• Advertisement

Do You Use Cents (Pennies)

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Postby daaswampman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:39 pm

Just an interesting local observation! Almost every time I get cents in change, they are bright, shiny, and new! Where are all the older coins? Does anyone use them when they buy something? Does anyone roll them and take them to the bank? Or are they filling jars and the bottom or drawers like they do at Swamp's House?
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Do You Use Cents (Pennies)

Postby bacpacker1513 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I save all my change, sort it for keepers and take the rest to the bank for exchange
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:08 pm

I do the same. A coffee can hold 1or 2 hundred unsigned coinage. I usually get less because we sift.
When I crack a roll of coins at work, I have a look see at what's inside. Getting fewer and fewer keepers.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:16 pm

I have a rule...the older, copper pennies, I keep. The new ones get used. Same deal with dimes, quarters, etc. The 90% and 40 % ones get saved in appropriately marked tubes; the newer ones get spent.

Oh, except we ARE on the hunt for one of the newer Kansas quarters...has a little "glitch" on it that makes it worth $$$...instead of saying "In God We Trust", the T didn't come through, so it says "In God We rust". So check out your Kansas quarters, kids.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Stahlrosen » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:40 am

IceFire wrote:I have a rule...the older, copper pennies, I keep. The new ones get used. Same deal with dimes, quarters, etc. The 90% and 40 % ones get saved in appropriately marked tubes; the newer ones get spent.

Oh, except we ARE on the hunt for one of the newer Kansas quarters...has a little "glitch" on it that makes it worth $$$...instead of saying "In God We Trust", the T didn't come through, so it says "In God We rust". So check out your Kansas quarters, kids.

Interesting.........
We save ours too. Newer ones get rolled and exchanged.
Stahlrosen

Postby ajax727 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 am

I am bad for hoarding my change , ammo cans are a great way to store them . There are a few errors and missed stamped or stamped twice coins out there you just got to know what to look for .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Genevieve » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 am

we do the same. save all change, go thru it and then take it to the bank to turn for bills ( so we can start all over again lol) usually end up splitting up $2-$300.00 between us
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:09 pm

I do spend the pennies but I also have a little piggy that I put change in. I wrap and exchange for bills every so often.
We keep nickels however.
Quarters are saved for meters, tolls and car washes.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby handyman777 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:23 am

I save my pennies, I have an old glass absopure jug the (7 plus ? gal.) that is about 6 inch's deep now.
Dimes in a whisky jug and those new gold dollars in another. Why - ??? Now it has just become a game to see how much I can collect. I dread the day when I take it all to the bank too cash it in.

I do save found money (have a jug for that too) - see a penny I'll pick it up; not shy; ( No I won't jump in a crowd of people for 1 cent ) I've cashed in 80.00 dollars once in FOUND money :::: pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and bills of all denominations. :D
You know when times are getting tight, people don't lose there change. If I do see someone drop their change I will point it out to them.

Quarters and nickels are the two things I will spend. Why, I couldn't tell ya.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby derhaashund » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 am

I used to hoard HUGE amounts of change. Then it just became to unwieldy. Think a couple hundred pounds. I had saved it since I was about 16 and started to cash it in when I was 40. I now cash it in quarterly and put it into savings.

I'm also one of those that isn't ashamed to pick up a penny off the ground. I tell people it is a penny more than I had before and might be the last cent I need to save my life one day. You never know.
derhaashund
Earn gift cards to build your prep stash here http://www.points2shop.com/l/45/default?ref=uin1456091242 or PM me for more info.
derhaashund
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:12 am

Be careful putting coins in glass jars half gallon and bigger they will break because of the weight . I use ammo cans and 5 gallon buckets . I also pick up coins up off the ground parking lots and such , when I find them it is free money and will count up over time . I told a fellow he could have the coins in a bucket if he could pick it up by the handle , when he tried to pick it up the handle came off the bucket I knew that would happen it also helped that the bucket was nailed to the barn floor .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather