an undesirable end. So: yes, be prepared, but be flexible in your thinking and planning. We can't plan for every event, but we can condition our minds to compensate when it does. This is what I was trying to convey, but not very successfully, because most people go straight to I have this and act like it is all they need and will be there no matter what. Wrong my fellow preppers.

I do enjoy reading your comments and suggestions. Lets me know that we are still thinking, which is a good thing.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Cadit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 am

I like founderant's response to the issues at hand. Our early settlers had the mind set of changing circumstances and adjusted for them. If we isolate ourselves, then when we need that help, we have no one to look to. Even in the days of frontier settlement, they would come together for mutual protection and survival. But: the pioneer always kept an open mind as to what can happen, the unexpected and relied on his fellow settlers to help.
Cadit
Cadit

Postby Drakenstead1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Given that we're in the process of putting up what looks like one hundred pounds plus of plums from our single Mont Royal plum tree this is a timely topic for us.
All our lives we have been producers. We both worked in jobs where we actually made things and lived a life style (even while living in a city of a quarter of a million people) where we grew and preserved much if not most of what we ate. The fact that we had my family's small farm to fall back on help but it was our labor that produced as part of that family. DW did sewing and I did wood working, hunting and fishing on the side. We lived well while many we knew lived on the margin and the verge of financial ruin while commanding higher incomes than we did. We continue this life style to this day.

Then the question comes up as in this thread. When things get ugly do we share with those same folks who laughed at our mended or home made clothing or turned up their noses in disgust at our home grown, or wild harvested food preserved in our own kitchen? Do we share with the folks who went to Europe or Mexico on expensive vacations while we paid off our mortgage finally buying and owning our homestead free and clear? Do we feed those who called us fools or worse for making sure we could survive hard times? Do we indulge our moral and practical superiority while our neighbors go hungry or plan to kill us and take what they want?

I have to say that the answer is a qualified YES. We are human beings carrying with that label all of the evil and the good that it implies. We're neither angel nor demon but something in between. Humans by and large, except for the ten percent or so of us that are psychopaths have in our hearts things like compassion and responsibility to our communities. We are ill suited except in extreme circumstances for killing our own kind. We will share what we can, teach what skills we can and when necessary fight to keep our extended family and community alive and fed. We will not put our own lives and security at risk without cause and we will not impoverish ourselves but we will do those things that actually made and still make us human. We will co-operate.

That being said we will also defend ourselves with extreme violence and utter cold logic when faced with that ten percent of psychopaths out there or with desperate neighbors who have forgotten the principals for being human outlined in the last paragraph. Things are never only one way with a single planned response. Things are often many optioned and often they are "both/and". We are capable of going both ways. We can feed the hungry, clothe the naked, comfort the afflicted and bury the dead. We can also fight like a pack of wolves and kill every threatening creature or circumstance in sight or die trying.

I plan to stay human but I do not plan to die an idiot.
Drakenstead1

Postby daaswampman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Cadit wrote:Greetings All:

It is interesting how people cannot read a question and respond to what the question asked! The above question did not ask about your preps or what our ancestors did. It asked what you would do in that situation!

I am as well prepped as anyone I have ever met, but there is no guarantee in could be lost in an instant! If you think our ancestors survived by being all nice an inclusive to each other, then you don't know much about our history! Throughout our entire known history, more humans have died due to other humans, than all other causes combined.

The only thing that has changed, we are less direct and less kind than just knocking their brains out! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 pm

I listen to the stories DIL is telling me about her grandparents in Russia, how they worked hard, had a farm, decent
life and it was all taken from them. How the government treats the people there and what hopelessness is like.
She and her sister both emigrated, she said America is her country and home. She loves her family but she said they
will stay there, there is nothing you can do for them really. She told me the country is just so corrupt its terrible
and with that and the mafia there people have no hope. We have no idea and hope we never will.
For them we can do nothing.

All we have is son, DIL, and grandson plus our daughter. We would do what we can, then MIL who is in an assisted
living facility I suppose we would have to bring home. I'm not sure what could be done for her, she can't remember
anything for long, but we would try.
PatrioticStabilist

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.